Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fevitz GC OZ

fretboard cleaning

Hi , ive read that the best way to clean the fretboard of a graphite neck is with WD-40 . I was wondering after this is applied then wiped off , would a lemon oil application be advisable (and also wiped off) prior to putting strings on it ? Ive been using a fret polishing cloth for the gunk build up , then used lemon oil , thoroughly wiped it off after leaving it an hour or so before restringing it . It makes the neck look like a sheet of glass . If anyone has any other tips on cleaning i would be very glad to hear them . thanks !

Hi

just use WD-40 and nothing else (no water or worse: alcohol). Put a little bit on a cloth and wipe your fretboard clean. I do not use any additional product. One doesn't know how different products react with each other, once they are absorbed in the phenolic fretboard.

Tom

I use Fret Doctor on all mine no matter what the wood is. I think some products should not be used on some woods. Others here will confirm this or not.

Bob