Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most highly over-rated and under-rated acoustic guitar brand?????

onewilyfool

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got tix to see him in June I think. It has been postponed twice already. He is so damn good.

Same here. I had tickets for last March, the week that started shutting everything down, Latest reschedule is April but I doubt that happens. I also had tickets for MonsterJam for last March. Latest reschedule for it is September.

Not a brand, but lately I’ve come to realize that solid mahogany top guitars have too often have been under-rated throughout the years, possibly because they are typically less expensive that solid spruce top guitars.  Yet, in recent times I’ve explored solid mahogany (and bought, after much searching, a used 2017 Epiphone Mahogany Natural Linited Edition EL-00) after learning to really appreciate the sound of a solid mahogany top guitar.  It’s sound spectrum is not as wide as a solid spruce top for pure strumming, but that is more than made up by its focus on individual notes and fingerpicking, which fits my style of playing.   

Plus, their sound amp’s quite well with a sound-hole pickup.

One vote for solid mahogany top guitars are under-rated.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 7:09 PM, QuestionMark said:

Not a brand, but lately I’ve come to realize that solid mahogany top guitars have too often have been under-rated throughout the years, possibly because they are typically less expensive that solid spruce top guitars.  Yet, in recent times I’ve explored solid mahogany (and bought, after much searching, a used 2017 Epiphone Mahogany Natural Linited Edition EL-00) after learning to really appreciate the sound of a solid mahogany top guitar.  It’s sound spectrum is not as wide as a solid spruce top for pure strumming, but that is more than made up by its focus on individual notes and fingerpicking, which fits my style of playing.   

Plus, their sound amp’s quite well with a sound-hole pickup.

One vote for solid mahogany top guitars are under-rated.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these all-Hog EL-00s for a while but they never seem to come up on the 'bay here in the UK which is a shame. They look great and sound superb from the YouTube demos I've heard.

Jinder-Thanks for the response.  My finding the all-Hog EL-00 Ltd Edition in natural was quite a challenge.   I think I combed the internet daily for three months early last year, until I found one and wasted no time in buying.    Its certainly stunning looking and plays great.   The only change I made to it was to put a high density tusq saddle in it rather than the low density one that was in it.  I did find there were quite a few of the all Hog-EL-00 Ltd Edition in sunburst out there, but I made up my mind that the one I really wanted was the one in natural, and stuck to finding that one in my search.  As much as I like my Spruce topped  EL Pro (that you and I have discussed in prior threads), the all-Hog EL-00 Ltd Edition in natural is the one I find myself more so reaching for.   

BTW,  I've noticed that both PRS and Guild now have an all-Hog 00 style in natural that looks quite similar to the limited edition one that Epiphone imported a few years back.     I have no idea what the necks are like, but I suspect the PRS and Guild versions could possible be from the same import manufacturer as the Epiphone Ltd Edition natural version one was, due to the similarity of their looks and wood grain.     

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, anthaltar said:

Underrated Guitar: Yairi DY59 and up.  My 1990 DY59 with brazillian back and sides is absolutely stunning.

It plays and sounds like irish butter melting in the evening sun.

Yes...that good

Oh Yairi - remember when they had their momentum in the late 80s early 90s. Got 2 rock live-acoustics which I still have.

One of them like this - but mine had a mirror cut like a spade placed where the s-hole would have been. Sometimes caught a coloured spot and reflected out over the audience. Always wanted to blind-shoot a reviewer. . 

K.Yairi YD-88 1990's Black | o2bguitarn | Reverb

But the straight acoustics like yours - they had strange bridges, , , , and weren't scalloped, were they. 
My producer got one, which I used in the studio. They were good guitars. Have to re-find one on the Tube.