Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 2013 studio or standard

33Freddy33

Hi, I was wondering which gibson would be good to buy. I have been to a store and tried out the 2013 les Paul studio and it had a good sound and feel to it and it was for, $1800. I haven't tried out the standard because they were out of them. Is the standard the same as the studio just with binding or is there maybe better pickups or better wood used for it. How much more would the standard cost then then the studio. Any help please?

Hi, I was wondering which gibson to get. I have been to a store and tried out the 2013 les Paul studio and it had a good sound and feel to it and it was for, $1800. I haven't tried out the standard because they were out of them. Is the standard the same as the studio just with binding or is there maybe better pickups or better wood used for it. How much more would the standard cost then then the studio. Any help please?

A studio for $1800?? Is that in USD? That seems to be on the expensive side...

or is there maybe better pickups or better wood used for it.

pickups Gibson seems to use the most is: 57's, 490/498 and BB.

Those are "standards" in the lines. They're not going grab and "lower quality" 57 to put into the studio

It has been said the Epiphone's have lower cost electronics in their guitars, but many of those Epiphone's are now sporting the Gibson pickups, so the lines get blurred even more

Hello Freddy,

You should definitively get a Gibson!

It is vital how they feel in your hands, so try out the Standard as well and why not some of the models in between like Traditional and Signature T, both favoured by lots of people on this forum. And then it is also up to your wallet, since the Standard is way more expensive.

Specs of the Studio:http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

And the Standard:http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Happy hunting!

Hi, I was wondering which gibson to get. I have been to a store and tried out the 2013 les Paul studio and it had a good sound and feel to it and it was for, $1800. I haven't tried out the standard because they were out of them. Is the standard the same as the studio just with binding or is there maybe better pickups or better wood used for it. How much more would the standard cost then then the studio. Any help please?

if you can afford a standard is the studio even a condiseration? the studio is the poor man's standard.

it's in AUS dollars. It is for $2000 but if you find a cheaper one on another website, 9 times out of 10 they can match it. I did find one for, $1300 though but it dident say weather it was used or new. I do like the studio but would it be worth to go for the standard. Also I have only been playing for a year and a bit now and my cousin has a standard. He brought it when he came for holidays and I tried it and it felt great too. They do both feel great but I don't know weather to get the studio first then later get the standard or save up some more and get it straight away.

Also Robert Anderson the traditional was $4000 so would the standard be the better option or not. I have heard that you get what you pay for.

The Standard has more modern features like coil-split and an asymmetrical neck. The normal Traditional has no weight relief which makes it heavier.

What is really important for you: tone, neck feeling, looks, weight, cost?

IMO theres nowt wrong with a studio.. they are great guitars.. Its simple.. Play both see which one you like the feel and sound of and get that one :) (don't let cost be a consideration if you can afford either).

Well all of what you have said Robert Andersson. I do want to save up for a LP, with a nice look and a good sound and I dunno the difference between the neck sizes, but I did want to get a LP with coil tap because I like to play a bit of every genre. Mostly rock but still to have the option. And also a guitar that is affordable not overly expensive. Because it will take be a long time just to save up for the studio. I do like the 2013 standard. Is it much more then the studio? And does it have coil tap???

Well all of what you have said Robert Andersson. I do want to save up for a LP, with a nice look and a good sound and I dunno the difference between the neck sizes, but I did want to get a LP with coil tap because I like to play a bit of every genre. Mostly rock but still to have the option. And also a guitar that is affordable not overly expensive. Because it will take be a long time just to save up for the studio. I do like the 2013 standard. Is it much more then the studio? And does it have coil tap???

Well, if you by coil tap mean a feature that "reduces the output of the pickup, to give a more flat frequency response curve (basically, treble, mid and bass frequencies are more balanced level)", you don't get that on neither a Studio nor a Standard.

On the Standard you get other things according to the Gibson web page: "The independent volume pot for each pickup has push-pull switching to independently split the coils for single-coil tones, with hum-cancelling performance in the middle position thanks to a reverse-wound/reverse-polarity bridge pickup. Pop up the neck pickup’s tone control for reverse-phase tones, or lift the bridge pickup’s tone knob to tap Gibson’s new Pure Bypass setting, which routes that pickup straight through to the output jack, bypassing the volume and tone controls for a hotter, clearer sound, making it a great “instant lead” preset."

I have a Les Paul with the same pickups as the normal Studio, 490R/498T with no splitting options. It doesn't bother me. I play in a band that play from all kinds of styles from folk to heavy rock. For clear sound I often use the 498 which gives you that extra treble. For more jazzy stuff, I use the middle position and turn down both tone controls a bit which creates almost an archtop sound like a 335. The 490 is the best pickup available for blues leads!

Ok thank you for that.😄And did I get that right (coil tap) or is there a different name for it. The studio I tried had a thing when you pull out the 2 volume knobs and it splits the pickups or does something and gives it a cleaner sound to it. It's not a big deal if I get a LP without coil tap just to have the choice. Thank you as well for all the help everyone

post-56930-026958200 1373370120_thumb.jpg

Ok thank you for that.And did I get that right (coil tap) or is there a different name for it. The studio I tried had a thing when you pull out the 2 volume knobs and it splits the pickups or does something and gives it a cleaner sound to it. It's not a big deal if I get a LP without coil tap just to have the choice. Thank you as well for all the help everyone

Coil tapping is for single coil pickups where they have a wire half way (or something like that) down..

Coil splitting is for humbuckers where it cuts one of the two coils

And I found a les Paul standard plus for $2395 AUS are they any good. By the sound of them they do but not to sure if it would be the go. I have seen a picture of one and it looks great and should sound great because its a gibson. Would it be the one to get instead of the standard??

And I found a les Paul standard plus for $2395 AUS are they any good. By the sound of them they do but not to sure if it would be the go. It looks great and should sound great because its a gibson. Would it be the go instead of the standard??

Not sure what you mean by "the go" but a Standard Plus is just a Standard with a nicer top.

Thanks what about the 2012 standard because if it don't get the studio the 2012 standard was my second option. I have looked at reviews and guitar covers with that guitar and it looks and sounds really nice.

The thing about all this is that really no one else can tell you which one to go for.. Its all so subjective and as individual as we are all are.. Every guitar plays and sounds ever so slightly different. Even more that one of the exact same make and model will have their differences.

The best and only real way to know which one is best for you is to go play as many as you can.. Maybe if you really like a specific colour and model ask them if they have more than one and try that too.. AND when you find that right one that sounds and feels just right for you.. You will know instantly :)

(also as I think has been mentioned, if you go and try them in a shop make sure you use a similar amp to your home one).

Good luck and we want to see pics of what you get [thumbup] (the search for "THE ONE" is worth it I assure you).

Thanks and sure thing I will take a photo of the one I get for you. But I will not have it any time soon because I broke my anckle playing football so im out for 2 more weeks. But when I pick one I will send one for you. And thank you very much everybody for the help [smile]

Thanks and sure thing I will take a photo of the one I get for you. But I will not have it any time soon because I broke my anckle playing football so im out for 2 more weeks. But when I pick one I will send one for you. And thank you very much everybody for the help [smile]

This is sad, and I wish you a quick recovery. I broke my right foot on June 29th, 1976 playing soccer with my brother and a cousin, it took four weeks to heal, and I still remember the itching under the cast during the hot summer that year. Relax and enjoy playing guitar to ease the pain.

• 1 month later...

Archived