Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a different beast

Motherofpearl

You are right on that one!

Where it makes no sense at all is when you factor in anyone with a working pair of eyes can tell you that no burst is better than a bad burst.... Why did they bother turning those ugly munters out? I guess it's true that the old adage 'dont stare at the mantelpiece when your poking the fire' could always be brought up, but some of them are just so ugly the fire is all they're good for....

Guest J-Doug

I think the major problem here is not the sunburst (which is embarrassingly ugly) or the price (which is ridiculous) but the idea that C.F.Martin should try to build a Gibson knock off. They've tried this before with one of their CEO models and every time they fail miserably at it. Why oh why do this? I know Willie's is to blame for this custom train wreck but... C.F.Martin build Martins for goodness sakes! You're making yourselves look pathetic.

I think this is mislabeled on Willie's site. It looks like this is a Martin CEO6 which are Chris Martin's "experiments" done in limited production. Martin has had a slope for quite some time (I think it started in the 60s with some D-35s and 12 string models). This is clearly an attempt at making a Gibson like guitar. I actually like the burst alright. I haven't had a chance to play one, but I am guessing it sounds like a martin and nothing like a slope gibby.

from Martin's website:

A specially designed guitar signed by Martin's CEO, Chris Martin.

View all items from this brand

The Martin CEO 6 Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar is based on the early "Sloped Shoulder" Dreadnought design originated by Martin in the 1930s. The 14-fret CEO-6 features a solid wood Red Spruce "Adirondack" top (just like original design) joined to a body of premium, bookmatched solid East Indian rosewood.

The slope shoulder body size, or "S" (for "special" as the more elongated body was later referred to), is considered to be one of the best sounding Martins. The CEO 6 also includes Modified Hybrid A-frame top bracing renowned for its exceptional tonal capabilities, with a big, yet highly articulate voice.

Above all, the CEO-6 is a player's guitar with Martin's unique Performing Artist neck profile for faster and easier playing in all positions. It also has wider, more comfortable string spacing on the 1930 style belly bridge. Bone nut and bridge pins, and a Tusq compensated long saddle add resonance and sustain. Played fully acoustic or plugged into its Fishman F1 Aura on-board electronics, the CEO-6 delivers all the classic Martin tone, subtlety – and volume – you want.

This is an especially beautiful guitar, available in a highly polished lacquer natural finish as standard or in a spectacular "tear drop" sunburst finish at no extra charge. The top is elegantly bound in vintage grained ivoroid and has a faux tortoise beveled and polished pickguard. Fingerboard and bridge are select black ebony. Gold Grover tuners with large buttons complete the perfect aesthetic mix.

About Martin Guitar:

Founded over 175 years ago in 1833 by Christian Frederick Martin, C. F. Martin & Co. has been continuously family owned and operated for six generations. The oldest surviving acoustic instrument maker in the world and largest producer of acoustic guitars in the U.S., Martin guitars are hand-made by skilled craftsmen and women, many still using the design and techniques introduced by the company founder in the 1830s. The privately held manufacturer is highly regarded for creating some of the finest instruments and introducing innovations that have become industry standards in the music products industry including the now-standard X-bracing, the 14-fret guitar and the "Dreadnought" size. Current Chairman and CEO Christian Frederick Martin, IV, took the helm of the company in 1986. The inside label of the CEO 6 is signed by Chris.

I think the major problem here is not the sunburst (which is embarrassingly ugly) or the price (which is ridiculous) but the idea that C.F.Martin should try to build a Gibson knock off. They've tried this before with one of their CEO models and every time they fail miserably at it. Why oh why do this? I know Willie's is to blame for this custom train wreck but... C.F.Martin build Martins for goodness sakes! You're making yourselves look pathetic.

sorry J-Doug....just saw your post. Maybe it was a custom order from Willie's and that's why they are calling it a D-18. Hmmm....either way it just doesn't seem right. I like Martin guitars, but I don't think any of them look all that good sporting a burst.

Archived