Gibson Brands Forums

OUT OF PRODUCTION

JuanCarlosVejar

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three weeks ago I called a five star dealer about the Hummingbird TV and Gibson J180 Billie Joe model. They said they were out and so they called Bozeman to see if there was a batch coming out. The short answer was "not likely for the remainder of 2013." They (Gibson) also said they are not taking custom orders as well.

Three weeks ago I called a five star dealer about the Hummingbird TV and Gibson J180 Billie Joe model. They said they were out and so they called Bozeman to see if there was a batch coming out. The short answer was "not likely for the remainder of 2013." They (Gibson) also said they are not taking custom orders as well.

So I guess the HB True Vintage will now really become a vintage specimen ...

So I guess the HB True Vintage will now really become a vintage specimen ...

On the basis of how may they were able to sell, I highly doubt it... I'd go so far as to say the exact same guitar will receive a new series title and get knocked out the door for an extra 100-200 bucks in one way or another.

Lets be honest, they only have a few lines which sell in any quantity, the Bird being one of them, in series terms the TVs have been a huge success, to simply stop that would be quite ridiculous.

I'm sorry but I feel like this is a step in the wrong direction ...

I mean from what I've seen gibson has been able to give a customer what he wants since the early days in Bozeman ... and I think this is just a sign of bad managment . I mean cancellation of Jt's project ... just offering 1 new model at Summer NAMM + 2 at Winter NAMM while Martin has offered around 8 or 10 ? I think something is going on . I'm a big gibson fan but this makes me worry about the future =S

JC

"Glad I bought when I did" - Yeah till the same stuff is released as 'new true vintage' then the GAS hounds will be on here frothing and asking for MV comparison clips....

Patience grasshoppers!

Im still glad I got my HB TV and AL SJ in time ...

You boys are mental... TV was supposed to be 167 pieces worldwide and turned into a 5 year std production cycle... in that time a few others have came & went and the new vintage ones for those who love shiny....

VOS isn't going to go away....

Slightly costlier versions of std lines with vintage-a-like specs sheets are not going to go away

modern repro's are most certainly not going to go away... it's what Gibson do after all.......

re-use of features from days gone-by such as banners etc... it's all still going to be there soon.

How do you clear any backlog? you pretend its not going to be there for long...... jeez, they've stuck a banner on one of the cheapest models they have now with the J-35.

The sun will still come up tomorrow, fear not, wood lusters, your knickers need not be all twisty....

They had recently bought some other company un guitar related..electric shavers possibly... : )

What a way to help pay for it.

High volume is not what a lot of those guys working at Gibson were signing up for when they joined..

They and guitar players will not be happy producing instruments that are good.

here's what Jeremy from Fuller's wrote about the situation :

Hi Juan, Gibson has decided to clean up the big production line. All of these guitars will be available at one tome or another, But as limited editions again. We never know what will come up each quarter, But it would be next quarter maybe the firebird acoustic and a J-45 ebony ltd edition of 100 pieces. The quarter after that might be The Emmy lou and a Red spruce southern Jumbo. They keep it a secret until right at the end. And we have tried to get info before, But its not Montana making the call its Gibsion corporate. I can forward you the ltd editions when they are announced each quarter.

JC

I agree +1

I mean from what I've seen gibson has been able to give a customer what he wants since the early days in Bozeman ... and I think this is just a sign of bad managment . I mean cancellation of Jt's project ... just offering 1 new model at Summer NAMM + 2 at Winter NAMM while Martin has offered around 8 or 10 ? I think something is going on . I'm a big gibson fan but this makes me worry about the future =S

JC

It's like when there's more men then girl's in one area.

I'm not jealous, but neither am I fond of the guy's that get a 'limited resource'.

Not to be sexist, as we are one too.

But that's how i've felt about Gibson big bodies. It seem's like all the focus has been on the big body guitar's. The dreadnought's and the jumbo's.

As a small body guitar fan (forced to be now), i'm extremely excited Gibson cleared it's small body stock.

I could find almost no difference between their special small body guitar's. The only one's I found of interest are the three on the website right now: LG-2, LG-1, and the Keb Mo Bluesmaster.

A 12 fret small jumbo would have been nice however.

I really hope Gibson goes back to the basic's. In my opinion, when a lot of individuals go extravagant like in the 1920's, all the essence tend's to flake off.

I realize this is the run of special Gibson fan's.

This whole run of named instrument's though has chapped my hide.

I mean, in it's extravagance, putting the artist's name in mother of pearl, I couldn't see much of a difference in a pickguard of the person's face or a finish of the artist tattooed against the instrument's back

While I completely agree on keeping the true vintage series, your time to buy them is now. or way down the road.

I am hopeful they go back to the basic's and bring out all the basic model's, like many missing in the small body section.

Amen, Brother! The continued decline with the marketing dept. from Bozeman has put the fear of "downsizing" into a lot of Gibson faithful. Martin is on top of it, Gibson is floundering in the wading pool>somebody throw a lifeline! I also wonder, with the success of the electrics, how much emphasis is put on them and taken away from the acoustic side?

JC

You boys are mental... TV was supposed to be 167 pieces worldwide and turned into a 5 year std production cycle... in that time a few others have came & went and the new vintage ones for those who love shiny....

VOS isn't going to go away....

Slightly costlier versions of std lines with vintage-a-like specs sheets are not going to go away

modern repro's are most certainly not going to go away... it's what Gibson do after all.......

re-use of features from days gone-by such as banners etc... it's all still going to be there soon.

How do you clear any backlog? you pretend its not going to be there for long...... jeez, they've stuck a banner on one of the cheapest models they have now with the J-35.

The sun will still come up tomorrow, fear not, wood lusters, your knickers need not be all twisty....

Amen.

It's not like anything is truly ever out of production at Gibson, anyway. Heck, the 1934 Original Jumbo is in production again after almost 80 years. They can flip the switch and start making whatever they want whenever they want.

Red 333

The best way to peruse this now is to find out what Gibson is up to.

I have a strong feeling Gibson is planning to release some new model's. I can only hope a more diverse set come's along.

Like detective's at a crime scene, somebody has an idea about what Gibson Acoustic's doing more clearly.

At least this is better rather than hypothesizing.

At this point, I think it's better finding out when Gibson Montana is going to announce it's new plan's, rather than what.

The con in this whole thread, which happen's to be bleedingly apparent, yet nothing exactly new, is Gibson's odd or horrible (depending on how you look at it) marketing team.

Legend, new vintage, working man, true vintage, modern classic, historic....... and on and on..... They'll all be back. How many permutations of the guitars, the specs, the finishes do they think (know) they can sell?

And no matter how questionable any marketing team is, the 101 of it is: If they ain't selling it ain't workin'.

They're a manufacturing company of musical instruments, it has to make money, money comes from being able to sell, so sell they must... and there's only a handful of designs they can shift in relevant numbers...

I know there's a lot of fanboy stiff in here but lets not get carried away.

Legend, new vintage, working man, true vintage, modern classic, historic....... and on and on..... They'll all be back. How many permutations of the guitars, the specs, the finishes do they think (know) they can sell?

And no matter how questionable any marketing team is, the 101 of it is: If they ain't selling it ain't workin'.

They're a manufacturing company of musical instruments, it has to make money, money comes from being able to sell, so sell they must... and there's only a handful of designs they can shift in relevant numbers...

I know there's a lot of fanboy stiff in here but lets not get carried away.

One unintended by-product of this could be that some "discontinued" models (even if only discontinued for a short time) could become more desirable as second-hand instruments (Legend models, for example), which could push up prices for those on the used market. Gibson makes nothing on that transaction.

Scarcity of desirable new models = higher used-guitar prices, as other less-desirable versions still in production are not perfect substitutes. Lose-lose proposition for Gibson.

This is a bit of a tricky equation.

Well that s__ks people!!!! I will finally be able to afford a nice TV HBirds in a short while but won't be because of Gibson [thumbdn] . I mean here they don't have a bunch of guitars to choose from so I will have to order but my order won't go through if I understand well... well then I guess it's time for me to get a nice HD28 or 35 from Martin [wink]

Maybe someone (it should be Gibson, but it'll probably be here in the FAQ) should write a beginner's guide to Gibson models. True Vintage, PureVoice, Workingman... easiest way to frustrate a potential customer is to confuse them with too-many options. (Let the custom shop customize for you.) If they streamline the production that could be a good thing IF they make sure that the bottom-of-the-line standard Gibson model is what that model SHOULD be. I don't like the idea of spending serious cash on a guitar only to find out that you need to spend another grand or 2 or 3 or... in order to get the sound that was once the standard sound.

Guitar light your posts are nauseating I have yet to see you post something about gibson with optimism.

Motherofpearl, if you want to see nauseating, just stick to reading your own posts, and stick to the business at hand instead of dishing out insulting judgments like this to all the other members. I have yet to read any of your posts that are not rude and self righteous.

Archived