Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Guitar to make a BIG announcement????

Is it the CEO-7? Another Gibby ripoff?

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/item/3376-ceo-7.html

And the Hummingbird, Dove, Epiphone Frontier,and all of their descendant and variants are copies of what, exactly, LOL? According to Gibson historian Walt Carter, they were birthed when Ted McCarty gave written instructions to "copy Martin d'naught size."

Red 333

Matins.... 'Nice' Guitars but.. well when Looking for a really good acoustic I played a half dozen Matins and Taylors they are nice but I did not want nice I wanted tone and uhh.. I dunno character?

I had £1,500.00 to spend and yep Martin or A Taylor may have worked, but then I tried out the J35 and was hooked.

No offence to M or T players but like it says on my J35's Head Stock... Only a Gibson is good Enough.

Correct me if I am wrong Guys but well Gibbos just work! I don't want a guitar made out of laminate with a picture of wood on it. I want a guitar that sings to me and me alone so then when I play live it's like we are one and a unit together!! Aye very Zen but I just could not find owt' that bettered the J35.

I am not the world's best player but you know what? I just have fun!

Take the budget for a high end Martin, buy a J35 and with the change buy a few beers and kick back and enjoy life

Andy

And the Hummingbird, Dove, Epiphone Frontier,and all of their descendant and variants are copies of what, exactly, LOL? According to Gibson historian Walt Carter, they were birthed when Ted McCarty gave written instructions to "copy Martin d'naught size."

Red 333

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."

I had £1,500.00 to spend and yep Martin or A Taylor may have worked, but then I tried out the J35 and was hooked.

When it comes to bang for the buck, the J-35 may be the best value on the market today.

I realize that the Dove, Hummingbird, etc (all dreads) pay homage to Martin in that they invented the body style but I would never look at those guitars and say "hey, that looks like a Martin". The CEO-6 looks directly like a J-45. They even imitated the Gibson logo. I just think it's a little goofy is all.

When it comes to bang for the buck, the J-35 may be the best value on the market today.

it might be, but honest to god I tried one vs my Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M and it was terrible compared to it. Maybe it's because my Epi has had a few years to get broken in vs a brand new J-35, and to be honest I really wanted to like it because I've never actually owned a Gibson and have been saving up. But I just couldn't justify buying it when I already owned such a great sounding guitar as the AJ-500. The search continues.

I like Martins as well as anyone in here (and I'm currently considering one), but to me it seems that over the years Martin Guitars has gotten kind of haywire with all the different models they make. It used to be that some friend would say "I got me a new D28 (or HD28, D35, HD35,D41, D18, 00028), and I'd think that's a cool guitar. But now, and maybe it's an age thing, all I hear is DCXEBLACK, DCPA4, LX1E, SWOMGT, DX1RAE,Mmv, dr51,GPCPA1, GPCPASK, OMCPA4, and several others. I haven't got a clue or a shred of interest in regards to what all these guitars are. To me, names like D35, HD28 are iconic names. They mean something---I'm bringing my HD28 tomorrow---Great, man. I want to hear that beast. The name of the guitar presents a visual and audio image to people. Like naming a guitar model Hummingbird, J45, J60 Bonecrusher. It means something more than a name. It speaks to what the guitar is. I hope Gibson never goes the route of seemingly endless guitar models identified only by initials and dashes, etc. I know they've done a bit of expanding with the Artist and Pro models and TV, but at least these models are tied to iconic model names and one has an idea of what the guitar might be like, and they don't call them something like SWOMVGPC Artist. ...Anyway, that's an old dude's rant for the day.

Red 333

Yup, Ted McCarty told the story of dropping a Martin dread off in Chief Engineer Larry Aller's department in the late 1950s and telling them to come up with a a Gibson clone. The first version was the Epiphone Frontier followed by the Hummingbird.

But now, and maybe it's an age thing, all I hear is DCXEBLACK, DCPA4, LX1E, SWOMGT, DX1RAE,Mmv, dr51,GPCPA1, GPCPASK, OMCPA4, and several others. I haven't got a clue or a shred of interest in regards to what all these guitars are.

Similarly, I like Martins, but these new models

with the Taylor-wannabe pickguards:

Seriously not appealing!

Yup, Ted McCarty told the story of dropping a Martin dread off in Chief Engineer Larry Aller's department in the late 1950s and telling them to come up with a a Gibson clone. The first version was the Epiphone Frontier followed by the Hummingbird.

Glad you mentioned the Epiphone Frontier - was about to do the same. We know the p-guard jumped from there too.

That said, we must acknowledge that Gibson, in the most brilliant way, managed to come up with something completely unique after the Mart. dread was brought to the desk :

The 1960 short-scaled H-bird.

And then add that another 2 years had to pass before the next classic saw light of day – the slightly more distinguished* Dove.

A guitar which I personally see more as a cross between the Bird and the J-200.

Anyway, , , where would the world be without them – allow me to ask.

Also though quite a few G-people tend to see them 'broads' as lesser genuine Gibsons than the slopes, the Jumbos and those fascinating small-bodies.

*(don't know if the term 'exclusive' can be used in this connection in English)

Could it be as simple as appointing Chris Martin to the NAMM Executive Committee?

http://www.namm.org/news/press-releases/namm-introduces-new-executive-committee-member-and

Nice for Mr. Martin - I would have thought he'd have been part of that leadership for years already.

thanks Dan ,

I'm not a big fan of Martin Guitars but I do admire Chris and how he has continued to carry the Martin name .

JC

They made the anouncement - four new models including a 17" jumbo and an Ed Sheeran (whomever the heck that is) signature model.

I love my Martin guitars a lot - especially the D-18 Authentic and 000-18 Norman Blake! - but I would not call this a "BIG" announcement. [unsure]

Dave