Gibson Brands Forums

New toy is home

ksdaddy

Delivered tonight. I washed 10 years of storage dust off it. It sorely needs a paint job but that will have to wait. Tomorrow I pull the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders, clean the points, flush what I can of the fuel system, change the oil, and then spark her up.

Yes, I paid a lot. Don't care. Ya only live once.

2z8sp79.jpg

BTW, ditto triple checking the tranny and perhaps replacing fluid there.

That seems to be a common weakness with vehicles left sitting and driving but a cupla times a year. It may leak a bit at first regardless...

But super corngrats! May you have great fun in a great "touring" sort of car.

m

All kidding aside, the '50s and '60s era "four door hardtops" seemed to me to have a lot of similarity with the old, old "touring cars" in that with windows down, they were marvelous for driving around at quite moderate speeds and taking in the world.

The two-door ht versions were sporty but never had the older comforts about them. I had a '58 Chrysler 4-d that was no racer by any stretch, but it'd haul people and "stuff" and cruise at mileages folks today don't want to believe.

<sigh> It'd get you around as well as anything short of a 4wd. And lots of room for ... a young guy.

That Chevy ain't quite as big, but the concept was the same. Unfortunately the concept is long gone.

m

that's mighty sweet !!

any idea when the 283 was dropped into it?

stock engine should be a 265 or 348.

either way, the 283 was the best small V8 Chevy ever made, can't MAKE one overheat !!

2 spd. Power-Glide(auto) or 3 spd. Saginaw?(manual)

when I was a younger dude, I drove your toys competition...

Mybadd57.jpg

The 283 came out in '57. When this car was purchased in 1984 by the previous owner it had a 327 with 3-2bbl carbs and a 4 speed. She said it would burn rubber in every gear but would also take a half a tank of gas to go to the next town. She sought out an original 1957 283 (block code F) and a cast iron Powerglide transmission, had them rebuilt, and dropped in. This particular '57 could have had either the 265 or the 283; the only "for sure" thing is the "V" prefix on the serial number, indicating a V-8. I don't know if any other tags I might find would clarify more or not. I suspect it may have been a 283 simply because of it being a Bel Air with a few more goodies, bumper guards, etc., seems like it was on the upper end of the spectrum so it likely had the bigger engine. The only remnants of its hot rod days are the shifter boot on the floor, the clutch pedal laying limp, and the old Sun tach bolted onto the dash, both of which will go away soon.

My first car was a '57 Ford. I was 11 years old and swapped a go-kart for it.

302671_268461093194774_156659365_n.jpg

The 283 came out in '57. When this car was purchased in 1984 by the previous owner it had a 327 with 3-2bbl carbs and a 4 speed. She said it would burn rubber in every gear but would also take a half a tank of gas to go to the next town. She sought out an original 1957 283 (block code F) and a cast iron Powerglide transmission, had them rebuilt, and dropped in. This particular '57 could have had either the 265 or the 283; the only "for sure" thing is the "V" prefix on the serial number, indicating a V-8. I don't know if any other tags I might find would clarify more or not. I suspect it may have been a 283 simply because of it being a Bel Air with a few more goodies, bumper guards, etc., seems like it was on the upper end of the spectrum so it likely had the bigger engine. The only remnants of its hot rod days are the shifter boot on the floor, the clutch pedal laying limp, and the old Sun tach bolted onto the dash, both of which will go away soon.

My first car was a '57 Ford. I was 11 years old and swapped a go-kart for it.

302671_268461093194774_156659365_n.jpg

no idea why I thought the 283 was a '62 product.....but i've seen me be wrong plenty of times before. [biggrin]

your "1st car" was a beauty too.....one day i'm going to score one to rebuild to give Mrs.B nightmares......long story, sad ending, miss my '57 !

Wow Scott, a new car AND a set of new choppers in less than a month. You are truly charmed.

My dad's '67 Impala was either a 283 or a 327, depending on which side of the car you were on. The front fender markers, extolling the cubes didn't match. The car didn't appear to have been in an accident, it was probably a Detroit detail shop mix-up.

Archived