Gibson Brands Forums

Well crafted J-35 review

EuroAussie

From the guys who told us good luck finding a better guitar than the J-45TV here is their J-35 review.

I actually thought this guy nailed how I also hear the J-35, which to my ears is a bit more barky, brighter than the J-45 and demonstrated in this clip really excels in the hard driving bluesey and Americana styles where a bit more bite and attitude is whats is called for.

My take on the J-35 is that its not a cheaper J-45 alternative but has its own spirit, it doesnt have the mellow sweetness of a J-45 but it has one hell of a bite and certainly its own voice.

Here are their J-35 and J-45TV reviews side by side, any prefernaces ?

btw: can this guy play or what, reckon he leaves big thumb Tony in the dust a bit ..

I actually thought this guy nailed how I also hear the J-35, which to my ears is a bit more barky, brighter than the J-45 and demonstrated in this clip really excels in the hard driving bluesey and Americana styles where a bit more bite and attitude is whats is called for.

My take on the J-35 is that its not a cheaper J-45 alternative but has its own spirit, it doesnt have the mellow sweetness of a J-45 but it has one hell of a bite and certainly its own voice.

I think these tests might define the difference once and for all - and it's bigger here than in Tony's A/B.

It seems the demonstrater have the meaning that the rounded shoulders provide more depth (3:55) than square ones - mmmmm aha. . .

And what is he saying in the 45 video on 3:36 ? , , , I just can't hear it.

I ain't gotta dog in this hunt as I would take neither of these guitars over the J-50 I own.

Gotta say though hands down I prefer the J45. I agree with the big dude when he says the J35 is bright - a bit too bright sounding for me.

Compared to the MVvideos they don't seem to have invested much into the audio capture of these guitars, sounds like a videocam or iPhone in a room, so no real comparison in sound quality. Not too sure about this guy being any better than Tony 'the thumb' P either...... his Bluegrass run was a bit lengthier I guess. I'd say I prefer the MV vids to be honest, but these are more like the general quality you find on youtube.

I will say I'm a wee bit bored of the clips Tony plays, but I can also see how handy it is to have each guitar demoed with the same pieces for direct comparison, what would be better is to have less of the bumph and the 'sign up here' stuff, a shorter clip with just the samples and a comparison tool on their site, so you choose 2-3 guitars and it loads the clips giving you just the required samples in sequence.

I liked both guitars for different reasons. If I was playing both and didn't know their price and then you told be that one cost hundreds of dollars or a grand more than the other, I'd take the J-35 as I didn't find the J-45TV to be WAY out in front. If it was going to be used and exposed to the rigors of gigging, I'd take the J-35. But then there is the matter of the sunburst and a certain something the J-45 has....

I had a J-45TV that I loved but I sold it after my J-35 arrived. I don't have a need for 2 slopes and from my understanding, the J-45TV and the J-35 both have advanced jumbo top bracing. As much as I liked the 45TV, to me, it wasn't worth the price difference. YMMV. Just curious though, why do so many here bag on Tony? His demos are helpful but I would never buy a Guitar based on a sound clip.

I like his reviews and his playing, but I think he's a little too heavy-handed on the strumming down by the bridge. I think it makes BOTH guitars sound bright and harsh.

It is interesting to watch all of the you tube videos featuring the J-35. Each player's technique shows different capabilities of the model.

Both sounded excellent. For me, this has nothing to do with which guitar is better, etc. Neither sounds better to my ears, but between these two particular guitars the J45TV sounds more like the guitars I prefer. I'm delighted to see and hear the excitement that is revolving around this new Gibson butt-kicker, but in this example, I favor the J45TV. Between guitars like these, there are only winners.

The reviews are apples and oranges, not just the guitars. This guy only flatpicks, whereas Tony gives you a reasonable range of fingerpicking and flatpicking, runs and strums. Also Adam here plays totally different stuff on each guitar, so you can't actually work out whether the J35 would respond as well when strummed as fast as the 45TV, or whether the latter would work as well for blues up the neck. Tony on the other hand clearly has the brief to do exactly the same licks on every guitar, so that we can all make a fair comparison. That's also why PM is bored with the MV videos, together with the marketing stuff which Tony obviously has to do contractually. I still don't get the heavy thumb rep either. There have been times I've found myself ripping my hair out because the guy doesn't dig in enough. Admittedly his thumb is heavier than his fingers, but that's just relative. I think I have a much heavier thumb, especially on one recording which EA said captured the real old-timey blues sound of Gibson slopes. And John Fullbright has an even heavier thumb - boosted by a thumbpick. Nobody here seems to find that invasive in the context of his songs.

As for why demos matter, Pickax, here in Europe we really don't have many shops selling Gibsons at all, let alone with several examples of any given model. If I were to go by the one J35 I've been able to locate and play, I'd not want one. What I've heard on the internet is more appealing. Now I want one, but not enough to want to replace my SJ with one. If I'd waited to play an SJ before buying, I'd still be waiting. Demos at least allow a buyer in these parts something with which they can guide online sellers who do have more examples of each model in stock.

The reviews are apples and oranges, not just the guitars. This guy only flatpicks, whereas Tony gives you a reasonable range of fingerpicking and flatpicking, runs and strums. Also Adam here plays totally different stuff on each guitar, so you can't actually work out whether the J35 would respond as well when strummed as fast as the 45TV, or whether the latter would work as well for blues up the neck. Tony on the other hand clearly has the brief to do exactly the same licks on every guitar, so that we can all make a fair comparison.

Agreed... I don't think the demos are all that great really and would give the nod to MV over these.

That's also why PM is bored with the MV videos, together with the marketing stuff which Tony obviously has to do contractually.

Agreed. I still think a comparison tool on their website would be the best use of these, you choose two guitars or more, the clips are loaded and played back to back etc... would be a wee bit of IT work involved but shouldn't be too hard or costly and it would be the best available tool on the net at the minute.

As for why demos matter, Pickax, here in Europe we really don't have many shops selling Gibsons at all, let alone with several examples of any given model.

Exactly, a handful of dealers spread far & wide is about it... that's what kills me with this 'gotta try before you buy' mentality, might be fine in a few states in the US, but anywhere else your internet (and a lot of hope) dependent.

Archived