Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!!! ES 339

wardog

Well when I saw this beauty at the local GC, had to bring her home. ES-339. The pups are awesome!!! I was going to replace due to my issues with my 339 ultra, but these pups rock!!!!! Neck comes in at a nice 7.7 ohms and 8.32 for the bridge. I am very happy with her!!! But I did replace the nut with a tusq synthetic bone. My 339 ultra has a playmate.

IMG_0992_zps1a70c4d1.jpg

IMG_0991_zps2e4abeea.jpg

IMG_0990_zpsb9f2fd36.jpg

Well when I saw this beauty at the local GC, had to bring her home.

Good for you! I love my natural 339, naturally.

...do the 339s FEEL like as LP to play? (weight/balance/general feel/size)

Oh' date=' I think they're much lighter. Comparatively speaking, a Dot/335 is a [b']big girl[/b].

You guys are killing me!!! First Crust with his 339, and then this!! Seriously though Wardog - that is one awesome machine bro' - have a very happy new guitar day!! Me, well you'll have to excuse me I have a severe GAS problem - laters... [thumbup]

I WANT THAT !!

do the 339s FEEL like as LP to play? (weight/balance/general feel/size)

that's an attention getter, especially if it makes good tones.

eusa_clap.gif

Have to say no in that the weight is diffrent and the body is alittle bigger than a LP. This thing is special. I am really amazed at the finish and the playability. This makes for my 3rd blue guitar of the same color shade. I have a MIM tele and a DG prs. If i could I woul love to snag the historic 335 gibby at the local GC with cream p-94 in her!!!!![woot]

Probuckers or Alnico Classic Pros? Both are good PU's.

I tried looking at the pups the other day and can't tell. I believe they are the classic pros. I plan to hit the epi site and see.

Congrats and HNGD!

You guys are making me want a blue guitar ;)

Everyone should have a ice blue metallic/ pelham blue guitar in the stable. Just saying!!!![thumbup]

Well,

After 4 months of waiting on delivery, I picked up my ES339 Pro In TV Pelham Blue last Tuesday and after a proper set up and new strings she's a peach. Really acoustically resonant and clear as a bell.

She kinda matches my SG400 in Pelham Blue from 2011.

Anyhow, in answer to a couple of questions. I normally play Les Pauls and whilst the 339 is only an inch wider in the body and way lighter I can feel it's a different type of guitar to a Paul. Having said that, that's what I was looking for....that something else thats just a little bit different to the norm but handles like a Paul. I think I made the right choice. A little bit of a lighter sound with a bit of spank to it.

As for the pickups, they're Epi's "New" Alnico Classic Pro's - do not be fooled, these are nothing like the Alnico Classics Epi use. Experience told me I thought I'd be getting rid of a ton of potting wax (as usual with Alnico Classics) but when I took the cover off the Bridge pickup I found just a thin sliver of wax to stabilise and isolate the pickup from the cover and the pickup itself was absolutely clear of wax (although the windings are probably potted). Even the spacers are wooden (probably maple). My take is that these pickups are Gibson Classic 57's in all but the steel baseplate which is stamped as Epiphone USA and the 4 conductor wiring. Suffice to say the cover went straight back on and the pickups will not be leaving the guitar anytime soon

Gotta say, I think I've just found my #1 live guitar

For £299.00 Epiphone have produced a special little guitar.

Cheers

post-58209-047642100 1374005393_thumb.jpgpost-58209-055805900 1374005406_thumb.jpgpost-58209-033456200 1374005422_thumb.jpg

Good for you! I love my natural 339, naturally.

Oh, I think they're much lighter. Comparatively speaking, a Dot/335 is a big girl.

ut oh.....do you KNOW Mrs.B.?? she calls my Jazzbox (DeArmond X-155) BIG-GIRL, and the name has stuck.

from what everyone here has replied, the 339 may be just what i'm looking for, lighter than a LP & easier to reach around than a 335.

I tried looking at the pups the other day and can't tell. I believe they are the classic pros. I plan to hit the epi site and see.

All you have to do is loosen the strings, and remove the 4 screws in the plastic PU rings that hold the PU's in place. Flip them over and there's a sticker on the baseplate. That'll tell you what you have. Epi's in transition with the PU upgrade program, and some models don't have what they 'supposed' to. Since 339's have had two kinds of upgraded PU's, yours could have either one, regardless of what the website says.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

oh dear, the 339 has succumbed to the curse of being guitar #13 in the collection...... she decided to ping the 14th fret out of its seating just under the high E & B strings - I can get a 0.15mm feeler gauge between the fretboard and the underside of the fret. This has never happened to me before so it's just one of those things. The guitar plays great and rings true on every fret other than fret 13 (-this is getting a bit weird)

Big thanks to the UK retailer Dawsons. They took one look at it and asked me did I want a swap for another 339 or get the fret/setup sorted out. I want the guitar so they gave me a receipt and packed the guitar off to the mothership (Gibson UK) for some free TLC. She should be back in a week.

Luckily this coincides with a house move so I'm not really going to miss playing her as she'd have been stuck in a case for at least a week.

Watch this space,

Congrats on getting such a beautiful addition to your guitarsenal.Pelham Blue is one of the classiest colours ever put on a guitar,I'd like to have a collection of all Epi/Gibson guitars that are available in Pelham Blue-especially Firebirds.With regard to Epi's humbuckers,I have found them to be just great. I have been singing the praises of Epi pups for years and I just laugh now at the people who still insist that Epi humbuckers are bad or substandard because they are basically saying that they don't know squat about pickups or Epis.

Archived