Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 12 string amp

Mwwardy

I have a Les Paul 12 string and love it to bits. I play a whole range of music from folk to rock. Can anyone suggest what the best amp would be? It must be usable in small venues and at home for practice. Also ideally I could plug a mic into it, one man bandish. Thanks.

Guest Farnsbarns

IMHO, it always sounds rubbish when you have 2 sources into one amp, I would write off that idea if I were you. It's very hard to recommend an amp based on genre because tone isn't genre specific. There's plenty of rock played clean on fenders, while at the other end of the spectrum there's plenty played on crazy high gain amps. A really versatile amp is the fender supersonic. It has 2 gain stages so it can cover a lot of ground. I tried a 22 watter and have wanted one ever since.

I just picked up a Marshall DSL15c amp. It's foot switchable between Classic Gain (clean, clear tones) and Ultra Gain (distortion). You can switch to 7.5 watt when at home and 15 watts when at a venue, and this thing can crank out the sound! It also has a deep end switch to give the bass end some real kick too. If the amp has a weak side it's the reverb, IMHO. The amp is very portable too.

There's a 40 watt/20 watt version too, but it's definitely bigger and not quiet as easy to move around.

Archived