Gibson Brands Forums

Geeky Details

duluthdan

Thought some might be interested in a few pieces of minuetia observed on the recent J-200 acquistion. I tried to collage some pictures together to illustrate most. Perhaps of interest will be the fact that the Bridge-Pins appear to be stock plastic, there is no strap pin on the heel, and the saddle is not compensated.

J20031_zps9c399439.jpg

Action at the 12th Fret is 7/64 - perhaps 8. Does not feel that low, strums really nice and clean. This is a very articulate guitar. Of particular not - the infamous bridge plate hole comes nowhere near infringing [biggrin]

j20033_zps493b6e9c.jpg

The break-angle of the strings does not appear to be at all aggressive.

j20032_zps4e5d725c.jpg

All in all, this guitar is pretty special - I am trying to learn Pinball Wizard. How's that for inspiration!

I'd say you got a good deal.....nice low action and lot's of saddle left on that double ribbon bridge. Not so on all J-200's like that. Did you actually check intonation with an electronic tuner? Maybe you don't need a compensated saddle, strings look like they break over the saddle at different places on the top of the saddle....hmmm?? looks real clean, would love to hear it!!! Congrats again.....

Not sure if I get what all the photos are about so will just chalk it up to new guitar infatuation.

But if you got a good one hang on to it. I just played that guitar's identical twin and it ranked among the worst Gibsons I have run across. While J-200s are not the most powerful guitars on the face of the planet this one was just about drowned out by a Bruno parlor guitar. Adding to its woes was one of the muddiest low ends I have heard in many moons. And it wasn't the strings. Made me go home and tell my wife whatever you do, do not sell your 1960 J-200.

It must be said – there is a sensuality to the pics above that can't and shall not be withheld or denied.

I know the feeling and follow the trail the whole way.

Uuuuh for such a row of convex b-pins - not to mention the neck'n'heel curve.

On a slightly different note : Wasn't Ferguson over the mountains from 2012 ?

I might have missed a point - did he originally own this deer. . .

[/b]I might have missed a point - did he originally own this deer. . .

Yes, this was his guitar, right off the line - no modifications as far as I can tell, not even "upgraded" bridge pins. I take that as a very good sign of confidence in the product. Glad you could follow the pictures, I didn't want to overwhelm, just share what I thought might be interesting.

I'd say you got a good deal.....nice low action and lot's of saddle left on that double ribbon bridge. Not so on all J-200's like that. Did you actually check intonation with an electronic tuner? Maybe you don't need a compensated saddle, strings look like they break over the saddle at different places on the top of the saddle....hmmm?? looks real clean, would love to hear it!!! Congrats again.....

Good deal..what was the deal by the way?

Action seems high..!

the string winds are perfect !

JC

Mine are never quite that good, especially on the heavy wound strings. It's hard (for me, at least) to keep tension in two directions while winding unless you have three hands.

Dan,

What a beauty! But you need to add some sound files ASAP, so some of us 'memory-challenged' can re-remember what it sounds like! :P

Considering the provenance, I'd be very cautious about any changes for a year or so. No pickup is fine; no strap button is fine. I like onewilyfool's suggestion to check the intonation as it is: I have a couple of newer Gibson's that are fine for now without intonating the saddle. Perhaps the only thing that looks like it could be helpful right from the start might be to get some different bridge pins. But keep the originals, saved so that you can tell which one went with which string, in case you would like to go back and compare the sound using the two different sets of pins.

Enjoy! And nice meeting you at the Homecoming.. :)

Dave

Dan,

What a beauty! But you need to add some sound files ASAP, so some of us 'memory-challenged' can re-remember what it sounds like! :P

Considering the provenance, I'd be very cautious about any changes for a year or so. No pickup is fine; no strap button is fine. I like onewilyfool's suggestion to check the intonation as it is: I have a couple of newer Gibson's that are fine for now without intonating the saddle. Perhaps the only thing that looks like it could be helpful right from the start might be to get some different bridge pins. But keep the originals, saved so that you can tell which one went with which string, in case you would like to go back and compare the sound using the two different sets of pins.

Enjoy! And nice meeting you at the Homecoming.. :)

Dave

Sound clip might take awhile, I can't figure out how to record onto my Apple - I am hopelessy technologically challenged. You are correct I suppose in taking care not to change anything - the intonation is spot-on, and there honestly is nothing I can fathom wanting to change - except peraps strings someday [biggrin] I was thinking this thing would really smoke with a PAF Humbucker sheet-rock screwed down in front of the bridge, after some shave down of the top braces. [scared] Really though, this guitar is plenty sweet just the way it is, thanks for your kind comments, and yes, we will always "have Bozeman". Smile Fierce !!!

Archived