Gibson Brands Forums

Five essential pedals

brc

I have long sold a lot of my equipment, and thought for a project<just for some thing to do> I would build some pedals.

What are the five essential pedals used for blues, country, early rock.

I do have a couple pedals left, so its just more or less a project for idle hands.

Also, any one know of a good source for kits?

thanks for the help

My 5:

- Fuzz

- Delay

- Boost

- Overdrive

- Chorus

Is it that big of a difference? Phil X always uses one in his videos and Page used special ones when he recorded.

Yes, the notes last longer and it creates the impression of big sound since the notes that would have decayed are still ringing when you play the next notes.

Compressors can be used in different ways, like you can tighten the sound of a solo, you can actually drive the amp/pedal into distortion, you can ad shimmer to notes, you can send a compressed signal into a fuzz pedal, etc it depends on the pedal.

Example: I have a Vox Student amp from 1964, cranked all the way gives you a cool lo-fi lose overdrive, I put my compressor in front of it and the overdrive of the amp cleans up significantly making the sound tighter on both chords and single notes.

The challenge is to find a compressor taht fits your needs, I would not buy a two-knob model, it is a sublte effect and I like more control.

The Keeley 4-knob is the ideal standard here in Nashville, working guitarists essentially must have one on their boards.

My 5:

- Fuzz

- Delay

- Boost

- Overdrive

- Chorus

With a tuner and wah that would be my current board. Although I would deem a tuner to be more important to me than my chorus because I use it more.

With a tuner and wah that would be my current board. Although I would deem a tuner to be more important to me than my chorus because I use it more.

I never tune up...

But seriously, I forgot the tuner, if I was pressed for pedalboard space I would get a clip on tuner.

I have a very small S/S practice amp which doesn't have Reverb.

It DOES, however, have a really crap sounding "on/off (push-button) & dial-in-knob" o/d section. I'd quite like to rip that circuitry out and replace it with an aforementioned Reverb option.

Any suggestions of a cheap two-control (on/off & reverb depth) kit which could be wired up inside the combo - preferably one which could also be wired into the mains section to boot?

:-k

P.

I have never owned a tuner pedal. :-k

I use it for its signal cut feature more so than it's tuning. I put it sometimes at the end of my signal, in the middle or in the front. It depends on what I've got plugged into the chain. After my Fuzz and Overdrives gives me a nice chance to cut signal. Does anyone else do this type of thing?

My five essential pedals would have to be

Boost

Overdrive

Fuzz

Phaser

Delay

Guest Farnsbarns

The five things essential between guitar and amp are. 2 Jack plugs, 2 wire cores and some insulation. Nothing else is required at all! Pedals I consider fun/useful are....

A wah

A fuzz

A delay

A tuner

A compressor

A Phaser

A chorus

I have long sold a lot of my equipment, and thought for a project<just for some thing to do> I would build some pedals.

What are the five essential pedals used for blues, country, early rock.

I do have a couple pedals left, so its just more or less a project for idle hands.

Also, any one know of a good source for kits?

thanks for the help

what's in my five? od (tubescreamer), compressor (not so much with lp but yes with hollowbody), multifx (one pedal); pitch shift, tremolo, delay, phaser, chorus, flange) ... the phaser on this behringer multifx is pathetic and i don't use chorus or flange very often, reverb (because my tsa15 doesn't have it), and wah (but i'm fussy about that and use it sparingly).

od

compressor

multifx

reverb

wah

my can't do withouts are overdrive (never distortion and seldom fuzz), pitch shift (bottom end gets real baritone umph), delay (obviously), reverb (because my amp doesn't have it) ... I'd add a compressor and a separate phase pedal and sometimes wah to complete my setup. other options would be handy, like tremolo, chorus. actually for live applications a marshall and an lp do quite nicely ... truthfully i get bored during a set when i have to fiddle with pedals, i'm like set it and forget it!

"I know what I know and I know what I don't know, and I don't know ... discobobbulator moogerfooger (yet)."

Haven't used pedals for gigging since the early 80's, lucky enough to be in bands with other guitar players that loved the pedals so I didn't need to. For the studio I use rack stuff, TC mostly, for reverbs and choruses and stuff, still use my amps for grind and grunt.

rct

Great thread for me because I am only now apreciating pedals.

I remember when I got my first tube amp someone on this forum, no longer here, mentioned that it was odd for me to have a distortion pedal (BOSS D-1).

Ashamed, I removed the pedal and have it but never used it again. Frankly, the distortion I get from overdriving the tubes is quite nice and I now understand why it was pointed out as superfluous/pointless.

I now have, aside from the boss, a delay and my looper. I have a wha but have no idea how to use it so I just keep the crybaby as a...thing I may one day understand.

I think for a solo artist a looper is essential (synth, violin, or guitar or any instrument can use it).

The tuner is a clip-on for me, but I can see it being a hastle on-stage.

When I went to get the strat I have now (with the Lace pups) the guy had a world of pedals and I said, "overdrive?" He showed me. Man, that was better than distortion. In fact, I had a hard time distinguishing what it does compared to distortion, but it sounded better. I imagine distortion is an effect and overdrive forces the signal to...uhm, overdrive?

I also have a hard time telling apart delay from reverb unless the delay is set long. You can get chorus effect out of a delay pedal, right?

I now have, aside from the boss, a delay and my looper. I have a wha but have no idea how to use it so I just keep the crybaby as a...thing I may one day understand.

I like to use mine to exaggerate notes for example on the second half of the cant stop solo by red hot chili peppers. On stage im fearful of doing too big a bend so it gives me a bit of piece of mind.

For me the five essential pedals would be:

Overdrive such as Tube Screamer

Wah

Chorus

Reverb (with plate as an option)

Delay

Plus a good noise gate. That's all You'd ever need!

Cheers... Bence

Archived