Gibson Brands Forums

Original on J45

livemusic

I hope to have my album finished in Nashville by end of September. This is me teaching this song to my mandolin player. I played it one time and then we did this rough recording on my handheld recorder in a side room of the studio, just seeing what it would sound like. Let me know if you like this song (not the recording), I am trying to choose the last songs for the album.

2010 Gibson J45. I had just put some Ernie Ball slinky 12-54's on it, which I have never tried. I like them, played a gig last night and it sounded great.

https://soundcloud.com/bill-pittman/benefit-for-the-brokenhearted

I liked that a lot . constructive criticism , which I assume you want ? Is the'hard getting through today ' lyric. Just that one line is , I think, just too self indulgent. That's all... I thought the rest of the song was honestly great. Benefit for the broken hearted is a great title.

Hats off mister .. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album

As soon as I started listening I remembered your previous posts- your voice is very distinctive...and good.Enjoyed the song and its concept...and "staging a benefit for the broken hearted" is a nice turn of phrase...the song sits well in its genre of sad country...and BBG has a point..it can be a fine balance not to be overly maudlin but still convey the emotion.

I like the sound of it. Primarily, I like this kind of music. I think the mandolin is an excellent instrument to add for accompaniment. Gives a bittersweet tone to the song. Just the guitar and mandolin are superb for this song. The Spartan accompaniment and arrangement make the song more real, and "real" is what the song is. Even stronger than the accompaniment are the lyrics. Nicely written song. Tells us the story of the singer, as well as all those invited to join him. I think this is a super song. Really cool, my friend.........Whatever you do with it in rehearsal, etc., I think you should keep it just a vocal with the guitar and mandolin. This has that kind of raw feel to it that Johnny Cash did with most of his material when he was with Rick Rubins at American Recording. For me, I wouldn't change a thing. Real music. Not manufactured.

This has that kind of raw feel to it that Johnny Cash did with most of his material when he was with Rick Rubins at American Recording. For me, I wouldn't change a thing. Real music. Not manufactured.

Ditto.

Thanks kind people for the feedback, it helps.

I love the guitar/mandolin, as well. I struggle with how much to produce into these songs of mine because I have quite a few that will be on this record that sound killer done pretty lean. Mandolin? Fiddle? Dobro? Another guitar? All of the above, lol? I have some others we are going to do with full band production.

It's a hoot to play with great players (the session cats).

Archived