Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Dan33378

Ok, please exude my ignorance when it comes to bass I'm hoping someone can tell me a few things about my Thunderbird IV bass. What are active pickups and does this bass have them? Is my Thunderbird a "jazz" bass a precision bass? My bass is all stock no mods. So I'm wondering what kind of pots are in this thing? Tried looking all over the web and can't find any info. Would like to upgrade pups with Seymour Duncan SPB-3 quarter pound. Would these work with my bass?

I kindly appreciate some input.

Active pick ups are powered by battery the thunderbirds uses passive pickup and its neither a jazz or precision there made by fender its a thunderbird but in fairness the neck is the same as a jazz and uses a humberbucker like a precision, to see what pots you have just unscrew the cavity cover and the seymour duncan pick ups are for a fender type precision bass not a thunderbird

EADES, thanks for the info. Makes sense to me now. You explained that well. So what pickups do I look to for an upgrade? Seymour Duncans are in my Strat and my Les Paul, it's the only brand I've ever played with.

Thanks again

EADES, thanks for the info. Makes sense to me now. You explained that well. So what pickups do I look to for an upgrade? Seymour Duncans are in my Strat and my Les Paul, it's the only brand I've ever played with.

Thanks again

The Thunderbird pretty much stands only the Gibson pickups are pretty are a good upgrade the Seymour duncan passive phase 2 soap me be OK but check what size pick ups are in ur bass so you can get a direct replacement also emg make a direct replacement so no need to cut into the wood

The Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV has active pickups, turn your bass over and if you see a battery compartment the you have the ProIV version.

A thunderbird pro classic iv has gibson pickups in them which are passive

A thunderbird pro iv has active epiphone pickups in them

A thunderbird iv has epiphone passive pickups in them

Archived