Gibson Brands Forums

Flemish Bluegrass?

Lefty Guy

I don't know whether we have any Belgian forumites on here but I stumbled across this interesting Flemish film whilst you-tubing "Wayfaring Stranger" which I'm learning. So far the film has only been released in Europe but hopefully the DVD will be available in the UK later this year. I've bought the CD & its amazing.

Here's the song in question...

& here's the movie trailer...N.B. its a little “X” rated in places!

I'm just next door, Luxembourg.... However it takes 15 mins in the car to cross the Belgian border, roughly the same to cross the French border and about 12 minutes to cross the German one up at Wasserbilich. If you look for it you'll find folk, bluegrass, rockabilly in all of these places. They may not have a massive scene, but they're there.

Of course, I like virtually everything Emmylou has ever done.

Anyone else notice the similarity of the guitar licks to John Fullbright's "Satan and St. Paul"?

Given that nobody took me up on my recent Satan and Saint Paul challenge, I'd say that the similarity is mainly in the bass. The Fullbright fills are apparently quite hard. I think Emmylou is using a flatpick.

Given that nobody took me up on my recent Satan and Saint Paul challenge, I'd say that the similarity is mainly in the bass. The Fullbright fills are apparently quite hard. I think Emmylou is using a flatpick.

As you have no doubt figured out, Fullbright's fills sound simple, but are a bit tricky. I like his combination of thumbpick and bare fingers, which gives a nice bite to the bass.

I'm just starting to work on Satan and St. Paul, after having had some fun with "Me Wanting You" for the last couple of months. The guy has just a beautiful touch on the guitar, not to mention his songwriting.

He's on tour in Europe this fall, both in the UK and the Netherlands, plus I believe Ireland and Scotland. (Yes I know Scotland is nominally part of the UK, but.....)

Archived