Gibson Brands Forums

OUT OF PRODUCTION

JuanCarlosVejar

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that s__ks people!!!! I will finally be able to afford a nice TV HBirds in a short while but won't be because of Gibson [thumbdn] . I mean here they don't have a bunch of guitars to choose from so I will have to order but my order won't go through if I understand well... well then I guess it's time for me to get a nice HD28 or 35 from Martin [wink]

Denis, I don't know if you will only buy locally in Montreal, but if you want a Hummingbird that seems closest to the early production Birds, take a look at these two limited edition 1960's Hummingbirds at Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, Colorado: http://tinyurl.com/knewb93 and http://tinyurl.com/ljno6kv

I don't have any affiliation with Wildwood, but I keep staring at these two guitars, they are beautiful!

Denis, I don't know if you will only buy locally in Montreal, but if you want a Hummingbird that seems closest to the early production Birds, take a look at these two limited edition 1960's Hummingbirds at Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, Colorado: http://tinyurl.com/knewb93 and http://tinyurl.com/ljno6kv

I don't have any affiliation with Wildwood, but I keep staring at these two guitars, they are beautiful!

Wow those are some beautiful Gibsons. No one makes guitars like Gibson! I have to say those beautiful colored Gibson hummingbirds definitely give me gas!

That's how the Masterbilt fiasco started....on the Epiphone sight clicking Out of Production reveals a MASSIVE amount of out of productions, the Masterbilts are now down to just two models. Most of them can not be found at retailers either. Not a single new Epiphone Hummingbird Pro is available in the entire country even tho they are supposedly still IN production. Clearly there is poor management going on there if not out right closing. Most retail stores including GC carry very few Gibsons..I asked them why not? ..They told me they were too expensive, too "touchy on quality"..and they had much trouble moving Gibsons. If Gibsons are not moved within a Gibson specified time..they say..then the retailer looses out with lesser profits. Also Gibson demands that most retailers carry the full line of Gibson or nothing. Little wonder they may run the risk of going out of business. and just compare the price of a Martin D-18 solid hog dred with the cost of a Hummingbird..also a sold hog dred. ...very non competitive. IMO Gibson is sliding bad, and it is likely the cause of poor management, not poor quality guitars. Go a head now guys, lynch me up! It's just my opinion.

You can't fit a square leg in a round hole. Gibson is not a small boutique shop catering to the desires of its customers. It's a full out corporate operation run on investment dollars and tight margins. I've seen in the last 10 years the same model of guitar with a price increase of 50-60%. The used market has gone absolutely viral and dare I say, but "the administration" has increased regulation and taxes on businesses further placing hefty added costs to the company. Gibson has certainly not been quiet about what's taken place over the past 5 years.

Bottom line, when you're not making money as a business you generally don't hire more workers to fulfill orders that will take you 2-3 times as long. You minimize your staff and standardize your production so quantity goes up and cost goes down.

Of course it's also entirely possible that I'm flat out wrong too!

Well that s__ks people!!!! I will finally be able to afford a nice TV HBirds in a short while but won't be because of Gibson [thumbdn] . I mean here they don't have a bunch of guitars to choose from so I will have to order but my order won't go through if I understand well... well then I guess it's time for me to get a nice HD28 or 35 from Martin [wink]

Musicians Friend has 5 Hbird VOS TVs in stock. Good Price.

M&A or not Gibson will be looking to replace the revenue that those out of production models provided, so that should mean many new things. I kind of like the idea of a shift to a business model with a core group of standards, (e.g. J-45, HB, etc.), a few very affordable quality instruments (e.g. LG-2AE, J-35) , and then a few of the high end.....then every quarter or so a run of pretty interesting reproductions...maybe I will still have a shot at one of those brown mahogany top LG-2s....

Gibson is a privately held company, so does not have to publish manufacturing or sales figures, but its widely thought to be the largest guitar manufacturer in the US if not the world, and it has business interests in other related products and technologies, too. Collings and Martin would have to team up and then partner with Fender to buy it, IF it were for sale, which it is not. Why all the hysteria on this board? You, onewileyfool, were complaining that there were too many slope shoulder models on another thread. Now that you got what you wished for (at least temporarily), you are acting like the sky is falling, and misusing even more punctuation than usual! It'll be OK!

Red 333

Red I think you have to many slope shoulders hahaha :)

Gibson is a privately held company, so does not have to publish manufacturing or sales figures, but its widely thought to be the largest guitar manufacturer in the US if not the world, and it has business interests in other related products and technologies, too. Collings and Martin would have to team up and then partner with Fender to buy it, IF it were for sale, which it is not. Why all the hysteria on this board? You, onewileyfool, were complaining that there were too many slope shoulder models on another thread. Now that you got what you wished for (at least temporarily), you are acting like the sky is falling, and misusing even more punctuation than usual! It'll be OK!

Red 333

We don't know what Gibson is going to do, and all the business models, profit forecasts, and personality conflicts in the world are not going to give us an answer. I think in today's economy, anything out-of-the-ordinary gives cause for alarm. All I know is that I now have all this money saved-up (close to 4 grand now) and my choices are getting fewer and fewer. I'm not into the TV craze. Nice guitars, but I just don't hear the difference, at least not when compared to what I'm currently playing. Not saying I wouldn't buy one that I connected with if it were around 3 grand or less, but I'm not actively shopping for one. At the moment I'm keeping a close eye on "used" guitars for something I haven't owned yet. I'll likely wait for the Gibson production rumors to start-up again and see what I want to do. If they make a run of J60s that are a bit more fancy, or a sunburst run of J35s, I might go for one of those. Nothing I can do but wait and keep watching the classifieds.

I read an article somewhere, someplace, sometime that Esteban is interested in buying Gibson. Think of it: The Esteban J45. Midnight Black. Mother of Plastic inlay on the fret board of little Esteban hats, each carefully outlined in white plastic. Mystery Wood B/S. Strong and durable 1-inch Triple-A plywood top. Revolutionary "no bracing" bracing. Home Depot gloss finish.[flapper]

We don't know what Gibson is going to do, and all the business models, profit forecasts, and personality conflicts in the world are not going to give us an answer.

THIS ^^

However, a safe assumption is that modern repros of 'classics' from yesteryear will not be going away.... It's what Gibson do!

Well, it looks like it for me - I see the Blues King is 'out of production'.

They must have run out of the awful yellow bags!

I could change my moniker to 1959LG3-777 or 1935L50-777, but it sounds a bit like a part number for a stove...or a car....

I think they obviously needed to trim some models, but the ole Blues King??? It sort of feels like a factory worker getting made redundant a year before retirement age...Oh Well...onward and upwards.....

BluesKing777.

We don't know what Gibson is going to do, and all the business models, profit forecasts, and personality conflicts in the world are not going to give us an answer. I think in today's economy, anything out-of-the-ordinary gives cause for alarm. All I know is that I now have all this money saved-up (close to 4 grand now) and my choices are getting fewer and fewer. I'm not into the TV craze. Nice guitars, but I just don't hear the difference, at least not when compared to what I'm currently playing. Not saying I wouldn't buy one that I connected with if it were around 3 grand or less, but I'm not actively shopping for one. At the moment I'm keeping a close eye on "used" guitars for something I haven't owned yet. I'll likely wait for the Gibson production rumors to start-up again and see what I want to do. If they make a run of J60s that are a bit more fancy, or a sunburst run of J35s, I might go for one of those. Nothing I can do but wait and keep watching the classifieds.

I read an article somewhere, someplace, sometime that Esteban is interested in buying Gibson. Think of it: The Esteban J45. Midnight Black. Mother of Plastic inlay on the fret board of little Esteban hats, each carefully outlined in white plastic. Mystery Wood B/S. Strong and durable 1-inch Triple-A plywood top. Revolutionary "no bracing" bracing. Home Depot gloss finish.[flapper]

This can't be anywhere serious! Next thing we'll see Zagarized Esteban Gibson True Vintage......but like Judy Tanooda said.."it could happen!"

I'm betting the Bluesking comes back with a different name. It just looks to me as if Gibby's management folk are trimming some models off the books, and perhaps have done so in one fell swoop (whilst many of these have actually been Out of Production for a while).

Just remember the many different iterations of the J 45 in the 90s and thereafter--the "Early J 45," the "Historic Collection," etc. One suspects that there was some rebranding going on rather than reworking (the actual guitars remained pretty much the same).

I'm not worried that desirable Gibsons will disappear. Believe me, I did worry about that in the 70s when Norlin made a mess of things.

And there are dealers such as Wildwood and Fullers that will have top notch retro Gibbies.

So I'm thinking that the sky ain't falling yet. But if we see an Estabon model J 45 that has been Zagarized, I'll reconsider my outlook.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed time to let the no more Hummingbird, Southern Jumbo and SJ 200 TV's news sink in.

Can't believe it's for real.

It was as if these models were the creme de la creme, the crown-repertoire on the top-shelf of the inventory.

Very popular (as dream objects anyway) and extremely attractive as instruments and pieces of craftsmanship – even art.

The good square experienced this explosion with the New V beside the True Vintage plus the 3 golden wildlife Anniversary models.

Alright, maybe more bird than the fox could chew and some of them had to go, but without saying anything bad about the Standard, the question stands -

Can we live without the possibility of a tulip tuner headstock, an engraved hand-painted guard on a TV-body and a bone nut.

The answer might be hard to measure. Let's keep an eye on the second-hand market in the time to come.

And then btw. - as some sort of joker - an echo from the at times anarchistic 60's : One version in very red-orange maple !? A short Dove in mystifying disguise.

Also the cool 45 Legend 1942 has vanished. Don't know enough about the small bodies, but probably a few of them too.

Wonder what's goin' on in the electric department.

Then on positive note we see the tough AJ back, , , and that J-60 is 'new' on the list too isn't it – welcome to them both.

Still the TV's de-materialization surprises me the most – they have to return at some point. The ship is missing the highest mast without them.

Eeeehh talkin' bout the ship – is it under heavy weather. . . .

Looks like so far we have the J-45 Red Spruce Sunset Burst....I like it, if it is like a custom shop triburst i have seen in person the red was subtle and nice...but not crazy about gold tuners myself

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Red-Spruce-Sunsetburst/Specs.aspx

Just saw this for the first time today..."the bone crusher is back" is what the Gibson Site says....I personally don't know much about this model historically but understand the wood shape combination etc.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-60.aspx

My thought is that Gibson realizes they have a pretty loyal customer base, and Gibson owners often own several very similar guitars....cycling through these variations opens the market to existing owners. Since 2006 I have gone from owning zero Gibson guitars to owning four, the last purchase being the 2012 Custom LG-2 VSB reissue...I love it so much I have to buy another small bodied Gibson but the LG-2AE doesn't give me anything better than I have already....I predict (aka Gasing for) an LG-2 TV with adi spruce top, fat neck and banner headstock ...or a 12 fret like a keb mo but with TV appointments....I am optimistic about where this may go....but sure glad I got my J-45TV new in 2009...I think it's the best guitar I have ever played.

Is there an official press release you're referring to, Em7? A link?

Those of us in the cheap seats want to know!

Thanks!

Hey cheap-seater - I'm sellin' popcorn and candy in the darkness in this theater.

Know nothing apart from what is seen on the G-site.

?

Wasn't sure what to make of this, had a sniff around and it seems the SJ-200TV is out of production. Hardly any kicking around the EU bigger stores either. Great news for us owning them, especially if you didn't pay the hiked up prices either.... happy days. Cheers Gibson.

Archived