Gibson Brands Forums

1953 Gibson ES-175

kleinman

My single P90 ES-175. This is a great sounding ES-175....Good jazzy and Rock 'n roll tones

Control knobs possibly replaced....although black knobs were used in the early 50's on some ES models. Tailpiece replaced. Original Lifton case.

PHOTOS12.jpg

PHOTOS5.jpg

SAM_0447.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Vic

Nice guitar Vic! If the knobs and tailpiece are the only replacements then "count your blessings". Personally though, I would not 'rest easy' or be 'truly satisfied' until I had the 'period-correct' parts back on the guitar. To those with a trained eye for Vintage Gibson, those two items just scream out "wrong".

You probably feel the same way?

The guitar looks to be in excellant shape (the case as well).....Congrats [thumbup]

On second look, the black speed knobs may possibly be vintage VS modern repro? Although all '53 ES175's would have come with amber knobs. What is the white stuff inside the treble F-hole about? Looks like foam? Feedback Buster?

Nice guitar Vic! If the knobs and tailpiece are the only replacements then "count your blessings". Personally though, I would not 'rest easy' or be 'truly satisfied' until I had the 'period-correct' parts back on the guitar. To those with a trained eye for Vintage Gibson, those two items just scream out "wrong".

The guitar looks to be in excellant shape (the case as well).....Congrats [thumbup]

Indeed Retrorod...I'm looking for the correct parts.

On second look, the black speed knobs may possibly be vintage VS modern repro? Although all '53 ES175's would have come with amber knobs. What is the white stuff inside the treble F-hole about? Looks like foam? Feedback Buster?

Yes...I've never seen an ES-175 with black knobs so I will get it replaced when the correct knobs pop up....those and the tailpiece.

I have also removed the foamy white stuff which was there as feedback buster. The removal made a biiiig positive change to the sound as you would guess.

No worries, do what you can, when you can. I have a '53 ES125. That P90 p'up sounds wonderfull in mine. I am sure that yours is similar....!

Talking about the P90....I also have a 1957/8 single PAF (real PAF)ES-175, and I prefer the sound/tone of the P90.

Archived