Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom One-Offs

Zeppeholic

Hello,

I was looking to get a LP in my own custom finish here in a few years and I was wondering if you guys could help/show me how on earth I do this. Here's my basic specs;

Base Model; 1960 LPC or just a solid body with AAA maple top

Neck; 60's Slim taper (rounded, not the asymmetrical)

fingerboard; Ebony

Inlays; pearl block

Pickups; 498, burstbucker pro

plastics; black (black 3-ply pick guard, white outline)

Bridge; B7 bigsby bridge

Tuners; silver metal tulip tuners

Hardware color; silver

Knobs; black top hat knobs with silver metal inlays

Electronics; orange drop capacitors, pure bypass, coil tap and phasing

Binding; multi-ply top, back and headstock, single ply on fingerboard

Colors;

back and sides; black

Neck; black, partially painted purple

Top; traditional teardrop paint style

Edges; black

Inner edge; deep/dark grape purple

Center; Grape purple

I want the purple to be translucent to see the AAA flamed maple top, and these are just the basic specs.

Are these specs a little too much, and how much do you think it'll cost for the custom finish, if they can even do it.

This is my dream guitar, and I really really want to be able to get it. I know exactly what I want, I just don't know if I'm able to purchase it, or if what I want is within reason.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Thank you

I know the acoustic division still does them. Electrics I'm not sure. But AFAIK, you have to order it through a dealer. It also depends on what's happening at the factory - sometimes they can do them and sometimes not.

My experience from 13 years ago, Mrs wanted to get me a 20th anniversary present, so she figured a CS Fender or CS Gibson would work. Long story short is that back then, a strat that I would send Fender the parts that I wanted on it, in a standard color, was over 3 grand. Half down, the other half in...no idea, because they couldn't tell me how long.

The Les Paul, ordinary parts, 57 classics, Trans Black, a standard color at the time, started at just under 5 thousand, in Y2K money. Half down, at least 8 months, and that was a generous guesstimate, more than likely more than a year.

The ordinary guitar player in me won out, I just said no thanks, that's all well and good but for the money I've given these two companies in my life they should send her one just for asking.

Good luck with it. It can end up being a very frustrating way to lose a few thousand bucks Chief.

rct

Well, the money isn't an issue, i'm saving up as we speak.

I understand it depends, should i just call them up and ask them, give them my specs so they can give me an estemate, then i can order through GC or something?

if it goes over $10,000 i'll just buy something else and have them refinish it..

Do they have a sheet like Fender CS does? where you pick a base model, custom options etc?

[blink]

Does it include the words 'Gibson Les Paul Custom'? Because that's what the OP wants...

P

No, but if it absolutely has to say "Gibson Les Paul Custom", then those WORDS and what they represent are exactly what he'll be paying for.

Especially for a one-off.

Nothing wrong with that.

You can custom order the exact color/specs. etc. for cheaper, but if those words are more important than the actual CUSTOM features, then be prepared to pay for it.

Um.. how do i save the picture?

It depends to a large extent on your computer. I believe Mac computers simply have a screengrab function.

The way I do it (I have a PC) is to press Ctrl/Shift?PrtScSysRq at the same time. This last button (on my PC) is immediately to the right of the F12 button on the top row of the keyboard. This saves the image as a screengrab.

The next thing to do is open an imaging type program (Photoshop etc.) and click File-New. A blank page the same dimensions of the screengrab will appear and then you just Paste (normally Ctrl/V).

If using Photoshop you then flatten the image which can then be cropped to lose all the extraneous clutter.

Hope this is some help!

P.

I'm using FireFox and it doesn't allow me to 'save-as' on that site for some reason.

I had tried all the usual methods of saving images and none of them worked with the Montag site.

I'm a photographer by profession so usually know how to get 'saving images' to work and was baffled so I asked another forum member how they managed to save their Montag images.

The faffing around I described earlier was the only way I could get it to work.

I'm sure other PCs might work differently but as Zeppeholic also didn't seem to get it to work I suspect he might be experiencing the same trouble as I had done.

But yes; if right-click works then that would save a lot of time and nonsense!

P.

If this is just fantasy, then fine. Dream on.

If you are serious, commissioning it from Gibson is stupid. Unless you're extremely wealthy and don't care about money.

Just buy a donor LPC as close to your spec as you can find, and take it to a good luthier. They will customise it to your spec for half the cost, or less.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's because it's not an image, it's a flash application. By pressing prtScrn you dump the contents of the graphics card memory onto the clip board. Hence you can paste it into a graphics program ( or an email or word doc etc). There is no need to press any key other than prtScrn (possibly FN on a laptop as prtScrn is often a shared button on a laptop). However, if you shrink your browser window down so the guitar only just fits, you can use alt and prtScrn to dump only the contents of the current window on to the clipboard. Now when you paste you won't get all the extraneous stuff which needs cropping.

If this is just fantasy, then fine. Dream on.

If you are serious, commissioning it from Gibson is stupid. Unless you're extremely wealthy and don't care about money.

Just buy a donor LPC as close to your spec as you can find, and take it to a good luthier. They will customise it to your spec for half the cost, or less.

I'm not rich, but it's been my dream and i've been saving up. i suspect it'll be around $7k to $10k

I'm not rich, but it's been my dream and i've been saving up. i suspect it'll be around $7k to $10k

In which case I really do hope you manage to get this dream worked into a reality,

My Very Best Wishes!

P.

Archived