Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage vsa535 vs Dot?

It would be hard to judge the Vintage against the Epi based on those two video's, and I don't have any experience with either. At first sight, Vintage guitars offer more bang for the buck, but I've never shaken hands with an 'out of the box', well set up Vintage guitar. I bought the V100 LP model because I liked the neck shape and the look of it better than the Epi Les Paul Standard. At £190.00 new it seemed a steal, but I had to change the (horrendously rattly and well known problem) Wilkinson Keystone tuners and spend £40.00 on a pro set up, so it ended up nearer the Epi Standard price (Epi's seem to be better set up out of the box to me). That said, it was still £50.00 cheaper and it now plays like a dream. The Wilkinson hardware (except the Keystones) and pickups are really very good and the construction and finish are as good as anything up to two or three times the price. No problems with jack socket, switch or pots either. It's not a match for my '83 Riviera though.

You can pick up the 535 for about £240.00 while the Epi Dot is around £299.00. Factor in another £60.00 for a set up and tuners (if needed) for the Vintage and they're both the same price, if price is a consideration.

Off topic, that "Never Know What's True" song in your sig is a great piece of work. All of it, writing and recording, is interesting and well played, but the vocal sound you get on it is really something special. You can really sing as well. Well done for that.

The DOT does not have a bound neck...That would be the new "DOT Pro" (which also has the Alnico Classic Pro pickups). FWIW I've got a DOT and a 339 ( the 339's neck is bound). There isn't that much of a difference between them...I can't "feel" the binding on the 339.

Archived