Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone had experience with Bigrock Power pins?

Ace23

One thing i dont like about the plate mate,is that it uses foam double stick tape to mount, , that has to deaden the sound because it is isolating the ball end contact with the bridge plate and the foam has to absorb lots of vibration, dont you think?

If I was going the bridge doctor route, I would epoxy the brass to the bridge plate. Make it permanent.

The American P Bass strings go through the body first and then up over the saddles where the Squier goes horizontally, parallel with the body and the ball ends sit against the end of the bridge.

Ok thanks, I see what you mean, like the tele basses.

If I was going the bridge doctor route, I would epoxy the brass to the bridge plate. Make it permanent.

That makes sense, but the power pin solution seems a hell of a lot easier, i ordered a set, ill let you know how it works out

Brass seems a strange choice to me if it's just for a fix. Isn't the reason behind the brass plate the same as my friends reasoning that brass pins make his guitar louder? Wouldn't a rosewood or ebony piece cut to fit be more in fitting with an acoustic guitar part ?

Hog luck with the dantdant DA power pins. Will be good to hear a verdict.

One thing i dont like about the plate mate,is that it uses foam double stick tape to mount, , that has to deaden the sound because it is isolating the ball end contact with the bridge plate and the foam has to absorb lots of vibration, dont you think?

I used the plate mate on my Advanced Jumbo with no noticeable difference in tone. Its not a foam double stick (unless they have changed it) just double stick tape. As I recall, I actually helped mine out with a small shot of spray adhesive. I was happy with the results. I would get a second opinion on the plate replacement as well. Your luthiers' statement does not reflect the results I have had.

Brass seems a strange choice to me if it's just for a fix. Isn't the reason behind the brass plate the same as my friends reasoning that brass pins make his guitar louder? Wouldn't a rosewood or ebony piece cut to fit be more in fitting with an acoustic guitar part ?

Hog luck with the dantdant DA power pins. Will be good to hear a verdict.

Well I should have them in a few days, they are having a drawing too, so maybe ill get them free, either way im stoked to see if they work.

What do you mean 'a drawing too'?

They are giving away a free set , if you register for their monthly drawing, i ordered a set and registered, if i win it, ill just return the ones i bought, or maybe keep both, if i like them,

• 3 months later...

I installed my first set a couple days ago and installation was very easy. I decided to try them to make string changing easier, and I didn't want to do anything that couldn't be undone. They are a lot smaller than they appear in the picture and are not as noticeable as I would have thought. I ordered the black set and the fit and finish is very good. So far I can't tell any difference in sustain but I also don't notice and lack of sustain due to the pins. The only thing that seems different is the ease of changing strings (which is why I bought them). I am happy with them and plan to use them on other acoustics that I own. If anyone else out there has actually installed them on their own guitar and played the instrument could comment, I would like to see if you can tell a difference in sustain. Again, they sound good to me.

• 1 year later...

Well I saw them at Gryphon's in Palo Alto, immediately I saw that they actually LOWER the break angle over the saddle from what it would be if the regular pins and holes were used. The added weight, the Butt ugly look….all of this smacks of snake oil as others have mentioned….

Ahhh thanks man, he doesnt think he can patch it, he says its too far gone, needs to be replaced, maybe hes bsing me, i dont know. Im going to take it to another guy after what you said. I may just buy a set of the power pins just to try them out and see what happens, i can return them if they dont work.

You asked for opinions on the power pins and received 9 'against' and 0 in 'favor of'........mmmmmmmm, oh yeah, I'd say go for it, the power pins are the way to go [thumbup]

You asked for opinions on the power pins and received 9 'against' and 0 in 'favor of'........mmmmmmmm, oh yeah, I'd say go for it, the power pins are the way to go [thumbup]

How many of the 9 against have actually used them, or does that matter?

How many of the 9 against have actually used them, or does that matter?

It wouldn't matter to me....But then again I wouldn't actually have to hit my thumb with a hammer either to know if it would hurt, at least not if that many people told me it would, It's your money friend, I was only making a point.

It wouldn't matter to me....But then again I wouldn't actually have to hit my thumb with a hammer either to know if it would hurt, at least not if that many people told me it would, It's your money friend, I was only making a point.

Well said,however, how does almost 9000 people saying they like it on the power pins facebook page ,stack up against the 9 here, probably a bunch of shills ,just askin?

Well said,however, how does almost 9000 people saying they like it on the power pins facebook page ,stack up against the 9 here, probably a bunch of shills ,just askin?

Sounds like your original question was already answered to your satisfaction over on the Power Pins FB page....Why bother to ask here if you don't want the advice?.... just curious.

.....and by the way, I don't have an opinion for OR against these pins, I was simply making an observation. Keep pickin'

Archived