Gibson Brands Forums

advise on starting a band

fl00dsm0k3

Don't start a band, that's the best way to avoid mistakes.

Good luck with it. There isn't enough internet to put all these peoples band mistakes up here. You have to jump in without even holding your nose, just start doing it. Ask as you go along and know what you are facing, specifics make it a lot easier to help you out.

Have fun, don't take the bee ess too seriously, and remember that whatever you want in a band isn't going to happen until the next one!

rct

Don't start a band, that's the best way to avoid mistakes.

Good luck with it. There isn't enough internet to put all these peoples band mistakes up here. You have to jump in without even holding your nose, just start doing it. Ask as you go along and know what you are facing, specifics make it a lot easier to help you out.

Have fun, don't take the bee ess too seriously, and remember that whatever you want in a band isn't going to happen until the next one!

rct

Bwahahah when I enrolled into college for film I asked the professor if he had any advice for us before we started and his response was, "go into I.T." ...

Have fun.

Be respectful.

Don't do drugs.

Craiglists.

Local newspaper postings.

Big newspaper postings.

Go to local music stores/Guitar Center to see whats up.

Don't do drugs, i'm serious.

Be versatile and accept whatever comes at your door step, always gotta give em a chance.

Always listen.

Don't be too loud, everyone else has to be heard to. (Except the bass player, hehe...)

Don't let your ego get the best of you.

You don't know everything, be ready to learn.

Make damn sure every last person is an all-star hustler. They don't need to be boisterous, but introverts don't work. Gotta be able to hustle girls, drugs, & gigs (sometimes the 1st 2 will get you gigs). They must be aces at making & working connections.

Most bands never go anywhere because they don't have charisma & don't know how to hustle. It will always be "who ya know."

I always used the Count Basie method. I found people that love to play and want to have fun while they are playing. Not the kind that is going to criticize every little mistake that everybody in the band makes, but the ones who try their best to do things right and at the same time remember that we are playing music, and the important part of that is PLAY.

But be sure they want to take their fun seriously. The kind of person who is late to the gig, misses rehearsals, comes back from break late, doesn't learn his/her part, is having fun, but the music isn't the focus of his/her fun.

If you want to gig, make sure what you are doing is commercial for your area. Some areas might support original tunes, some areas might support jazz, some areas might support metal, some classic rock, some rap, some top40.

If you love what you are doing, if you are good at your instrumental/vocal parts, and if you are having fun while you are doing it, you will have a good experience.

I want to mentione safety.

Yeah, my drummer the registered sex-offender was an awesome drummer and funny and smart and charming and I wouldn't have ever guessed...CL can be useful, but just be safe. Just 'cause you're dudes doesn't mean something bad can't happen with a stranger, like stolen gear or something. Not to make anyone paranoid... :unsure:

Have fun.

Be respectful.

Don't do drugs.

Craiglists.

Local newspaper postings.

Big newspaper postings.

Go to local music stores/Guitar Center to see whats up.

Don't do drugs, i'm serious.

Be versatile and accept whatever comes at your door step, always gotta give em a chance.

Always listen.

Don't be too loud, everyone else has to be heard to. (Except the bass player, hehe...)

Don't let your ego get the best of you.

You don't know everything, be ready to learn.

Aww honey our little boys all grown up.

Archived