Gibson Brands Forums

To buy or not to buy...

BaZie

The terms "Coil Tapping" and "Coil Splitting" are not the same thing. In fact, they are two different types of pickup modifications. For some reason, coil tapping is being used

Good point. Technically you're correct, but the results are essentially the same or at least very similar. Shame on Gibson/Epiphone!

Yes, I get what it is. My point is I don't feel it's a worthwhile feature because it doesn't effectively make the guitar sound like a Strat, Tele, or anything similar. To my ear it just sounds weak. It's not clear why coil splitting has become the feature "du jour" on many guitars fitted with humbuckers, but if anyone thinks it means that they're not going to need a Strat type guitar to get a classic single coil sound they are going to be disappointed IMHO.

Now there's something called "spin-a-split" that sounds like it has real potential. Bluesman335 has wired his guitar(s) for it and maybe he will chime in.

If you go to the Seymour Duncan site the "spin a split" mod is described in pretty good detail, something to be aware of before having any coil split mod done (if not buying an epi pro model with this as stock) also there is a noticeable volume drop on a humbucker when split down to a single coil. Thinking very seriously about a 339 myself,

If you go to the Seymour Duncan site the "spin a split" mod is described in pretty good detail, something to be aware of before having any coil split mod done (if not buying an epi pro model with this as stock) also there is a noticeable volume drop on a humbucker when split down to a single coil. Thinking very seriously about a 339 myself,

You can hear the difference in the video. It could be demonstrated better, but still there's potential. Since Bluesman has modded his guitar for spin-a-split maybe he can make us a good youtube video demo? [smile]

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-the-spin-a-split-mod/

" Thinking very seriously about a 339 myself, "

If at all possible, it's a good idea to try one (or a few) out in person to be sure you like it...In my case I got such a good deal ($299 shipped) that I just bought it sight unseen (or played)...I'm glad I did [biggrin]

Archived