Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a different beast

Motherofpearl

Yes, this model looks pretty poor but I'd recommend everyone google Norman Blake's 1934 Martin D-18H. In my opinion, simply the finest sounding guitar I've ever heard. Listen to Norman's early recordings or check out a few Youtube videos where he uses this guitar. Simply amazing.

Yeah...if you haven't tossed your lunch on the 'colorizing' the prices will put you over the top. How drunk AND rich do you have to be to walk in these retail shops and lay out what seemes like a 100% markup? Elderly's just as bad. Tough way to make a living.

Thanks for mentioning Norman Blake. It roused a very fond memory of a night back in the early 70's at Frivolous Sal's Last Chance Saloon in Poughkeepsie NY. David Bromberg was touring his 'Midnight on the Water' album (one of his best), and he called Don McLean and a very drunk Norman Blake on stage. I was sure he wouldn't make it to the mic, but the moment they broke into the first song his hands worked like a magician's. He was playing mandolin, however, equally amazing were McLean's fretless banjo skills.

Think I have to go sit and play for a while. Screw the lawn!

Thanks for mentioning Norman Blake. It roused a very fond memory of a night back in the early 70's at Frivolous Sal's Last Chance Saloon in Poughkeepsie NY. David Bromberg was touring his 'Midnight on the Water' album (one of his best), and he called Don McLean and a very drunk Norman Blake on stage. I was sure he wouldn't make it to the mic, but the moment they broke into the first song his hands worked like a magician's. He was playing mandolin, however, equally amazing were McLean's fretless banjo skills.

Think I have to go sit and play for a while. Screw the lawn!

Aside from the obvious, I don't know that much about Mclean's talents. Norman Blake and David Bromberg, however, are just about my two favorite contemporary guitar stylists. If I could play 10% as well as either of them, I'd be in heaven.

Aside from the obvious, I don't know that much about Mclean's talents. Norman Blake and David Bromberg, however, are just about my two favorite contemporary guitar stylists. If I could play 10% as well as either of them, I'd be in heaven.

Yep, not really wanting to hear 'Bye Bye Miss American Pie' for the10 jillionth time I was just getting ready to head to the bathroom. I'm no Don Mclean fan nor much of a banjo guy, but if you can find a vid of him playing fretless check it out. I'm glad I 'held it in' for one more song or I'd have missed that great moment, not to mention Blake's stumbly walk to the stage. What a wonderful place to hear music was 'The Chance'.

Now I need a drink and more work on 'I like to Sleep Late in the Morning'. Flatpicked...alas.

Archived