Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter studio string / tin sound

deanc

Guys,

First time to post,need a little assistance. Just bought a new songwriter studio today. GC put a set of elixr strings on it. My wife who unfortunately has perfect pitch says the guitar sounds way to tinny. The songwriter does sound very bright. After playing some tonight i tend to agree . What strings would bring down the tinny sound. Any ideas / suggestions is appreciated

Thanks

Dean

New strings do that to a lot of guitars - give the Elixers a day or two to settle in, they'll mellow. Another small tip - use Phosphur Bronze instead of 80/20s. I also find that medium gauge strings on most of my guitars take away some edge in the sound, but you canb still coax the edgy sound out of them with a bit of aggressive playing.

New strings do that to a lot of guitars - give the Elixers a day or two to settle in, they'll mellow. Another small tip - use Phosphur Bronze instead of 80/20s. I also find that medium gauge strings on most of my guitars take away some edge in the sound, but you canb still coax the edgy sound out of them with a bit of aggressive playing.

Thank you for the insight. I'll give them a few days

I'm with Dan....Elixirs seem to need a few days to shake that "jangly" sound...patience, Grasshopper. If they are not to you liking, try some D'Addario fPhosphor Bronze strings....12 gauge...if it is still jangly try 13's....If still jangly, try some round core Newtone strings......also, get checked for tinnitus.......In my experience, Rosewood can be a little more tinny sounding in the trebles...good luck!!

I'm with Dan....Elixirs seem to need a few days to shake that "jangly" sound...patience, Grasshopper. If they are not to you liking, try some D'Addario fPhosphor Bronze strings....12 gauge...if it is still jangly try 13's....If still jangly, try some round core Newtone strings......also, get checked for tinnitus.......In my experience, Rosewood can be a little more tinny sounding in the trebles...good luck!!

Ok . Thanks for the advice. You're right, patience is the key. I really appreciate the response

Tell us how it works out!

Will do. I have a set of D'Addario e j16. I might try and put them on tomorrow and see if there is a difference. I know a few of the guys said to wait a few days on the elixirs that they would calm down some. Either way I'll post my results if I change or wait a few more days

Thanks guys. You all have provided great insight and instruction

That's a happy ending! I'm not a fan of Elixer jangle--I go with John Pearse 80/20s on Rosewood.

Enjoy your new guitar! I'm glad my wife doesn't have perfect pitch. My marriage would have been brief if she did.

That's a happy ending! I'm not a fan of Elixer jangle--I go with John Pearse 80/20s on Rosewood.

Enjoy your new guitar! I'm glad my wife doesn't have perfect pitch. My marriage would have been brief if she did.

I thought about the jp strings. Will give them a try when these are used up. The perfect pitch my wife has is troublesome at times, especially with me

Hi, I've tried many brands since the day I bought the same guitar and according to my taste Martin SP Lifespan 80-20 11-52 or 12-54 Cleartone (expensive but good prices at " Strings and Beyond") sound good with plenty of volume, projection, good bottoms, mids, and highs. A good setup has also helped a lot.

I had the same problem during the first months after buying it but now my SW sounds like a Gib should.

Good luck...

Hi, I've tried many brands since the day I bought the same guitar and according to my taste Martin SP Lifespan 80-20 11-52 or 12-54 Cleartone (expensive but good prices at " Strings and Beyond") sound good with plenty of volume, projection, good bottoms, mids, and highs. A good setup has also helped a lot.

I had the same problem during the first months after buying it but now my SW sounds like a Gib should.

Good luck...

You know I never thought about trying Martin SP. I'll give them a try as well. The 11-52 , will that require another set up

Thank you

Archived