Gibson Brands Forums

Es-335 Satin Finish & Vintage Tulip Tuners

Mario

I finally purchased my first Gibson last October, its a 2007 Es-335 (Satin Finish). I have really enjoyed playing it, and I am very pleased with the sound of the 57 humbuckers and the shape of the 60's neck. However there is one thing that I cant stand and its how fast it goes out of tune. Everytime I take it out of the case, I have to tune and after about 15 minutes of playing I have to retune. Is this normal? I read some people switch the Vintage Tulip Tuners for Grover Tuners, is this worth it?

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Going out of tune is not normal.

I doubt it is the tuners, but perhaps. New tuners are impossible for the string to pull out of tune. It usually takes a bump, such as when you put it in and out of the case.

I see you're also a Strat player, like myself. Cool! You know how a Strat goes out of tune 95% of the time at the nut? Itmay be that you are bending strings and getting some of that in your 335 as well, where the strings are sticking in the nut. When you tune up frequently, that also would make the problem worse. I recommend rubbing some pencil graphite into the nut.

Something else you should look at is whether the saddles on your 335 are pushed all the way back to where the adjustment screw is tight. And just check out the tightness of everything in the bridge.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at the saddles I think the intonation needs to be adjusted, I changed the strings as soon as I bought it and I think replace them with different gauge. I have been thinking of taking it back to the store and trade for a Gloss Finish, there is nothing wrong with the Satin Finish, its just that damn feeling you get when you dont get the guitar you want for saving a few bucks, I guess I wont be happy until I get it...LOL

Yes my Strat is my #1 guitar, I just cant put it down, I bought it 4 years ago and never felt the need to change anything on it and it apperas to have an unnatural hability to stay in tune too.

Thanks again

Archived