Gibson Brands Forums

Sloe Gin

Californiaman

Well in 1976 they were pretty cutting edge. Keep in mind all we had back then was like Led Zep Aerosmith Black Sabbath Hendrix Etc.

Them and Black Sabbath did for high school halls what kOrN and Slipknot did in later years.

Comparing it to todays music they are just a fun pop rock act with a show though.

I have to say, korn and slipknot still didn't have that impact with their costumes. KISS seemed like...comicbook stuff. Very alien. Korn I could picture in a garage. Kiss I always pictured coming out of some UFO. They really pulled that **** off. I always compared them to Manson and I wondered if some day kids would think of Manson the way I think of Kiss.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sad...poor me... Norah Jones got breaks I didn't because her father was Ravi Shankar, and now she"s a song writer...Booo Hooo. I know she's good, and I like her music, but I can't listen to her now...now that the ugly truth is out...Dam, now I have to do a background check on everyone I like, just to ensure they didn't get an opportunity that everyone else didn't have.Did you know that Slash had a unfair advantage? His father was a artist that did album covers for some of greatest artist of the time, and knew many record executives? Obviously we must black list Slash!!!David Lee Roth is the son of a world renown eye surgeon! Darn it. Now I have to stop listening to him, his dad has money and probably paid for singing lessons...I have a new mission in life, to uncover the ugly back ground of every artist that gets posted on this forum....to ensure that only street musicians who starve for years before getting a break......so far the only guy approved for your listening pleasure is......Santana.

But only until he wears a suit!

Kiss had the most amazing image... I expected them to be really heavy... but they sounded like a New York version of Status Quo... [confused] Really not that special beyond the image, unfortunately.

Still, my worldwide album sales stand at about 50 or so... so what do I know? [biggrin]

I'm just going to throw this out there for those of you who may not understand what it takes to get to where JB is.

I've seen this guy a couple of times now. I understand he is one of the hardest working, constantly touring, professional musicians there is. He's been blessed to be surrounded by some of legends from rock-n-roll and blues as well as other genras of music who recognize his talent. He has a great team of hardworking people behind him. Not the record company either. I mean people like Kevin Shirley and his long-time band mates who have toured continuously with him over the past 10 or so years.

I wonder how many of us given the opportunity would trade places with him in a heart beat?

Just saying. It is what it is. He's blessed. Period.

1374017378[/url]' post='1400124']

I'm just going to throw this out there for those of you who may not understand what it takes to get to where JB is.

I've seen this guy a couple of times now. I understand he is one of the hardest working, constantly touring, professional musicians there is. He's been blessed to be surrounded by some of legends from rock-n-roll and blues as well as other genras of music who recognize his talent. He has a great team of hardworking people behind him. Not the record company either. I mean people like Kevin Shirley and his long-time band mates who have toured continuously with him over the past 10 or so years.

I wonder how many of us given the opportunity would trade places with him in a heart beat?

Just saying. It is what it is. He's blessed. Period.

I'm with you brother. It is obvious he works hard, nobody gets that good without a lot of practice and dedication.

Practice and Dedication will take you places. :)

Well... Practice and dedication and a big break will take you places. :rolleyes: Music stores are full of guys who've the first two but not the last. I've known plenty of guys with the chops who never got the big break. It is what it is.

1374031525[/url]' post='1400194']

Well... Practice and dedication and a big break will take you places. :rolleyes: Music stores are full of guys who've the first two but not the last. I've known plenty of guys with the chops who never got the big break. It is what it is.

That is very true. I once played with a guitarist that was/is as good as any big star, perhaps better then 99% of the recording stars I have ever listen to.But he played because he loved the guitar. That is what you are missing..if you are playing to be famous and rich, don't be surprised if things do not work out for you.If you play because you have a passion for music and love the instrument you play, you can not fail, because your goal is not fame and money but to be the best you can be.Do you think that the great stars keep playing because they want more money? More fame? You would be wrong! They play because that is what they do! Artist like Sir Paul, or the Stones play because they need the audience as much as the audience needs them, it's a rush. Did they get a break at some point?YOU BET! Do you know what luck is? Do you want to know where to find it....here's the secret.Luck is what you find at the intersection of preparation and opportunity ! If you show up at that intersection with out the preparation and with out the passion....you don't deserve success!

Just one more thing...if you love playing on stage there will always be a chance to do that. If you don't no amount of luck is going to make you a star or a well known artist. I played for years with people who just hated the grind of being on the road, I myself got burnt out on it. To be honest, I lost the passion for it. My bad! There are many people who play for their whole life, make a decent living doing so and love it! They are entertainers as much as they are musicians...God Bless them! They play because its what they do, it's what they love! They, I respect! Pardon my rant, but I took lessons from Mance Lipscomb when he was 78 years old, he had never had a hit record, he never sold out a stadium, never toured with the Beatles! The inhumanity! Guess what? He was still playing the blues! And if he were alive today I guarantee you, he would like JB! Because they shared a common love for music! Namely the blues...he would not be pouting about Joe getting a break. He would listen to him, and most like play along.

Very impassioned argument Jaxson.

I agree with everything you said.

I used to tell my wife and kids, that when I turn 50, I'm going to take my guitar gear and hit the road.

Yeah, right.

So hear I am, standing on the corner at the intersection of preparation and opportunity finding myself coming up short because life dictates I do something else.

Archived