Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton's 'FOOL' SG

bluezguy

If EC's SG was truly a 1964 SG Standard, then, weren't the pickups Patent# and not P.A.F.? If this is true then, did the Patent# pickups come with Alnico 5 magnets ... the short versions???

That's possible...although a friend of mine who used to own an early 60's SG (that had a wooden decorative insert in the tremolo) stated that his SG had two different pickups and was sent from the factory that way.

I found this on the web this on the web regarding the history of the PAFs and Patent# if you read it it states the Alnico 5 became the 'standard' by '65 but there was a lot of 'variety' before that:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

That's possible...although a friend of mine who used to own an early 60's SG (that had a wooden decorative insert in the tremolo) stated that his SG had two different pickups and was sent from the factory that way.

I found this on the web this on the web regarding the history of the PAFs and Patent# if you read it it states the Alnico 5 became the 'standard' by '65 but there was a lot of 'variety' before that:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

Yeah Dino .. that's a great vintage info site! My curiousity is because it states that they went to the 'shorter' magnet in the early 60's. Well, I opened up a 490R the other day, which, is not a vintage style pup aside from the fact that it uses Alnico 2 mags. It had a full size A2 mag and not the shorter one as I expected. Also, the mag was polished. I replaced the A2 with an A4 and stuck it in the bridge position of my experimental Epi G-400 SG.

It's all so confusing due to Gibson's lack of specific information (understandably) and tons of constantly revolving marketing. I dug further into this 490R to discover the bright orange 42awg wire which I believe to be poly coated, moderate wax potting, overall DCR= 7.95k, coil north= 3.98k, coil south= 3.97k and, 2 wooden shims - not the usual one. All in all - it's a very good sounding pup.

Now, since Gibson, by this time, was 'equal' winding of bobbins, why could this 490T, if a Alnico 5 magnet was installed, not be a real close copy of a Patent# pickup? The DCR is in the range, the coil wire is close to the same, wax potting and magnet ... all very close to what was used from 62-63 to today.

Am I completely off track or what??

Archived