Gibson Brands Forums

Awaiting the Little Brown Truck

duluthdan

A few weeks ago I attended the Gibson Homecoming events in Bozeman Montana and had an absolute blast. One of the evenings, following “Open-Mic” there was probably 25 people sitting in a song-circle, lots of guitars, a mandolin, an occasional banjo, and me with a bag of harmonicas – guitar cased and leaning on a wall. Even though I was not familiar with a lot of the Old-Time songs that were being played, its pretty easy to blend in a passable background harp, as long as you have the right key, and don’t play too loudly. A song came around that I just could not match, and so I just idled. Then one of the circle walked up to me, placed a guitar in my hands and said, “Here, play this”. It was retired Gibson Master Luthier, Ren Ferguson. How could one say anything but “Yes sir”? The guitar he had handed me was a late model SJ-200 (Maple) and though I’ve never taken a shine to Jumbos, let me tell you, playing that guitar was like magical. At the end of the evening I graciously returned the guitar to Ren, and inquired as to whether or not he’d consider selling it? He just gave me a chuckle – “Do you have any idea how long it took me to find that one?” I shot him an offer.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. Ren was traveling to Aspen to attend a wedding. I had given him my business card and told him if he was ever nearby to call me, and I’d buy him a cup of coffee. He called. My wife and I met he and his wife, daughter and grandson for breakfast. Our guitar geek discussion soon drove the others away to go visit a museum, and we had a delightful 2 hour chat about life, guitars, and philosophy – and never really dwelt on Gibson in particular. I asked him to tell me about that Jumbo, and he said, “Well, its not the best looking guitar that ever came off the line, but to me it was one of the best Jumbos that came off the line”. Hand selected, owned and played by THE guy. I reminded him of my offer – and he said “Ok, I’ll sell it to you for that”.

He’s a busy guy, spoke to him Saturday and he didn’t get a chance to ship last week – will pony express on Monday. Which is also the same day I hope to have an extraction to solve this infection in my jaw.

… and so I’m waiting for the proverbial little brown truck.

Pics upon arrival.

A song came around that I just could not match, and so I just idled. Then one of the circle walked up to me, placed a guitar in my hands and said, “Here, play this”. It was retired Gibson Master Luthier, Ren Ferguson. How could one say anything but “Yes sir”? The guitar he had handed me was a late model SJ-200 (Maple) and though I’ve never taken a shine to Jumbos, let me tell you, playing that guitar was like magical. At the end of the evening I graciously returned the guitar to Ren, and inquired as to whether or not he’d consider selling it? He just gave me a chuckle – “Do you have any idea how long it took me to find that one?” I shot him an offer.

Pics upon arrival.

Now THAT's a story worth telling, and re-telling.

A few weeks ago I attended the Gibson Homecoming events in Bozeman Montana and had an absolute blast. One of the evenings, following “Open-Mic” there was probably 25 people sitting in a song-circle, lots of guitars, a mandolin, an occasional banjo, and me with a bag of harmonicas – guitar cased and leaning on a wall. Even though I was not familiar with a lot of the Old-Time songs that were being played, its pretty easy to blend in a passable background harp, as long as you have the right key, and don’t play too loudly. A song came around that I just could not match, and so I just idled. Then one of the circle walked up to me, placed a guitar in my hands and said, “Here, play this”. It was retired Gibson Master Luthier, Ren Ferguson. How could one say anything but “Yes sir”? The guitar he had handed me was a late model SJ-200 (Maple) and though I’ve never taken a shine to Jumbos, let me tell you, playing that guitar was like magical. At the end of the evening I graciously returned the guitar to Ren, and inquired as to whether or not he’d consider selling it? He just gave me a chuckle – “Do you have any idea how long it took me to find that one?” I shot him an offer.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. Ren was traveling to Aspen to attend a wedding. I had given him my business card and told him if he was ever nearby to call me, and I’d buy him a cup of coffee. He called. My wife and I met he and his wife, daughter and grandson for breakfast. Our guitar geek discussion soon drove the others away to go visit a museum, and we had a delightful 2 hour chat about life, guitars, and philosophy – and never really dwelt on Gibson in particular. I asked him to tell me about that Jumbo, and he said, “Well, its not the best looking guitar that ever came off the line, but to me it was one of the best Jumbos that came off the line”. Hand selected, owned and played by THE guy. I reminded him of my offer – and he said “Ok, I’ll sell it to you for that”.

He’s a busy guy, spoke to him Saturday and he didn’t get a chance to ship last week – will pony express on Monday. Which is also the same day I hope to have an extraction to solve this infection in my jaw.

… and so I’m waiting for the proverbial little brown truck.

Pics upon arrival.

Dan ,

Hey I had a blast reading your story and as Nick said it's worth retelling many more times !

was it a recent Sj 200 ? or was it a 90's version ?

you are a lucky man ... I'm glad you didn't pass this opportunity and I'm sure that jumbo will become a friend for life .

JC

Duluthdan, that is one good story behind that git. That was a truck worth waiting for!! I suppose someday they'll have to pry that one out of your cold dead hands. By the way, I use to live in Orr, 110 north west of Duluth.

chasAK

Duluthdan, that is one good story behind that git. That was a truck worth waiting for!! I suppose someday they'll have to pry that one out of your cold dead hands. By the way, I use to live in Orr, 110 north west of Duluth.

chasAK

Chas - Orr? Now there's a blast from the past ! I used to go to a summer camp on Lake Vermillion. Haven't lived in Duluth now since 2006 - currently reside outside of Aspen, CO and loving the more temperate semi-arid climate, just a bit more challenging to stay on top of the guitar/humidity battle. I do know a girl from Orr... and an old band mate. Other than the mosquitos, that's a pretty nice spot in Minnesota. [thumbup]

Archived