Gibson Brands Forums

Just not sure what to invest in...

RunningDownTheR

I've been everywhere trying to find the right one. I found a Hummingbird that I loved in Plano, TX. Tested a Doves in Flight in Memphis, TN but just wasn't the one. Tried a J-200 in Manhattan, NY and couldn't fall in love. I also found a HD 28-V that almost took the gold in Chicago, IL. I've been everywhere man!

It has got to feel and play well

It has to be a beauty

I've been everywhere trying to find the right one. I found a Hummingbird that I loved in Plano, TX. Tested a Doves in Flight in Memphis, TN but just wasn't the one. Tried a J-200 in Manhattan, NY and couldn't fall in love. I also found a HD 28-V that almost took the gold in Chicago, IL. I've been everywhere man!

It has to be a beauty

Nice cross section there. I would try a short scale slope body to throw in the mix.

See which nut size is more comfortable for you.

The Dove & Martin you played were probably a narrower nut than the others that were medium. May want to find a wide one to try.

Looks like you played mahogany, maple and rosewood. Regardless of how it played, which one sounded the best to your ears?

I have or have played everything you listed. I would take the Hummingbird, but's that's my preference.

Of the ones you list, I've found the J-200 to vary the most from one guitar to the next. I would try a few more before ruling it out. The other models seem more consistent.

If they were all standard models

Hummingbird - Square shoulder, short scale, mahogany b&s, med width nut

Doves in Flight - Square shoulder, long scale, maple b&s, narrow nut

J-200 - Jumbo body, long scale, maple b&s, med width nut

HD 28-V - Dread, long scale, rosewood b&s, narrow nut

Good luck! I'm still looking.

I recently played a Martin HD-28V in a local shop. Great sounding instrument. Did not last on the wall a week though before somebody snagged it.

But until you trade a shotgun for a guitar in a pawn shop in Ferriday, LA you still got some traveling to do.

It has to be a beauty

All the guitars you mention are simply Gold. My personal choice would be the Gibson Hummingbird. ...If you sing the Hummingbird is a real catch the human voice and singer songwriter...if you like volume with a bright sound, the J-200 might be the ticket....The Gibson J-45 is another prized guitar. Looks, sound and feel..weigh them all in before buying and you will make the right choice! Good luck! And let us know what you decide on!

Dave, thanks for the analysis and angle on the important points to consider.

Dchristo, I will definitely have to look into Bailey Bros!

Zombywoof, I got lots of shotguns I don't use anymore - haha!

Guitarlight, my wife doesn't let me sing in public or private but will try a J45 as soon as possible.

merseybeat and bigkahune, the investment is more in that it will left to my sons when I pass.

missouripicker, so true!

I currently have a Les Paul traditional pro, Martin DCPAK5, Fender T-Bucket, Martin L1X. I rarely pick up the LP.

I really like my recent Jackson Browne Model 1, without the pickup. It has a wonderful tone as an acoustic; every string sounds 'alive;' I love the 'fuller' neck profile; and I'm a real fan of the wider fingerboard at the nut.

This one's a 'keeper!' [thumbup]

Dave

I really like my recent Jackson Browne Model 1, without the pickup. It has a wonderful tone as an acoustic; every string sounds 'alive;' I love the 'fuller' neck profile; and I'm a real fan of the wider fingerboard at the nut.

This one's a 'keeper!' [thumbup]

Dave

I would love to see some pictures/video of the JB. I have considered trying it out..

All the guitars you mention are simply Gold. My personal choice would be the Gibson Hummingbird. ...If you sing the Hummingbird is a real catch the human voice and singer songwriter...if you like volume with a bright sound, the J-200 might be the ticket....The Gibson J-45 is another prized guitar. Looks, sound and feel..weigh them all in before buying and you will make the right choice! Good luck! And let us know what you decide on!

I just watch this demo

and fell in love with this sound. Now, to find one to play! :-({|=

Please try the Gibson J-45 True Vintage. I have 6acoustics ranging from a Martin HD-28V, Taylor sinker Grand Concert, a 1948 LG-2 and a 1960 Gibson LG-2, Alvarez-Yairi DY-86 and the Gibson J-45 is my go to guitar. It is a 2007 so it has the Sitka top where those made after 2007 have the adi top. It is a great sounding, comfortable playing guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

What will the guitar be used for? Martins and other large dreds are great for live stuff,

Or just recording voice and guitar.

The thing about the slopes , like the j45 types are the way they record , and sit in a mix,

Ask any recording engineer , nothing better than a good j45 for recording if your stacking tracks ,

This is in general , that said , you said investment ,so I will also pass this along, there are gibsons out there

With laminated bridges and fretboards , I would look for one without this lamination , ymmv.

I have a lot of guitars, need to sell some, lol. If I were going to buy one guitar, knowing what I know now, I would search for a Gibson J45 or J45 TV, or a Martin D28. I haven't tried one of the new D18's but would try one of those. But you just can't wrong with J45 or D28. I have one of each and they are fabulous guitars. If I sold everything I have and kept those two, I'd be good to go. There's a reason those two are iconic guitars. I can't imagine a J45 better than my standard, but I'd try a TV, for sure.

Coming-home from my Wed. afternoon gig at a local coffeehouse this afternoon, I stopped at GC just to check if anything new had come in. I was pleasantly surprised to find a new AJ. Just a standard AJ(yeah, just a "standard"...lol..like we're automatically supposed to consider standards as potentionally lesser guitars), but what a cannon! Went out to my car and brought in my J60 for a comparison. Me and my usual sales dude played them together for about 45 minutes, along with a D28 they had. The D28 was a quiet one and we only played it a few minutes.. We both agreed the J60 has a bit more volume (it's almost 22 years old), but the AJ also roared. Might have had a bit better highs. Both rosewood guitar and similar personalities (kind of like "Here I am and what in-hell you going to do about it?"). Yet, different tone. The J60 is in your face, but the AJ was more of a loud, but mellow/warm sound........Anyway, this has got me thinking more and more about an AJ.

So many guitars to choose from, so little time.

All those you mention are EXCELLENT choices, if you play them and are content grasshopper, that is the Chinese Secret.

You could probably add 10 more to your list and not go wrong.

Its a great time to be able to buy into the acoustic guitar market, sure the electric market too, the internet is your friend and confidante in discernment of what to purchase as well.

Its all good,

Harmonics

• 3 months later...

After playing so many guitars at my 5* dealer, there are two I came away with.

1. J-200 standard of which you already played one and was not so keen on it.

2. Songwriter Deluxe Studio which is one I HIGHLY suggest you try out. The only guitar that matched it's projection that I tried was an Advanced jumbo (songwriter has same bracing)but the songwriter to my ears had a hair more clarity to the notes.

Good luck on your search

oops, old thread.. oh well!

I've been everywhere trying to find the right one

I found a Hummingbird that I loved in Plano TX

Tested a Doves in Flight in Memphis TN

but just wasn't the one

Tried a J-200 in Manhattan NY

and couldn't fall in love

I also found a HD 28-V

that almost took the gold in Chicago IL

I've been everywhere man !

It has to be a beauty

Whau - you've been around searching, , , , and it made you write a poem - Congratulations !

But honestly, , , noone can decide for you in this end-game. You are obviously on track of the finest models and still need to try a few.

It's all between you and your soul now - call it a cliché - but the challenge you are facing and the demanding Q sounds : Who am I. . . . .

I've been everywhere trying to find the right one

I found a Hummingbird that I loved in Plano TX

Tested a Doves in Flight in Memphis TN

but just wasn't the one

Tried a J-200 in Manhattan NY

and couldn't fall in love

I also found a HD 28-V

that almost took the gold in Chicago IL

I've been everywhere man !

It has to be a beauty

Whau - you've been around searching, , , , and it made you write a poem - Congratulations !

But honestly, , , noone can decide for you in this end-game. You are obviously on track of the finest models and still need to try a few.

It's all between you and your soul now - call it a cliché - but the challenge you are facing and the demanding Q sounds : Who am I. . . . .

I may have to put that to a "Blues" melody using my A or D harmonica! Believe it or not, hunt is still on now as I type. I've an agreed upon price on a beauty and now the dealer has to help me find the one with the right attributes! msp_biggrin.gifmsp_flapper.gif

I'm impressed by your thoroughness. I must be an E-Z date because I fall in love with guitars far more often. Right now I'm dreaming out a Martin D-17M that had a great sound and feel. And I"m waiting to get back my 67/68 Hummingbird after its neck reset and bone saddle to hear how she plays.

Archived