Gibson Brands Forums

Question about AGF

generaldreedle

Why did ya have to make the Rosewood crack? I was right there with ya up to that point?

I think I'll go back to the AGF where they understand me more than you Hog Snobs! Just let me fit in! Lol!

I wouldn't mind taking a turn on your SJ-200 Rosewood!!!! Even big body Gibson rosewood guitars sound better than Martin big body rosewood guitar, IMHO....still got that Gibson punch!!!

I was just on the AGF reading about Norman Blake since he is one of my guitar heroes and everyone was going on about Martins. I almost took the time to login and mention that Norman, last I heard and saw, was in a pretty solid Gibson phase now and he's had a bit to say about Gibsons and their use for old time music. Instead I just came over here to read a bit.

The AGF is very eclectic, kind of like Taylor guitars. This isn't a knock on Taylor. Taylors are "new age" and technologically up-to-date. No Taylor, even from the very beginning is old enough to be called "Vintage." They are very nicely made instruments. Gibson, is "old age." Has a vintage feel and reputation even when new. Gibson is technologically challenged. Far too-much human handwork still goes into building a Gibson. This leads to them being so-called "inconsistent." It's kind of ironic that on The AGF guitar builders who sell guitars for thousands-upon-thousands of dollars are praised because their guitars are handmade, yet Gibsons are always found at fault for something while factually being far-more handmade than Taylors or Martins.

It all comes down to personal preference. Sadly, on The AGF, often it leads to personal attacks on people and the Gibson brand. Few people are capable of simply saying "I don't like the Gibson sound," which is their choice. Not a thing wrong with that. I don't feel that way, but it's their choice. But it doesn't stop there. Many of these same people have to comment on Gibson quality and they don't have any idea of what they are talking about. They hear the same old stories about Gibson that thrive in The AGF environment. You repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth. Ignorance is never in short supply for those who fail to use commonsense. There are still people there who say only 10% of Gibsons are worth owning. Those who have owned/played Gibsons for 30-years and never found a good one. One might think they'd try keep quiet about continuously buying/playing bad guitars, but no way when it's a chance to hop-onto The Bash Gibson Wagon. And there are those who claim their necks will break. Those who claim that while the Taylors at GC are flawless, the Gibsons have crooked necks, finish flaws, misfit bridges, etc. Kind of like the people living in The Dark Ages believing in werewolves, vampires, demons, black cats. Fortunately, there are some moderators there who try to keep things friendly and respectful. I don't think it's an AGF goal to bash Gibsons. It's just that there's a huge number of members there and many of them simply don't know and have no intention of finding-out the facts. It's easier to follow someone else.

Taylors in church----I think part of it is because Bob Taylor is a staunch Christian. I also think Taylors are "voiced" for the chimmy and ringing sounds I often associate with "Praise Music." A lot of people like that sound. Again, it's all personal preference. Taylors are church and thoughtful, inspirational music. Gibsons are honkytonk, Dylan, Cash, Prine. Taylors are the girl you meet in church and take home to meet your folks. She's always polite and respectful. Gibsons are the girl you meet at the bar, and that's where you take her. She's not afraid to spit, cuss, tell someone to screw-off or get a little raunchy when she's in the mood........In addition, I play my Gibsons in church. It may mean I'm going to hell, but what a way to go.

I don't let stupid people bother me anymore. I used to get pissed, but I finally accepted the fact that you can't fix stupid, especially when it's someone's choice to be that way. Lots of good and intelligent people on The AGF, but you more often find them in serious threads where real and useful information is being discussed, not the bashing ones. When they comment on a bashing thread, it's typically to just bring some commonsense into the foray.......BTW, and this isn't "new" news, but there are more and more Gibson owners who frequent The AGF now. Bashing Gibsons isn't the proverbial "walk in the park" that it once was.

Meandering onward-------The AGF is a big forum. Lots and lots of members. Seems each brand has its own faction of supporters. Not near as tight-knit as you find here.

One more thing I've found over perhaps the last year or so on The AGF. More and more Taylor owners are feeling the need to justify why they own a Taylor. I figure they own a Taylor because they like it. That's a good enough reason for me. [thumbup]

You are soooh going to hell Larry .. ! B)

See you there.

The AGF is very eclectic, kind of like Taylor guitars. This isn't a knock on Taylor. Taylors are "new age" and technologically up-to-date. No Taylor, even from the very beginning is old enough to be called "Vintage." They are very nicely made instruments. Gibson, is "old age." Has a vintage feel and reputation even when new. Gibson is technologically challenged. Far too-much human handwork still goes into building a Gibson. This leads to them being so-called "inconsistent." It's kind of ironic that on The AGF guitar builders who sell guitars for thousands-upon-thousands of dollars are praised because their guitars are handmade, yet Gibsons are always found at fault for something while factually being far-more handmade than Taylors or Martins.

It all comes down to personal preference. Sadly, on The AGF, often it leads to personal attacks on people and the Gibson brand. Few people are capable of simply saying "I don't like the Gibson sound," which is their choice. Not a thing wrong with that. I don't feel that way, but it's their choice. But it doesn't stop there. Many of these same people have to comment on Gibson quality and they don't have any idea of what they are talking about. They hear the same old stories about Gibson that thrive in The AGF environment. You repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth. Ignorance is never in short supply for those who fail to use commonsense. There are still people there who say only 10% of Gibsons are worth owning. Those who have owned/played Gibsons for 30-years and never found a good one. One might think they'd try keep quiet about continuously buying/playing bad guitars, but no way when it's a chance to hop-onto The Bash Gibson Wagon. And there are those who claim their necks will break. Those who claim that while the Taylors at GC are flawless, the Gibsons have crooked necks, finish flaws, misfit bridges, etc. Kind of like the people living in The Dark Ages believing in werewolves, vampires, demons, black cats. Fortunately, there are some moderators there who try to keep things friendly and respectful. I don't think it's an AGF goal to bash Gibsons. It's just that there's a huge number of members there and many of them simply don't know and have no intention of finding-out the facts. It's easier to follow someone else.

Taylors in church----I think part of it is because Bob Taylor is a staunch Christian. I also think Taylors are "voiced" for the chimmy and ringing sounds I often associate with "Praise Music." A lot of people like that sound. Again, it's all personal preference. Taylors are church and thoughtful, inspirational music. Gibsons are honkytonk, Dylan, Cash, Prine. Taylors are the girl you meet in church and take home to meet your folks. She's always polite and respectful. Gibsons are the girl you meet at the bar, and that's where you take her. She's not afraid to spit, cuss, tell someone to screw-off or get a little raunchy when she's in the mood........In addition, I play my Gibsons in church. It may mean I'm going to hell, but what a way to go.

I don't let stupid people bother me anymore. I used to get pissed, but I finally accepted the fact that you can't fix stupid, especially when it's someone's choice to be that way. Lots of good and intelligent people on The AGF, but you more often find them in serious threads where real and useful information is being discussed, not the bashing ones. When they comment on a bashing thread, it's typically to just bring some commonsense into the foray.......BTW, and this isn't "new" news, but there are more and more Gibson owners who frequent The AGF now. Bashing Gibsons isn't the proverbial "walk in the park" that it once was.

Meandering onward-------The AGF is a big forum. Lots and lots of members. Seems each brand has its own faction of supporters. Not near as tight-knit as you find here.

One more thing I've found over perhaps the last year or so on The AGF. More and more Taylor owners are feeling the need to justify why they own a Taylor. I figure they own a Taylor because they like it. That's a good enough reason for me. [thumbup]

Taylors are the girl you meet in church and take home to meet your folks. She's always polite and respectful. Gibsons are the girl you meet at the bar, and that's where you take her. She's not afraid to spit, cuss, tell someone to screw-off or get a little raunchy when she's in the mood........

So it's God then, not content with starting wars he's now moved into arming his fearful minions with overly bright cookie cutter musical instruments. For all the 'love' we show him as a species he doesn't seem to like us very much, does he? No wonder everyone's confused, I mean what do you do when an invisible friend has fallen out with you?

Lots of good stuff here, especially about the stereotypical different cultural vibes existing between Taylor and Gibson owners.

It's also interesting to check out the AGF Classifieds section where you can usually find some Taylors, one or two R. Taylor (high end custom jobs) along with a variety of boutique stuff. But, in comparison, not a lot of Gibson acoustics. I'm assuming Gibson still sells lots of acoustics, so either their buyers tend to be more satisfied or they aren't selling them used on the AGF.

Taylors are church and thoughtful, inspirational music. Gibsons are honkytonk, Dylan, Cash, Prine.

Nice! Gibson to me represents a rebellion to the traditionalist in some ways. They weren't interested in "plain" guitars; they dressed them up for the stage. The nay sayers said the pickguards are too thick, the design too gaudy, the bridge not functional... but the Gibson fans love it and the attitude represented defies their snotty conventional wisdom!

Happy 4th!

Lots of good stuff here, especially about the stereotypical different cultural vibes existing between Taylor and Gibson owners.

It's also interesting to check out the AGF Classifieds section where you can usually find some Taylors, one or two R. Taylor (high end custom jobs) along with a variety of boutique stuff. But, in comparison, not a lot of Gibson acoustics. I'm assuming Gibson still sells lots of acoustics, so either their buyers tend to be more satisfied or they aren't selling them used on the AGF.

Nice line of thinking, but not really correct. Taylor makes three times as many guitars as Gibson annually, so there are naturally more in classifieds purely as there are more Taylors out on the market, plus on the AGF Taylor owners far exceed Gibson owners.

Nice line of thinking, but not really correct. Taylor makes three times as many guitars as Gibson annually, so there are naturally more in classifieds purely as there are more Taylors out on the market, plus on the AGF Taylor owners far exceed Gibson owners.

But, what about R. Taylors? Not a lot of those I don't think, but they come up for resale quite a bit. And, even if Taylors do sell lots more than Gibsons, it still seems like they turn over a lot more. It just seems like whenever I check the classifieds, there is always a few Taylors for sale and maybe a Gibson. For the regular Taylors, it might be that they have more moderately priced guitars.

Also, how do Martins compare to Gibsons in sales volume? Lots of Martins for sale on the AGF usually, as well.

But, what about R. Taylors? Not a lot of those I don't think, but they come up for resale quite a bit. And, even if Taylors do sell lots more than Gibsons, it still seems like they turn over a lot more. It just seems like whenever I check the classifieds, there is always a few Taylors for sale and maybe a Gibson. For the regular Taylors, it might be that they have more moderately priced guitars.

Also, how do Martins compare to Gibsons in sales volume? Lots of Martins for sale on the AGF usually, as well.

The AGF is dominated by Martin and then Taylor fans. There was a few polls made about favourite brand and the split normally is around 45% Martin, 40% Taylor and 15% Gibson. So its the same argument, simply more Martins and Taylors on the market and related owners on the AGF.

I wouldn't mind taking a turn on your SJ-200 Rosewood!!!! Even big body Gibson rosewood guitars sound better than Martin big body rosewood guitar, IMHO....still got that Gibson punch!!!

I would let you take her out for a whirl! She might be all gussied up with her fancy trim but she likes to be banged on hard! She ain't no schoolgirl but please wipe her down before you put her away for the night! Damn I need a cold shower!

It all comes down to personal preference. Sadly, on The AGF, often it leads to personal attacks on people and the Gibson brand. Few people are capable of simply saying "I don't like the Gibson sound," which is their choice. Not a thing wrong with that. I don't feel that way, but it's their choice. But it doesn't stop there. Many of these same people have to comment on Gibson quality and they don't have any idea of what they are talking about. They hear the same old stories about Gibson that thrive in The AGF environment. You repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth. Ignorance is never in short supply for those who fail to use commonsense.

Well said.

Let me expand on that you said, too, if I may. If those same people had the commonsense to realize that a Gibson is built purposefully to sound different and distinctive from other brands' models, and would just have the maturity to accept that the Gibson sound is what it is but that it's not to their preference (and that preferences are subjective), they could stop looking for a "good one," i.e., a guitar that is voiced to their preference. One characteristic of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Also, the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum participants are respectful of whatever brands and models other participants appreciate, and many of their members are wickedly knowledgeable.

Red 333

Well said.

Let me expand on that you said, too, if I may. If those same people had the commonsense to realize that a Gibson is built purposefully to sound different and distinctive from other brands' models, and would just have the maturity to accept that the Gibson sound is what it is but that it's not to their preference (and that preferences are subjective), they could stop looking for a "good one," i.e., a guitar that is voiced to their preference. One characteristic of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I agree, and that helps to explain why the AJ tends to get good remarks by players who like or appreciate Martins.

I read one post recently by a guy who said in 30 years of trying lots and lots of Gibsons, he's never/rarely found one that is any good. So, all the people who have bought Gibsons are, in other words, tone-deaf idiots. I prefer it when people say it's just not their thing, but even with that, i think it's rather dismissive. I have tried lots of Martins and Taylors (and have owned some but not right now) that I really liked and wouldn't hesitate to own one or any other brand if it made sense at the time of purchase.

I'll also say that as much as it's fun to look at some of those super expensive guitars, to me they are more like a piece of art than anything else, including some of the Gibsons.

I like the growl of my Gibsons and Nationals for fingerpicking blues and other tunes and so far, have found the others I have played to be.......

Ha Ha! :

Squeaky......

And I can never find any threads I want to read on the AGF....

And what about PRS Angelus Customs - where do they fit in the picture? Taylorish? 6,393 English Pounds!

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/prs-angelus-custom-281182

BluesKing777.

I like the growl of my Gibsons and Nationals for fingerpicking blues and other tunes and so far, have found the others I have played to be.......

Ha Ha! :

Squeaky......

And I can never find any threads I want to read on the AGF....

And what about PRS Angelus Customs - where do they fit in the picture? Taylorish? 6,393 English Pounds!

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/prs-angelus-custom-281182

BluesKing777.

What would you want with a PRS acoustic???

[thumbup]

So it's God then, not content with starting wars he's now moved into arming his fearful minions with overly bright cookie cutter musical instruments. For all the 'love' we show him as a species he doesn't seem to like us very much, does he? No wonder everyone's confused, I mean what do you do when an invisible friend has fallen out with you?

Archived