Gibson Brands Forums

I got wood

Rabs

So its been a while since I updated my projects...

As most of you probably know I had some kind of nasty muscle or tendon strain so I stopped work to heal properly and the good news there is im pretty much back to normal :D which is awesome cos I really thought id done some bad damage there.

Anyway.. My own builds are still on hold as im working on yet another project. But that's top secret at the moment ;) I will report on that one when its done.. and its a doozy.

This thread is about my new wood and I thought id see what you guys reckon is the best use for it.

So I went to another car boot sale yesterday.. I was actually looking for a Gibson and a Fender I was told was there last week but they wernt to be seen sadly (doubt they were real anyway).. Instead though I happened across these two massive lumps of mahogany which I got both for £5 :D its REALLY nice.

20130625_112359_zpsdd685ba1.jpg

20130625_112353_zps53864efb.jpg

20130625_161638_zpsad991509.jpg

Now as you will see its actually long enough for me to do a neck through. But im not sure how to proceed with it. I could cut the wood up and get several bodies out of it, or make two necks and a maybe two or three bodies (cos its so thick I could cut them in half). Or as I say I could actually do two neck throughs but will obviously need some wood for the sides which I may be able to get from off cuts if I do the neckthroughs (so many options :))

20130625_152834_zpsf83192c6.jpg

Now none of this is urgent. I have a current project im doing, and my first two builds to finish plus I have about five antique boxes to restore.. Lol.. but man I love this wood and it really excites me , the possibilities of what I could do with it.

But I thought id see what you good people reckon.

Ohh and I also have two more doors I found in skips to cut up at some point aswell :) (since starting all of this I am always on the lookout for wood to use and its crazy how much people throw away (maddeninig sometimes). (that one with the glass is ultra heavy so I will be interested to see whats under that paint).

DSC03025_zps155ca84d.jpg

If you can get two necks and two bodies out of it, I'd say go that route. Nice wood, bro! (didn't think I'd ever catch myself saying that) [scared]

Haha well thank you...

But I guess in a place where we all come to share GAS its not so unusual ;)

And yes I reckon I could get two neck throughs out of that including the extra body wings...

Build a house from the ground up. You've already got doors and the mahogany would make great door frames msp_flapper.gif

Your DIY axe looks great btw

Lol.. yeah I think that may be even beyond my skills ;)

And I cant wait to get back to my own builds, its been ages.. But I guess all good things come to those who wait :)

Good mahogany is like butter apparently - you can cut it with the grain, across or against it. What you've got looks like stair-rail columns or something. But not the doors, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to put mahogany doors in a skip are they?

Good mahogany is like butter apparently - you can cut it with the grain, across or against it. What you've got looks like stair-rail columns or something. But not the doors, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to put mahogany doors in a skip are they?

Lol, youd be surprised what people throw away..

The guy I bought the mahogany from said that it was part of a window frame from his house :o that must have been one big window :)

And all I know now is that door is freekin heavy. I found out today that some of the wood I used for the neck of my first build and the body of my second build is some kind of Elm wood. So I reckon that heavy door may be the same. And that wood is bloody hard it broke one of my jigsaw blades the last time I tried to cut it so it will make good neck wood. The other one is pine again which is fine for the bodies but way too soft for a neck.

Lol, youd be surprised what people throw away..

The guy I bought the mahogany from said that it was part of a window frame from his house :o that must have been one big window :)

And all I know now is that door is freekin heavy. I found out today that some of the wood I used for the neck of my first build and the body of my second build is some kind of Elm wood. So I reckon that heavy door may be the same. And that wood is bloody hard it broke one of my jigsaw blades the last time I tried to cut it so it will make good neck wood. The other one is pine again which is fine for the bodies but way too soft for a neck.

Elm is a very interesting and ancient wood of the family of the order Urticales which includes fig, hops, nettles, even cannabis. There are many different species of elm (30-40 in Europe alone), used for coffins and many ancient English elm trees were used as gallows. It is tough, cross-grained and not easy to work. Best of luck with your new door Rabs!!

Elm is a very interesting and ancient wood of the family of the order Urticales which includes fig, hops, nettles, even cannabis. There are many different species of elm (30-40 in Europe alone), used for coffins and many ancient English elm trees were used as gallows. It is tough, cross-grained and not easy to work. Best of luck with your new door Rabs!!

[blink] Thanks for that :P

Hard and easy to work with is a relative term anyway.. All wood can be cut well if you know what your doing.. This is why im using any old wood at the moment.. Since then I get to learn what I like and what I can or cant do to each type of wood. As long as its solid and has a good knocking sound im happy to use it :) and as far as im concerned the older the better.

Hey Boss - Ditch the doors. Keep that nice hog! No sense building stuff out of just anything any more. [thumbup]

:)

Yes im really happy with my "hog" .. Its some beautiful wood.

But I must say im still up for using recycled and salvaged materials. Pine is a fine wood for the bodies and indeed as we know the original Teles were built in pine and I think theres still one or two models that still are. So I have no issues with that (well we will see how the first build ends up first I think). The thing is that wood is not an unlimited source, one day if we keep up the deforestation even pine may be rare, so making stuff out of things that will otherwise be thrown away and burned is one of the things I want to continue to do and I think it is my responsibility to care about such things especially if my new career is in wood.

As I get further into this I will start trying to find a good source of wood. Theres plenty on Ebay and stuff but its best if I can find a local place where I can go and pick it up and hand select what I think are the best pieces.

All still early days yet, but looking good so far [thumbup]

Archived