Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GusDB

Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage

Well ... congratulations are in order, never played on but Im guessing its similar to my AL SJ, and I know that is a smokin' guitar, so Im guessing yours ia also.

Anything in particular you want to know .. what are your thougths on it ?

Do you have some pics and even better, sound samples ..?

I got one about a week ago. Stunning guitar. Beautiful tone and great action. I tune all my acoustics down half a tone so that makes it a bit easier. They come with Gibson Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze strings but I don't know what gauge. Did you get the brown retro style case?

DSC00495-2_zps51027934.jpg

Bob

I got one about a week ago. Stunning guitar. Beautiful tone and great action. I tune all my acoustics down half a tone so that makes it a bit easier. They come with Gibson Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze strings but I don't know what gauge. Did you get the brown retro style case?

DSC00495-2_zps51027934.jpg

Bob

Looks like yours comes with a gold record. And to think that I should have been frustrated by my lack of talent when all I really needed was to shop at the right store! [tongue]

J/k. Nice looking guitar and enjoy it!

Yeah folks, the Southern Jumbo TV is amazing, bit the brown case is awesome. I'll place some pics that I took today

Congratulations! You have a fantastic instrument there. I have the J45 TV, and the Southern Jumbo is a built along the J45 design with different dressing -- the block inlays on the neck vs. dots, and the pick guard, and others. All around a great choice! The strings from the factory are 80/20 (I think). I have used D'Addario exp coated phosphor bronze (12's) and recently changed to D'Addario EJ16 strings (12's). I like the sound of the PB strings. You will find that string choice is a lot of personal taste and there are threads here on the forum that discuss strings at length.

I am sure I read somewhere Gibson put Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze Premiums on the SJs so I don't think they would be 80/20.

Milo, the disc is an original Platinum disc for the Traveling Wilburys album. Genuine article. I am sure you will love your SJTV as much as I do.

Bob

Very cool about the disc. Care to share a story about that one?

Not much of a story, but I knew a guy in NC who had a few of these things for sale; it is a genuine RIAA Award with the hologram. This one had only just been issued for that album and the recipient, a radio station, decided they did not want it, so I bought it. I don't know how many of these were made back then as each was a personal issue with the name of the recipient on the plate. They were issued to each singer, the record company and a few execs plus a number of radio stations used in the promo. Not sure who else. Maybe a cleaner or two :rolleyes: They compliment the guitar collection.

Bob

Not much of a story, but I knew a guy in NC who had a few of these things for sale; it is a genuine RIAA Award with the hologram. This one had only just been issued for that album and the recipient, a radio station, decided they did not want it, so I bought it. I don't know how many of these were made back then as each was a personal issue with the name of the recipient on the plate. They were issued to each singer, the record company and a few execs plus a number of radio stations used in the promo. Not sure who else. Maybe a cleaner or two :rolleyes: They compliment the guitar collection.

Bob

Great guitar and a amazing memorabillia about the Travelling Wilburys Platinum LP!

Does anyone konw the difference between the Southern jumbo TRUE VINTAGE and a the Southern jumbo NEW VINTAGE ?

Gus

Does anyone konw the difference between the Southern jumbo TRUE VINTAGE and a the Southern jumbo NEW VINTAGE ?

Gus

Is the TV not done in a VOS finish and the new vintage done in a shiny finish?

On a related note, I played a gibson sheryl crow southern jumbo yesterday and i have to say it was one of the nicest sounding guitars i have ever heard....so sweet!

Is the TV not done in a VOS finish and the new vintage done in a shiny finish?

And a different headstock logo. I have never understood the New Vintage name. I have a TV and a Sheryl and they are both great guitars but different. I think the Kristofferson is like the NV but not heard a comparison.

Bob

You say that there is a cosmetic difference between the new vintage and the true vintage?

As far as I'm aware, yes... TV is VOS, NV is like a shiny Std finish.

I don't have a NV to compare but looking at my TV and my SCSJ the TV seems to be more of a satin shine and the SCSJ a high gloss shine, so I expect the NV will be the same.

Bob