Gibson Brands Forums

Any Multi-instrumentalists Here?

Izzy

Right - Brian Ray.

Great guy, met him very briefly at some sort of event regarding the lady singer he worked with a long time, up in Philly, long time ago now.

rct

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this. It took you a year to get comfortable...well now I feel less idiotic starting with the scratch sound and saying, "I'm gonna make a violinish sound" and getting NOTHING like a violin after tweeking for what seems like hours but is actually like, one multiplied by frustration rate. I have a Nord Lead 2x which is a VA, not the REAL (analog) deal, so I know I can get pre-sets, I know there is stuff on-board, but it feels like cheating not to know your basics to mold the sound to what you like.

It's like taking your guitar to the luthier to get it tuned each time.

I wonder how long it took these guys to feel like they were decent at their secondary and tertiary instruments. I mean, was it a year, as it was with Cougar, or was it days? Did you "abandon the main instrument for a time" or did you share time and keep up with both?

I wanted to ask you earlier if you knew enough theory to endanger others. That will help you with whatever other instruments you pick up, and should be a starting point if you don't.

Making synth sounds? That's a job. I use a Roland Fantom xA, Korg R3, and a Hammond XK-1. I mess with the canned sounds, send them to the guitar rack and mess them around in some effects stuff if I feel like it. Programming synth sounds, squaring waves and stuff is a whole nother thing, I wouldn't do that myself, I don't know how long you will be at that. There any books for that? Must be.

Remember that nobody ever returned a record because the keys player didn't create the sounds from scratch because who the hell can hear that? Nobody. Play it, make sounds you want, canned or not, record them, use them, most of all, make progress. Progress makes you want to do it, wanting to do it is the thing you need more than anything.

rct

I wanted to ask you earlier if you knew enough theory to endanger others. That will help you with whatever other instruments you pick up, and should be a starting point if you don't.

Making synth sounds? That's a job. I use a Roland Fantom xA, Korg R3, and a Hammond XK-1. I mess with the canned sounds, send them to the guitar rack and mess them around in some effects stuff if I feel like it. Programming synth sounds, squaring waves and stuff is a whole nother thing, I wouldn't do that myself, I don't know how long you will be at that. There any books for that? Must be.

Remember that nobody ever returned a record because the keys player didn't create the sounds from scratch because who the hell can hear that? Nobody. Play it, make sounds you want, canned or not, record them, use them, most of all, make progress. Progress makes you want to do it, wanting to do it is the thing you need more than anything.

rct

Thanks for the encouraging words, rct. There are tutorials online and I will continue to go at it. Before, I used a soft-synth with its presets in various recordings. I know I could get by that way...but something magic happened when I went to the store and started dialing stuff on a moog. It felt like love. I sure didn't feel that way about drums or violin! I will make use of this tool even if its through pre-sets at first. I'm not above that, by any means!

Good point.

I found teaching myself piano that being able to visualize the chords in such a linear repeating arrangement helped me to better grasp theory, the guitar being a stacked repeating arrangement didn't help me get it quite so much. I think because the chord forms can be made so similar on piano that the changes between chords are easily seen, whereas on guitar an open A chord looks nothing like an open E chord, etc.

Great guy, met him very briefly at some sort of event regarding the lady singer he worked with a long time, up in Philly, long time ago now.

Yeah, super guy. I'm embarrassed to say how long ago was the last time I saw him.

Programming synth sounds, squaring waves and stuff is a whole nother thing, I wouldn't do that myself...

The old Prophet V was set up well for that, and you certainly have that capability and more nowadays, but who needs to? I normally play the presets. Especially on the XS, there's an entire bank of different piano types and tones, for starters. I always liked to consider myself more a musician than a technician, but nowadays I guess you kind of have to be a bit of both....

Archived