Gibson Brands Forums

Any Other Wanda Jackson Freaks Out There

zombywoof

She was 'it' in her day. I saw her on a Chris Issac special last year.

If you watch another video from this show of 'Pick Me Up on Your Way Down' you'll see Merle Travis pickin' in the background

[thumbup] Ha ha, love her. Unfortunately those 1950's wowsers running the record industry

couldn't handle the thought of a female rocker so they promoted milk toast stuff like her

recording of Right or Wrong. You might say she was born 30 years too early. Imagine her

and Gretchen ripping it up together.

I've been listening to this one lately and it's a mighty good song:

Okay PickAx. That was brutal. and Excellent.

@J45Nick; the Elvis/JerryLee connection is no coincidence; she dated Elvis for a while, & reputedly Elvis (pre-big belt buckle) showed her a thing or two.

JuanCarlos- cool link you've put up here; Wanda Lavonne's delivery/style on this one is right up there with B. Dylan's "Everything's Broken". She's matured like a fine (albeit groovy) wine.

She is still out there touring and doing shows - i think that's great. The video with Justin Earle is very bittersweet as in blends in earlier video of her. It's a beautiful song and both just nail the feeling behind it.

Yeah, Wanda is the cat's meow, daddyo.

I've seen Wanda a number of times through the years, though the first time was relatively recently: about 20 years ago in San Francisco. She rocks live.

It was cool of Jack White to produce that CD, but I'm not fond of his production. He should have put her in Sun Studios with slap bass and no effects. Still, ...

Thanks for posting this, Zomby.

Archived