Gibson Brands Forums

Hello...First post...And its bad

HankCole

Hi,

Sorry to make this my first post but I'm in pain......Great pain. And I'm not going to like the answers.:)

My 1972 Les Paul Model took a bounce this afternoon at practice. Don't want to get into it, but I'm an idiot. It cracked the neck on the bottom about at the nut. It didn't make it all the way though the head. Figuring I can't screw it up any worse, my bass player's dad who is a cabnet maker has some wood glue he swears by. We removed the strings and the neck bar cover and worked the glue into the crack inside and out. We then clamped it where it will remain for the next week; before its tested.

Now. Being that this doesn't work one way or the other; what are my options? Scrapping the instrument isn't one of them. I've had it since new and it matches my 1946 LG.

Can the neck be replaced? Can the Gibson numbers be retained if the neck can be replaced?

I've heard that about some glues. The main thing I'm sure that will determine strength will be how well we got the glue worked into the crack. I hope its as good as the glue we use to glue granite together. It will litterally break at another point other than the joint. Feel like I injured a friend.

Its at the practice house. I've already got it clamped down. Can't see much now 'cause I've got a piece of felt around the neck where its clamped. I did get a good "pooch" of glue to come back out when I clamped it down. Cross your fingers.

GibsonLG.jpg This is the LG that matches it

Hank, if you're really attached to it I would suggest sending it to Gibson and have the factory do it if you can afford it. Check out http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/RepairAndRestoration/

I know when I get my '74 Deluxe refretted I'm going to send it back to them...nothing like having the people that built the thing fix it.

Good LucK! neck breaks aren't usually the end of life for a guitar the key is to leve them the hell alone until you get them repaired. If the crack was clean and had enough surface on the wood you might get away wioth a glue only fix if it a sharp break or came completely free they often need to be pinned in place as well as glued. Like many hav said a neck break usually doesn't hurt the sound to badly just the value.

Welcome to the forum man, sorry to hear about your guitar, but you'll be happy to know some folks here have had their guitar's neck totally broken and still it was repaired and useful. (I think AS90 did some repairs to a SG neck). You'll see in the end everything turns up as it should: great.

If I were you, I would listen to this guy:

He usually knows his stuff and if he says you send your guitar to those guys, he surely has a very good reason.

I appreciate everyone's optimisim. I hate wires...Always have, always will. Wires and big feet are a bad combo. Wires and stupidity are too. To be afflicted with both is a problem looking for a place to happen. I'VE GOT A FREEKIN' WIRELESS !!!!! If I get the axe fixed, the pack will go on my strap....NOT in my wallet pocket. I'm an idiot. I'll update on the results of the glue job.

Thanks again,

Merry Christmas

Sorry to hear of your guitars injuries.Sorry also that I have no answer to help,but i do have a question for others;

It seems to me I have been reading an awful lot of stories like this lately of Gibsons getting dropped or whatever and damage to neck or headstock.

I also go to fender forums and seems I never hear of this with fenders.

Is this just coincidence or does the mahagony used in gibsons damage easier than the maple used in fenders?Is maple that much stronger than mahagony?

Sorry to hear of your guitars injuries.Sorry also that I have no answer to help' date='but i do have a question for others;

It seems to me I have been reading an awful lot of stories like this lately of Gibsons getting dropped or whatever and damage to neck or headstock.

I also go to fender forums and seems I never hear of this with fenders.

Is this just coincidence or does the mahagony used in gibsons damage easier than the maple used in fenders?Is maple that much stronger than mahagony?[/quote']

Maple is super tough. Its used in all sorts of applications that require a very strong wood. Everything from stair rails to wooden tool handles.

Mahogany is a much less dense wood, and is generally reserved for veneers and applications where you want a certain appearance.

In the area of luthiery, the different woods are generally chosen for tone, or appearance, or both, depending on the quality of the piece, and grain pattern.

I prefer mahogany for necks, even if it may be more likely to break if mishandled.

Since this happened I've talked to several repair shops and they concur with everyone here. They also say this is a common occurance with the Les Paul. I don't think it just happens though. I think there has to be some bonehead accident that causes it. Does anyone make neck out of hickory. They make ball bats out of that stuff. Ought to be pretty resiliant.

Hank, sorry to hear your friend was injured. The bad thing is that it was a '72 LP friend. The good thing is that you HAVE a '72 Les Paul! A '72 LP with a repaired neck that still stays in tune will still be AWESOME! O:)

It sounds like you are now moving in the right direction. If the neck causing intonation problems seek the factory, or a good luthier. Also, don't be too hard on yourself. :) This is a common problem. You have kept her safe all these years of some hard playing. You have done well by her soldier! :) Rock on!

BTW, welcome to the forum. I wish it was under better circumstances.

Archived