Gibson Brands Forums

The Satan and Saint Paul Thread

Mojorule

It's been a while since the Steve Earle Goodbye thread, which was a joy because it brought so many of us scurrying out of hiding to lay down quite different versions of that one song. I thought it would be really great to set up something similar. There has been a lot of love for John Fullbright's music here, and this song especially. It's a really good one for your fingerpicking chops, but the chord sequence is relatively simple. This is my version to start it off. JF capos at the second fret, but I don't have a capo. Anybody else game for a bit of Satan and Saint Paul?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPgxPPoPYv0

Mojo -Your guitar sounds terrific in this clip-Gibson etched big. Good song and performance too. The bits of ornamentation in the playing lift it from a nice bluesy folk tune to something a bit more special.

Hope you get some other takers on this...but it will probably mean learning from scratch for a few of the potential posters...me included.

Always a sucker for those bibical lyric references too....even though I'm only a wedding and funeral church goer.I'll give you a [thumbup].

Soz, didn't figure it would be so hard. My version's not exact in any case, so I wouldn't trust any TAB I put together, even if I had time for that sort of shenanigans. (I checked online, and all the so-called TABS are just chords sequences.) It's basically Emin to G, to Amin to C, back to Emin to G, to Amin to B7, back to Emin and if you feel like doing something fancy, drop a bend or slide down from b on the 3rd string through bflat to a, then pull off or slide down to open g. I didn't do that bit very well in my version - I'm still a bit scared of bending on the Woody for some reason. The only real variation is the bridge where it goes from C(7) down to B7, to Emin, back to C7 down to B7 to Emin, back to C7, B7 and Emin, then goes to Amin and up to B7 and hold. Then it's back to the initial sequence, and only uses the Amin to B7 bridge thing again on the last couple of lines 'Get me out of Satan and Saint Paul'. As for the right hand, it's really alternating thumb between 6th string, 4th string, 6th string and 5th string. There are some downward and upward passing notes, especially in the bridge section, but I think it can work without them. Fingers are a bit more complicated, I admit.

Of course, the original is with capo, so for Emin, read F sharp minor, etc. As ever, I worked it out by ear, but I did use the video to work out that his G (A) chord is a barré and not an open job. Any help?

Archived