Gibson Brands Forums

Sloe Gin

Californiaman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1373751704[/url]' post='1398870']

All this "best guitarist ever" business bores me to tears. For me, it's got to be in a band context. A great band, writing great songs, which has a great guitarist.

There is no such thing as the greatest guitarist. God help us if it ever comes to that. It would sort of make the rest of us useless.

Well explain the concept. Seems you have a real problem with children of successful people having any artistic desires...just seems odd to me. So from now on every time you post about someone you like, I going to be tempted to do a genealogical survey into their family to make sure they has taken a oath of poverty.

It is about the genre and what they've(they, the record companies) done to it. If you haven't noticed, or you don't care, that's fine.

rct

Who is "they?" And what have the done to whom?

They is defined right in the sentence. And if you couldn't even read that, why would I want to go any further?

Ferget it dude, if you haven't noticed, or you don't care, or if you've never tried to sell a record, it doesn't matter to you, and that is just fine!

rct

1373853272[/url]' post='1399339']

They is defined right in the sentence. And if you couldn't even read that, why would I want to go any further?

Ferget it dude, if you haven't noticed, or you don't care, or if you've never tried to sell a record, it doesn't matter to you, and that is just fine!

rct

Hmm. Do you believe there is a limited amount of success available at any given time and if someone gets some they are taking it away from someone else?That's the only thing I can draw from your logic so far..not trying to be means here, just trying to get it..

Hmm. Do you believe there is a limited amount of success available at any given time and if someone gets some they are taking it away from someone else?That's the only thing I can draw from your logic so far..not trying to be means here, just trying to get it..

I don't know, not sure about that. It does make sense there would only be so many record contracts, so yeah I guess that would be part of it.

It's the idea that while you and I were selling records out of the trunks or our cars in order to hit some magic number(10k for me), this kid of record company exec or that kid of Hollywood producer or that half brained no talent kid of some famous keyboard player just got themselves a record contract, one that you and I now can't get.

So they have gone and torn thea ss out of it, and the guy we were talking about is, to me, just another one. Read his bio. Where were you and I when he was getting "mentored" by Gatton?

rct

The argument Jax and rct are having reads like this to me:

jax: dude in suit is more skilled than KISS.

rct: KISS is more fun for me

jax: yeah, but white dude is more skilled

rct: maybe, but dude is suit is one of those boring, commercially manipulated wannabes

jax: wannabe? but he's playing guitar well...he's not "wanting to" he is playing well!

rct: yeah, I know he is skilled, but the BLUES is not about skill so much as feeling and there is merit in being from mississippi with a crappy guitar and using that horrible guitar to make music and trying to get that deal, trying to feed yourself with that guitar. THAT's blues. To be cool like that you gots to suffer.

jax: i don't get it.

rct: nvm

I see both sides of it and I give more merit to a poor dude like Jack White who grew up low class and has a love of music that's very real than to that kid who's mom and dad force-fed piano lessons until the kid ended up at the peabody institute and eventually on the cover of supertalented concertist magazine. But we can't blame the kid with the rich parents for being given the opportunity many don't have.

...But we can't blame the kid with the rich parents for being given the opportunity many don't have.

But we can, and we should, blame the record companies for doing the simplest, easiest thing, give Johnson down the hall there, his kid is not bad looking and can play the flutophone, lets pump out some vids and get a hold of the VH1 get him some air time so we can recoup a couple hunnert thou for a summer mall tour.

All while leaning on the latest pile of unheard demos that won't be listened to because they wrote one for today, prolly yours and mine are in that pile.

rct

I don't know, not sure about that. It does make sense there would only be so many record contracts, so yeah I guess that would be part of it.

It's the idea that while you and I were selling records out of the trunks or our cars in order to hit some magic number(10k for me), this kid of record company exec or that kid of Hollywood producer or that half brained no talent kid of some famous keyboard player just got themselves a record contract, one that you and I now can't get.

So they have gone and torn thea ss out of it, and the guy we were talking about is, to me, just another one. Read his bio. Where were you and I when he was getting "mentored" by Gatton?

rct

I don't understand the resentment here and I really don't want to, Bonamassa is a hell of a guitar player, its not fake, he understands the theory part and he understands the emotion that the music creates, he put the time in to master his instrument, it doesn't matter to me if his parents had the power to influence the record execs to give him a contract. Not everyones destiny is to reach stardom. If I had the influence to help my child ( if I had a child ) I would, especially if the child had skills like that. There are a lot of great guitar players out there, if Bonamassa doesntfloat your boat then Im sure there is someone that will.. peace [thumbup]

But rct got mad at me cuz I said KISS ruled

I think rct just wants to debate stuff.

Not at all, I don't even know you, how could I get mad at you?

You started with K155 ruled the 70's, and I replied "Not the 70's I lived through".

And it devolved from there. We each had different experiences, yours was Kiss heavy, mine was...Kiss moderate. We played a lot of them, Cold Gin and RRANPED and Strutter, few others. They sold records for sure, but you were completely obviating the actual figures that exist. I can love The Allmans and Betts all I want, but I can't call them The Biggest Thing Ever, there isn't anything at all to support that, same goes for Kiss, whole buncha bands sold more records than them is all, and the more I said it the more you resisted it seemed. Nothing more.

rct

Well the fact you replied took me by surprise so I'm at a loss now. :)

Well, k so..., you uh...you wanna see my new curly cable? I got my Sound City fixed...

rct

But we can, and we should, blame the record companies for doing the simplest, easiest thing, give Johnson down the hall there, his kid is not bad looking and can play the flutophone, lets pump out some vids and get a hold of the VH1 get him some air time so we can recoup a couple hunnert thou for a summer mall tour.

rct

I'd agree with blaming the record companies if they were in the business of making music but...they are not. They are in the business of making money. Its not like they hide the fact that they're making a star of Miley Cirus, who has infinetly less talent than that joe banamabananas guy, to make cash off her.

Music lovers can sift the stuff out. Tough **** for good musicians, but blame the sheep who like crap music if you're gonna blame someone. Blame the people who buy Miley records over (insert nameless poor dude who can't get a break). The consumer rules the record company, not record executives. Want proof? Nirvana. Were they big record super promoted rich kids? No. WE, the consumers, made them into GODS and changed what was popular.

It's a circle, man.

Im kinda on a Beatle frenzy right now Im playing with my Box Set.

I'm having a New Country moment for about 5 months now, well recorded drums, shimmery guitars, dangerously understated bass players, luscious pianos and keys, honking chik singers that couldn't sing their way out of a nickel bag, dudes that are lucky botox and lifestyle lifts don't wreck yer pipes or they'd be workin at the NashVegas Burger King. You know, the usual.

rct

1373937550[/url]' post='1399740']

The argument Jax and rct are having reads like this to me:

jax: dude in suit is more skilled than KISS.

rct: KISS is more fun for me

jax: yeah, but white dude is more skilled

rct: maybe, but dude is suit is one of those boring, commercially manipulated wannabes

jax: wannabe? but he's playing guitar well...he's not "wanting to" he is playing well!

rct: yeah, I know he is skilled, but the BLUES is not about skill so much as feeling and there is merit in being from mississippi with a crappy guitar and using that horrible guitar to make music and trying to get that deal, trying to feed yourself with that guitar. THAT's blues. To be cool like that you gots to suffer.

jax: i don't get it.

rct: nvm

I see both sides of it and I give more merit to a poor dude like Jack White who grew up low class and has a love of music that's very real than to that kid who's mom and dad force-fed piano lessons until the kid ended up at the peabody institute and eventually on the cover of supertalented concertist magazine. But we can't blame the kid with the rich parents for being given the opportunity many don't have.

Jax is saying this, play what you like. Music is a open house full of ears, if the ears like what they hear, they buy it. Money can't buy talent, and no amount money can replace the time it takes to develops skill., or to become a song writer, you of all people should know that. If you think I like someone because they are white, and in a suit, you don't know me at all. Think back, whose the guy who is always post videos of unknown old blues guys? Listen to the music, close your eyes, do you like what you hear? I don't care how you got here. I don't care if your rich poor white black or sky blue pink.Success is not a pie that can only be cut into 8 pieces.

And to be clear, Kiss were entertainment, much like Alice Cooper, a show, a visual act more then a musical one. I doubt any member of Kiss would claim that they are great pickers, soloist or devout instrumentalist. IMO Joe is more of a instrumentalist.Just my taste, I never got into the whole Rock n Roll circus show stuff.

Jax is saying this, play what you like. Music is a open house full of ears, if the ears like what they hear, they buy it. Money can't buy talent, and no amount money can replace the time it takes to develops skill., or to become a song writer, you of all people should know that. If you think I like someone because they are white, and in a suit, you don't know me at all. Think back, whose the guy who is always post videos of unknown old blues guys? Listen to the music, close your eyes, do you like what you hear? I don't care how you got here. I don't care if your rich poor white black or sky blue pink.Success is not a pie that can only be cut into 8 pieces.

And to be clear, Kiss were entertainment, much like Alice Cooper, a show, a visual act more then a musical one. I doubt any member of Kiss would claim that they are great pickers, soloist or devout instrumentalist. IMO Joe is more of a instrumentalist.Just my taste, I never got into the whole Rock n Roll circus show stuff.

I agree 100%. And I don't think you like someone BECAUSE they're in a suit or are white. I was just saying that to diferentiate the guy from KISS. You've posted a black female blues player before so I know what you're stepping in.

1373945157[/url]' post='1399801']

You wanted the best and you got the best, the hottest band in the land......... KISSSSSSSSS

Nothing against them, they never did anything for me. But I never held their success against them.I look at the difference this way.Johnny Cash was a awesome singer, writer, showman, icon, guitar player, but he was never a guitarist. He said many times he only played a few cords, he hired great guitarist. On stage he had a presence that took over the show. He never played a guitar solo.Willie Nelson is a awesome song writer, showman, icon, and guitarist.That is not an insult to Johnny Cash. It's just the facts.

Kiss was inspired by Alice Cooper and New York Dolls, Wicked Lester had a hard time getting gigs, until they added Ace Frehley and changed their name to Kiss...Rock will always be part circus ( Elton John, Who, EL&P, Kiss etc.), Blues will always be about.....the Blues. Jazz will always be about the instrumental aspect, even the vocals are instrumental...There is nothing evil about being born into a family that has money. There is something evil about wasting talent, no matter what you economical situation...

KISS RULES!

When I was like, 5 I saw their picture and I thought they were deamonic and I wanted very badly to listen to them. Mom said, "its rock music...uhm, I don't think I know anyone with any of their records." Then, years later I heard them...the makeup made them seem way more scary. They're like a fun show thing, like Alice Cooper. I guess I was expecting Marylin Manson music...

Archived