Gibson Brands Forums

What is my guitar worth?

moej45

So last Fall I got my hands on a Jumbo in a trade. Its a player for sure and shows its age. She's got a brown hue rather than the black burst and other than that is in great shape. I seems like maybe a LONG time ago someone stripped it and refinished it but it would have been a long time ago as wood wear near the sound hole is from years of playing so my only reason to believe it was refinished is that it doesn't have that crackled nitro look to it? I dunno...here is pic here and any input for a broad range on the price would be nice. I'm not looking to sell but I have no idea and someone asked me what it was worth the other day.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/480970_4568196199275_989582561_n.jpg

480970_4568196199275_989582561_n.jpg

The guy I traded it too had been holding it for a long time and I don't think had looked into it too much. He said he thought it was mid 50's and it turns out its a 51.

I traded an 8 month old bought new J45 plus $300 cash

51' SJ, refinished top .... my guess $5k roughly ..

That seems high to me, about what early '50s SJs in excellent condition have sold for recently on eBay (although dealers are asking between $7K and $8K). Given the refinish, I'm guessing that you could get maybe $3K on eBay, while a dealer might be able to get $4K if he felt like he could say nice things about the refinish (despite it not being accurate). Assuming no other issues, of course.

-- Bob R

I think I'd go as high as 3G's, but I'd strip it down again and leave it natural and eliminate the p'guard. It's looks stained like a bookshelf would be. I've seen 'em with a heavy coat of Minwax 'polyshades' advertised as professionally refinished.

did P Fox do the refinish????

My thoughts exactly.....

For me $5K would be extremely high given the finish & burst. Unfortunately guitars are most often first judged with the eyes, I'd say you could get 2-3K for this given that a refinish is a necessity in its current visual state. However, I would be tempted to refinish it in the brown & honey tones rather than the black typical burst. But for sure this current finish screams P. Fox to me... which really isn't a plus point.

You may get more by having the guitar refinished yourself then selling rather than selling in it's current state of dress... unfortunately it's quite 'sartorially challenged' at the minute.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's the thing with her...A)Never selling unless a real desperate situation came up and B)She's the best playing/sounding acoustic I have ever had my hands on. Second was the 50's J45 of my high school girlfriend's Dad and this one SLAYS that J45.

I think I would at least put a proper pickguard on it. You sort of hate to mess with an old re-finish. I guess in the best world, you'd get Gibson to re-finish the top with a proper burst, but I don't know what it would cost. They might be reluctant to do it because of the damage around the soundhole.

The last "re-finish" Gibson did on the top of one of my guitars involved replacing the original 'burst with a cherry sunburst, which wasn't really part of the plan.

I think I would mind the re-finish less with a proper pickguard.

Archived