Gibson Brands Forums

Signature Model: Steve Clark

RockNRoll89

I would like help trying to get Gibson to do a sig model of Steve Clark from Def Leppard. He almost always played Gibson and i have heard he was very close to them. Even a special edition limited run would be cool. Personally, i think it shows a sign of respect. I understand that Gibson guitars is a business but still, Clark wrote excellent riffs for def lep and many people know this. Myself included. Most people who like def leppard like the stuff up and through the end of hysteria...BEFORE Steve died. He was a great riff writer and player. I really would love to get a sig model out there and i think Gibson would make some money. After all, a three pick up les paul custom with a kahler is just an awesome guitar!

Sign me up! I'm all for it! He is one of my heroes (my Les Paul is even named after him!) If I'm not mistaken, his favorites were Les Pauls and he had a Firebird, an Explorer and the 18 string Razor in his collection!

He was a great guitarist, pulling a lot of his riffs from his Classical guitar training as a child.

In my opinion Steve Clark is one of the most under rated players ever. While Phil Collen was definitely the shredder of the group, even Phil will talk about what great soul Steve had in his playing.

I'm not much of a "signature series" guy, but I'd buy a Clark for sure.

NHTom

I think it would be a fitting tribute to a very underrated musician. All the videos and pictures that I remember seeing Steve in, he had a Les Paul...

He must have loves them. And he is so underrated. Why wouldn't Gibson create one? Def leppard was HUGE and Steve was a big reason for this because he wrote most of their songs. I have been talked to guitar center about it and asking them to buy some of they were made. Gibson just needs to know they will make money and I think they will!

Yeah i think it would be cool. Not only does he deserve it, but a 3 pickup ebony and/or white custom with a khaler would be very unique and something that isn't in the Gibson range right now, so it wouldn't "compete" with any other products. Good idea, let's hope Gibson agrees :)

I don't understand why they won't. [confused]:-k They have a Slash Signature one based on two that he got back in 1988 and used during "Use Your Illusion". Steve has been around a lot longer and is just as influential a guitarist, if not more so than Slash.

Just my humble opinion, though.

I don't understand why they won't. [confused]:-k They have a Slash Signature one based on two that he got back in 1988 and used during "Use Your Illusion". Steve has been around a lot longer and is just as influential a guitarist, if not more so than Slash.

Just my humble opinion, though.

I feel pretty much the same way. Slash was huge because of Appetite and nothing else was really big for him at least as big as AFD. He should have got an AFD signature but thats really it. Dont get me wrong i am a big slash fan but Steve is cooler in my opinion. I could sit and watch IN THE ROUND IIN YOUR FACE for hours because the way Steve moves around and his solos are so filled with soul! Oh man lol R.I.P. Steve Clark

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for it, but I thought one of the problems was that most of Steve's guitars were sold off after his death, and are scattered to the four corners of the earth? One would need to be verified in order to spec it out. I liked that unusual LP type one he played early on, during the High'n'Dry era, I think it was a tobacco burst GK-55 maybe?

I'm all for it, but I thought one of the problems was that most of Steve's guitars were sold off after his death, and are scattered to the four corners of the earth? One would need to be verified in order to spec it out. I liked that unusual LP type one he played early on, during the High'n'Dry era, I think it was a tobacco burst GK-55 maybe?

Actually, Steve's brother Chris has one or two of them. Quite a few were sold by his "girlfriend" at the time (whom he met in rehab) because she claimed that he wanted her to have them.

I think if they do come out with a Clark model, it should automatically come with about a ten foot long strap so we can all pretend to be as cool as Steve!!!

Back in the day..............

Awesome!

NHTom

I think if they do come out with a Clark model, it should automatically come with about a ten foot long strap so we can all pretend to be as cool as Steve!!!

Back in the day..............

Awesome!

NHTom

I'm with ya, Tom! Love that shape throwing he did! :)

• 5 months later...

Gibson can find out sufficient spec. details by visiting www.steveclarkguitar.com or asking me. I don't claim to know 100% but I know a good bit of detail.

I'm all for this... Clark was one of the most influential guitarists of the 80's. Robert Plant wanted him for his band project around '88. He was awesome! RIP

Steve Clark wont get a sig. for two simple reasons, 1., he's been dead for 20 years, 2., his popularity was at its height 20 plus years ago. The vast majority of guitar players today are gonna be like "Steve who?". Yes I know Randy Rhoads has been dead longer, and has a sig., but quite frankly I dont get why he got one either, for only 2 albums? Ok, just my thoughts.

Archived