Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 and J-35

ChrisA83

Do you think it's worth owning both? I'm really GASing for a 35 (partly because it's such a bargain) but think it could be so similar to my 45 it would be greedy, and it's probably worth waiting for something else that I want. And by something else I mean a vintage L-1 that I do really want.

I saw that video comparing the two from The Acoustic Letter, and they do sound different (and I even perhaps preferred the 35), but that was a standard J-45 not a TV like mine. It's difficult to think what mine would sound like with him playing it, with those mics, through my speakers if you know what I mean - it's hard to judge how different it is from mine.

I know, I know, "go and play some", but you're so lucky in the USA! Over here in the UK, and especially far away from London like I am, it's difficult to find any to play, and if you do, there's only one in one place.

I guess I'm just rambling. Please tell me they sound identical and not to bother so I can save some money [thumbup]

"Worth owning both?" For best results, consult thelinked flow diagram (too many guitars). I would say that pickers who have multiples of the same/similar have settled on a sound and feel, so that's something to think about. The L1 would be a different thing altogether, very cut and dry, with more limited apps. Always go with the sound not the look.

If you 'really' want the L-1, hold off, don't succumb to GAS for the sake of it, the J-35 is in honeymoon period, sooner or later you'll see some for sale at an even nicer price, if it still tickles the GAS bone at that time, charge ahead, but dont buy just for the buzz of an NGD.

Thanks for the replies. It does make sense to wait for an L-1 - I've been watching one on ebay for a while now and really want to pull the trigger, but I see new J-35s with interest free credit which would help (and of course they're much cheaper).

I enjoy bluesy fingerpicking and have wanted to get into the vintage game, so that would really be the perfect choice. I'm just a bit worried about repairs etc on old guitars!

Rambler that flow diagram helps! I don't have a wife, yippee [biggrin] But my girlfriend already thinks I have too many guitars and she loves (expensive) holidays!!

Rambler that flow diagram helps! I don't have a wife, yippee [biggrin] But my girlfriend already thinks I have too many guitars and she loves (expensive) holidays!!

There is no such thing as "too many guitars" . Dump the girlfriend and buy a L-1 and a J-35 with the $ you'll save on the next holiday.

When I got my J-35, I found that I liked it better than my J-45TV (gasp) so I wound up selling the 45TV. I suppose I could have kept the 45TV but with the other Guitars and Mandolins in the house, it didn't make sense. For the first couple of decades of Guitar playing, I had just one Guitar and the thought never occurred to have more than one. I'm convinced that the variety of Guitar sites has contributed to my G.A.S. [laugh] Caring for many is a luxury but certainly not a need. So, if I didn't have the others, I could see a need for both a 35 and a 45TV.

I guess I'm just rambling. Please tell me they sound identical and not to bother so I can save some money [thumbup]

No, ChrisA83, they DON'T sound identical at all, and the J 35 is the better guitar for me (I've played both)

The new J 35 is an AMAZINGLY good sounding acoustic guitar and a very easy to play on...

So keep on GASing msp_w00t.gif

msp_biggrin.gif

Hi Mate,

I have to agree with PM on this--I'm a J 35 fan, but not to the point of owning it and my J 50. There are too many cases in my house.

Nope, they aren't identical. But they occupy similar niches. I would wait.

And if I post a NGD with a J 35 any time in the next year, feel free to scoff at me.

No, ChrisA83, they DON'T sound identical at all, and the J 35 is the better guitar for me (I've played both)

The new J 35 is an AMAZINGLY good sounding acoustic guitar and a very easy to play on...

So keep on GASing msp_w00t.gif

msp_biggrin.gif

I enjoyed your J-35 videos, and that's part of the reason I want one so much! You're an enabler Mr Gibs [flapper]

Thanks for all your responses guys. I will think on...

Chris, if you had a Yellow Lab you loved, would you get a Black Lab? If you had a Ford 150, would you get a Ford 250?

If you did, would you then want a Chocolate Lab and a 350? Or would start thinking about trying a German Shepard and a Camaro?

I would suggest you give as much thought to a Maple B/S Gibson as you have to the J35. Even a different shape. jumbo or square shoulder! Variety is the spice of life.

Unless, of course, if you're married.

Archived