Gibson Brands Forums

Electricus Guitaro Stringum

J.R.M.30!

Whichever is cheaper. There is no real difference.

That is awesome.

I've been using Ernie Ball #2223, Super Slinky, 9-42, since about 1976 precisely because there is a real difference!

We are never to agree.

rct

Never say never, my friend! [biggrin]

Truth: Soon as I wrote that I pictured myself as this 53 year old guy that's been playing for more than 40 years now just buying whatever is in the store the day I'm there, putting them on one or three of my guitars, and really just not giving af uck.

You are right. I retract my statement that we are never to agree!

rct

Truth: Soon as I wrote that I pictured myself as this 53 year old guy that's been playing for more than 40 years now just buying whatever is in the store the day I'm there, putting them on one or three of my guitars, and really just not giving af uck.

You are right. I retract my statement that we are never to agree!

rct

One thing I've learned here... our ears are all different. I've been buying strings for 35 years (not quite as long as you have, admittedly, cuz you're older than me). I've tried quite a few brands over that time. I have my preferences. But as of late I've used Ernie Ball, GHS, D'Adarrio, and even Electro Harmonix strings on my electrics, and I don't think they are much different at all. The OP asked specifically about two brands, and to me the two that he referenced are very similar in sound and durability, thus my response to buy whichever of those two is cheaper.

EB Cobalt Slinkies. Massive difference.

exactly this. never thought there really was a difference until I tried these.

So the Cobalt thing really makes a difference? I have not tried these.

I've used Super Slinky's in the past but I changed to regular old D'Adarrio nickle/steel 10's for about 2 decade's now, D'Adarrio's seem to be consistent (over all) with quality. A light player with a light touch may not notice any difference from brand's but I've found that if you use a heavy(er) string and just play chord's/riff's with a bit more upmff, it will show. Getting a new guitar (or new to me) may determine what type of string I'll use as different guitars may sound different then the last one I played/used. This is very much the case with an acoustic guitar as different tops will drastically change the sound so when I get a new acoustic I alway's try a few different brand's and gauge's to figure out what sound's best for that particular acoustic. As it age's I may do the same thing again to see if it may benefit to try a new type as an acoustic guitar will change sound from new to used.

One thing I've learned here... our ears are all different. I've been buying strings for 35 years (not quite as long as you have, admittedly, cuz you're older than me). I've tried quite a few brands over that time. I have my preferences. But as of late I've used Ernie Ball, GHS, D'Adarrio, and even Electro Harmonix strings on my electrics, and I don't think they are much different at all. The OP asked specifically about two brands, and to me the two that he referenced are very similar in sound and durability, thus my response to buy whichever of those two is cheaper.

Yeah, I have tried them all too. Christmas as a kid would usually be a couple cartons of smokes and a dozen or so sets of strings, all different kinds. Mrs would get me strings when we were young and I'd use them no matter what they were, but almost all of the time they have Supers on them and there's always a half a dozen sets in the house.

To be honest, I don't hear any difference at all, not even sitting at home. For sure, there is no difference whatsoever once drummer boy starts hitting them too hard, which is about 12 seconds into the first set.

rct

it all depends on the kind of tone you want. try a bunch of different kinds of strings and brands before you decide. i prefer a dark, mellower tone. bright-sounding strings bother me, so i use d'addario medium gauge chromes. love the feel and tone of flatwound strings....

I won't swear you'll love them but I'll be shocked if you don't hear a difference.

Now I am curious. This forum is awesome. The serendipity...very cool.

Edit: I have D'darios and I miss my EBs. I ono, maybe its a feel thing. Pip likes Ddarios if memory serves.

Now I am curious. This forum is awesome. The serendipity...very cool.

Edit: I have D'darios and I miss my EBs. I ono, maybe its a feel thing. Pip likes Ddarios if memory serves.

Just for the record for the longest time I just bought what ever was cheap. I mean, big string sounded bigger and small strings sounded smaller and that was about it for me. I bought the cheapest 12's I could get. Then a friend let my borrow his Parker Fly for about 6 months. He only played 9's. At first I didn't like them but over time I realized that I was playing better on the much smaller strings. So I swapped my SG over to 9's and fell in love with that guitar all over again.

When the Cobalt strings came out I decided to try them out. I was instantly floored by the changes in sound. I mean.. I scoff at most cork sniffer "tone" claims but these things really do sound a lot difference. Must brighter and clearer over all. Not tinny or piercing but just clearer. And they last much longer than the Super Slinkies I had been playing.

images_list_22711_22712_39529_2.jpg

Well, now I am going to have to try those Cobalts too....

I have played EB Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom as long as I can remember - except on my ES-295, which has EB "Not Even Slinky" strings. They are a handful. I have to ask my pal in the guitar shop to let me have a covered G as a freebie.. can't have a plain G on the ES-295.... wouldn't be right!

Another vote for Ernie Ball Cobalt. I've been using 10's on my LP for over a year now. Probably only changed them twice. Sound great and last long. Takes a little getting used to when you first put them on because of the tone, but they soon mellow out nicely. Or maybe I just get used to the new string sound quicker.

Archived