Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Bridge on 1994 J-200 Special

Jumbofingers

Here's a 1994 J-200 Special, Centennial label, belongs to Ernie Hawkins (and is for sale, by the way). I'm no expert, but I've never seen one where the bridge is behind (or between) the ribbons of MOP inlay.

I see no signs of the bridge being replaced. Ernie got the guitar used, and It was like this when he got it. Either way, it's no goof, because the intonation is fine. I suspect his bridge is on some other Centennial editions.

Just want to know if anyone else has one, or has seen one.

Photo is too large to load. Pix are visible at: http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/erniesguitars/library/J-200?sort=6&page=1

Here's a 1994 J-200 Special, Centennial label, belongs to Ernie Hawkins (and is for sale, by the way). I'm no expert, but I've never seen one where the bridge is behind (or between) the ribbons of MOP inlay.

I see no signs of the bridge being replaced. Ernie got the guitar used, and It was like this when he got it. Either way, it's no goof, because the intonation is fine. I suspect his bridge is on some other Centennial editions.

Just want to know if anyone else has one, or has seen one.

Photo is too large to load. Pix are visible at: http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/erniesguitars/library/J-200?sort=6&page=1

Odd..? The 2 ribbons in front of the saddle I have never seen before ..?!? The headstock looks fake....hard to tell but something does not look 'right'

A 4 Ribbon bridge is a normal sight on some J200's .... This is what I am used to seeing.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/SJ-200-True-Vintage.aspx

The guitar looks legit but I think the bridge is a replacement. The saddle looks awfully close to the inlay. The shaping also doesn't look like factory work to me. I have never seen ribbon inlay in front of the saddle. 4 ribbon ones are common but between the saddle and bridge pins not in front.

Having had a 1994 J-200 for 18 years, here is my opinion.

FIrst, all the other stuff looks legit, although I'm wondering about the J-200 Special on the interior label. What is so special about it other than the weird bridge.

Second, the hot pink case is a little earlier in the 90's. More like 92/93 or earlier. By 94 the case interior is more purple, has a logo on the dust cover, and the dust cover is not terrycloth, but smooth satiny material. So that is a little curious.

Something is a little fishy overall, again, the hot pink case w/94 serial number, the 4 bar bridge unlike anyone I've ever seen before, but the rest being very true to Gibson of the era.

Me, I'm with others that this is an aftermarket repair. Get thee to a two bar bridge.

But it still doesn't explain the hot pink case on a 1994 J-200 or what the "Special" on the label means.

I recently owned a 1994 J-200 "Special", and that was the same as a normal one apart from it having Honduran Rosewood back and sides (No odd shaped bridge, and only two bar). It also had the purple lined case with logo`d shroud, that Robatsu mentioned.

The J-200 "Special" was a really nice guitar, but I`m pretty much wedded to my 94 J-100 Xtra (Mahogany), plus I needed some urgent funds.

Steve.

That`s the one! As I said, it was really nice, and it`s new owner loves it.

Maybe these J-200 "Specials" were all one off`s, with each guitar being a little different in one way or another, from the normal line!

Having checked the photo of that bridge again, I still think it looks wrong, but at the same time, it also looks to me as though Gibson made it, if that makes sense.

Steve.

Archived