Gibson Brands Forums

I need some microphone suggestions

So the guys I play with on Friday nights are just NOT going to get together in a more serious manner to record. The room we play in has great acoustics so I was thinking that if I could find the right kind of microphone and figure out a way to suspend it from the ceiling, experimenting with its location to get the best possible balance, that I might be able to get some decent recordings. Our bass player has gotten some pretty decent recordings using a little handheld Olympus of some kind that he keeps close to where he plays but I'd like to get the whole ensemble as best I can with the least amount of gear and interruption. If it helps, no one is going to stand up and play and go through a choreography kind of thing so it's up to the mic to capture sound from all around the circle. There will be vocals involved and all of us know how to modulate our own playing to get balance within the circle (usually!). I know practically nothing about the various kinds of mics on the market but I'm guessing that some of you here have real world experience with this kind of thing. I'd put my budget at maybe as high as $400 but really would like to keep it around $250. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions to evaluate, and there are many fine mics out there for the money today.

I would look into the Avantone CK-1. It's often suspended with good results to record pianos, drums, and vocal or string ensembles. It also comes with three capsules, an omni, cardoid, and hyper-cardiod, adding to its versatility and utility. You could get two of them and stay well under your budget (they are $149 each). There are a number of reviews on Sweetwater and other sites that may help inform your decision.

Red 333

More money but you may consider it.

I was looking for a good "one mic in center of room" type of thing to pick up the sound of the room

and bought an AKG 414XLS for the cheapest new that I can find it ($723) but had to get a Preamp for it ($160).

So that is the lowest I can recommend.

Next up and magical an AKG 414EB with Brass Capsule(from the 70's)

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions to evaluate, and there are many fine mics out there for the money today.

I would look into the Avantone CK-1. It's often suspended with good results to record pianos, drums, and vocal or string ensembles. It also comes with three capsules, an omni, cardoid, and hyper-cardiod, adding to its versatility and utility. You could get two of them and stay well under your budget (they are $149 each). There are a number of reviews on Sweetwater and other sites that may help inform your decision.

Red 333

Great suggestion. I've been thinking of buying one or a pair of these. Another option is the CAD M179 from ZenPro Audio for $129. I don't know if anyone else sells it that cheap. Multi pattern and, if I remember right, it has 8 or 9 positions. This mic is referred to as the "poor man's 414" and for good reason.

Larry