Gibson Brands Forums

Pulled the trigger on a Hummingbird TV.....

Lefty Guy

well, because technically (although not legally) the flat belongs solely to my wife, although its me that stays there most to save an old man a 4 hour daily commute, AND its south of the river :-)

So, you've got a bird stashed in a flat in London that actually belongs to your wife? What could possibly go wrong here: "I saw you coming out of my flat with a strange bird".

Tears to follow, then a trip to the lawyer, and Lefty Guy has lost his new bird and half of everything he owns.......

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you've got a bird stashed in a flat in London that actually belongs to your wife? What could possibly go wrong here: "I saw you coming out of my flat with a strange bird".

Tears to follow, then a trip to the lawyer, and Lefty Guy has lost his new bird and half of everything he owns.......

Lefty Guy rocks -

Since there are so many TV owners on this post I'd like to axe a question out of ignorance as I just don't know!! [confused] I do want to be educated and understand correctly from those that have played & heard the difference. I'm in the final stage of the hunt with a Standard HB and the learned salesman/player/luthier (former Gibson emp.) explained these differences between the Standard & TV. Again, not arguing a point I just want to know from others experiences. He was recommending the Standard to me unless I just wanted the following:

1) Tuners

2) Flatter finish not buffed to high gloss

3) Original specs on build to 1960 design

4) No pickup under bridge

5) Upgraded Case

I had asked about being built with Hot Hide Glue vs standard glue and he said no.

What do you guys say you find the biggest differences in Guitars as it's about $900 more for the TV. Again, I really want to know to make the most educated decision if the differences are worth extra $$ . I thank you for your help.

Also, PM I have ALWAYS wondered on the shoe selection of women esp. in the last 15-20 yrs. [scared] Army boot styles, high boots (fishing wader look) with bare legs & skirts, toes so long & pointy (w/4" heels) they look 12" long, wearing Uggs with nice skirt (with sheep wool lining in the middle of summer 90 degrees) and maybe worse. If some MAN had picked any of those styles out, told them they HADDA wear these, what atom bomb would have blown up with that? [biggrin] "Oh aren't her shoes just darling (cute, cool etc)." Beam me up Scotty!!

Aster

My experience so far of the differences between Standard & TV Gibsons is only based on my J-45 Historic (essentially a standard) & SJ New Vintage (essentially a gloss TV) & apart from the obvious cosmetic distinctions, I'd add that the TV/NVs are generally a lot lighter in weight which seems to add resonance & volume. Bottom line, despite my J-45 being a lovely guitar, the SJ was even better & I haven't regretted my decision. This experience has led me to go for the TV Hummingbird rather than a standard one. But if budget is a big concern, then the standards are also fine instruments with the advantage of built-in pick up (if you want that).

Also, PM I have ALWAYS wondered on the shoe selection of women esp. in the last 15-20 yrs. [scared] Army boot styles, high boots (fishing wader look) with bare legs & skirts, toes so long & pointy (w/4" heels) they look 12" long, wearing Uggs with nice skirt (with sheep wool lining in the middle of summer 90 degrees) and maybe worse. If some MAN had picked any of those styles out, told them they HADDA wear these, what atom bomb would have blown up with that? [biggrin] "Oh aren't her shoes just darling (cute, cool etc)." Beam me up Scotty!!

Aster

I have a background in shoes, Aster, it's what my people did, London etc so they knew their game... I spent many a year at fashion shows and whatnot in my youth, yes even some lingerie shows too... been covered before to some hilarity. Styles come & go so I wont comment on trends, but when you're off-trend and getting it so so wrong it stands out like a sore thumb. This woman just never gets it right. From the knees down she's a disgrace given the funds and opportunity available to her.

Anyway back to hummingbirds... I think I've slowly come round to thinking I prefer the Natural topped ones to the burst ones. Black guard too... probably the least popular bird config I reckon.

Beyond what Lefty Guy said and what Aster1 had noted the differences between the Hummingbird Standard and TV are color (TV - Cherry, Standard - Honey), frets (TV - smaller older style, Standard - higher style), back braces bottom 2 ( TV - smaller, thinner, Standard - fatter and taller). The TV was about a third lighter, had more sparkle in the trebles, and hand painted pick guard made from original mold. The price difference for me was under a grand between the two. Both are excellent guitars, both sound great, for me it came down to the TV sounded like an aged guitar and I dig the Cherry Burst over the Honey Burst. I hope I got it all right in specs.

Though all differences have been covered in the previous posts, I'd have to add a few lines.

When I first began my serious Bird-search in May 2009, the first 2 was I met was a Standard and a TV from the same shop and period.

Thus I had a splendid oppotunity to A/B, which the shop-keeper allowed me to do several times over the following 6 months or something.

I found the 2 very similar - almost like Jarvis' A/B on the Tube. And even had a slight preference for the Std.

Then after trying a handful vintage Birds (not TVs), I suddenly ran into an offer I couldn't refuse. A '08 TV Bird, which I bought - one of the 167 in fact !

It was good, but quiet and not very bassy. I played it daily to make loosen up, which slowly happened over a year to 18 months.

Then in January this year I found an extraordinary yellow Std. in another part of this country that really impressed me.

After returning home I decided not to let it go. Had it brought over and tryed and tested it for a month before deciding to send it back.

It was simply too glazed - the honey got so thick it was creamy. Besides the headstock was dotless, hehe. . .

Then as a total surprise, another TV (2012) began singing to me with supernatural powers from a shop-wall somewhere else.

I went back and tried it 3 times last winter before finally taking it home in April. Just HAD to own that guitar - no way around it.

Also if it meant the old '08 had to go.

Wrote about the whole trip here, so you can look up my Bird-threads (there must be quite a few).

Long story short -

The difference between the first 2 encountered in '09 and the 2 recent ones was significant.

Almost nothing in the '09's opposed to hyper-creamy vs. great glaze with primal wooden core in the 2012's.

In other words, there are no real rules when it comes to sound as far as I see it. Maybe apart from the fact that the TV's generally are more vintage-woody.

And as said the other day, I'm extremely curious to know whether Birds in general get louder and more projective from the plant these years.

Have yet to investigate this issue.

Guess most acoustic Gibsons are hard to put into 1 dimension, but these flora-fauna-fliers sure are a riddle.

Ooh, , , btw. there's a detail unmentionend, but that's regarding TV contra TV 167.

The first has a WBWBWB top binding (from egde and in). The latter goes WBWBWBW.

Not sure about the Standard, but it's in one of my former reports, good lords (to end with a little rhyme) ,-)

Beyond what Lefty Guy said and what Aster1 had noted the differences between the Hummingbird Standard and TV are color (TV - Cherry, Standard - Honey), frets (TV - smaller older style, Standard - higher style), back braces bottom 2 ( TV - smaller, thinner, Standard - fatter and taller). The TV was about a third lighter, had more sparkle in the trebles, and hand painted pick guard made from original mold. The price difference for me was under a grand between the two. Both are excellent guitars, both sound great, for me it came down to the TV sounded like an aged guitar and I dig the Cherry Burst over the Honey Burst. I hope I got it all right in specs.

[drool] those weeks are going to be long...but so worthy [biggrin]

Now I'm more confused. The Gibson website is showing the Standard as the Heritage Cherry Sunburst BUT NOW IN A POLY FINISH. Not Nitro. I don't want no stinking Poly finish on a guitar that pricey!!! [cursing] If it ain't Nitro, this will be a NO DEAL for me. All my Gibson Acoustics are nitro and won't be starting to add new ones that aren't. Anyone now about this from the website?

I was thinking the TV was maybe more the Honey but I can't find any good photo's of a Honey Burst Hummingbird to look at. Just the Heritage Cherry & the new Wine (for a limited time). I see a new Hummingbird that sports Maple. I have a Dove and guess I wouldn't want a Bird in anything but Mahogany I think.

Aster

Nothing to do with quality of sound, but doesn't the TV get a hard case with pink interior ? And of course the old style orange label as opposed to the white.

I always wondered about the price difference between the TV when it came to the Hummingbird.

With the J45TV - you get a red spruce top as an upgrade - at least for the later models.

Maybe Hide Glue is also used in the TV series ?

Like someone so truthfully mentioned, in the end, you need to go with what sounds good.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I have a Sheryl Crow Country Western which I believe is similar to the Birds. Awesome instruments when you get the one you like,

Harmonics

Nothing to do with quality of sound, but doesn't the TV get a hard case with pink interior ? And of course the old style orange label as opposed to the white.

With the J45TV - you get a red spruce top as an upgrade - at least for the later models.

Harmonics

Harmonics, I do know the TV is listed with the vintage brown w/pink case & the orange label too. Hide glue, I was told no except for the neck joint is hide glue on the Gibson guitars standard I believe for neck resets.

Aster

I always wondered about the price difference between the TV when it came to the Hummingbird.

Like someone so truthfully mentioned, in the end, you need to go with what sounds good.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I have a Sheryl Crow Country Western which I believe is similar to the Birds. Awesome instruments when you get the one you like,

Harmonics

Now I'm more confused. The Gibson website is showing the Standard as the Heritage Cherry Sunburst BUT NOW IN A POLY FINISH. Not Nitro. I don't want no stinking Poly finish on a guitar that pricey!!! [cursing] If it ain't Nitro, this will be a NO DEAL for me. All my Gibson Acoustics are nitro and won't be starting to add new ones that aren't. Anyone now about this from the website?

I was thinking the TV was maybe more the Honey but I can't find any good photo's of a Honey Burst Hummingbird to look at. Just the Heritage Cherry & the new Wine (for a limited time). I see a new Hummingbird that sports Maple. I have a Dove and guess I wouldn't want a Bird in anything but Mahogany I think.

Aster

I have a Quilt Maple Custom Bird in the Heritage or Vintage ( forget which and it's downstairs right now; shame!) Cherry nitro. The color gets a bit too "orange" for me every so often, and so I neglect to keep it handy. But, every time I get it out to play I realize I prefer the tone over all my guitars, Gibson or other makes! So, I guess that is saying something quite on the plus for the Maple Bird .

Harmonics, I do know the TV is listed with the vintage brown w/pink case & the orange label too. Hide glue, I was told no except for the neck joint is hide glue on the Gibson guitars standard I believe for neck resets.

Aster

Here are the specs of the Hummingbird TV per Gibson's website: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Hummingbird-True-Vintage/Specs.aspx

The TV uses a different species of rosewood for the fretboard and bridge and also uses different bracing from the HB standard. Not sure about Hide glue, but I believe some is used but it is not used throughout. Also, if you're into that kind of thing the pickguard on the TV is a little fancier as it's hand painted. I played quite a few standards before I settled on my HB TV and to me the HB TV was much lighter than most of the standards I played and more responsive. That pink case is pretty awesome too . . .

Just got a clarification on the Gibson website. Still Nitro and that must be a mistake showing Poly on the Standard Hummingbird. Ordered up the Standard that was selected from 5-6 as being a nice player, great sounding guitar. Will be on the way and here maybe Weds. I wavered for a moment, but the Standard is so much better a guitar than my playing deserves anyway I decided not to invest the extra $900 above the $2400 on the new standard.

If it isn't a great guitar when it arrives, but I have no doubt it will be excellent, then back it goes on my 30 day trial.

Thanks for all the info on the TV. I was close, but maybe someday on a TV. But yes, that vintage brown case with pink fur and the vintage tuner would have been really great looking for sure. I'm sure it would sound better too with the extra shape to the bracing. I would NOT have settled for Poly finish as I have a Poly Epi Bird. Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a guitar for $300 plus case. It's not in the league of the Gibby however. I'll keep the Epi at the office to play. [biggrin]

Aster

I had asked about being built with Hot Hide Glue vs standard glue and he said no.

Aster

Both have hide glue for the neck joints. Originally it was said because it would enhance the sound. Perhaps more realistically, they're using hide glue because it will be easier to steam off when a neck reset needs to be done. (Actually an encouraging statement: they expect the guitar to last for years and therefore anticipate a neck reset.)

I was told the TV was designed more as a studio instrument so it's lighter built and is a copy of the originals. The Modern/Historic Collection Birds were designed for people who play gigs and so was built a bit heavier so it can stand up to traveling and that's also why it has the pup built in.

Something that worries me: apparently Gibson is saying somewhere on their site that the new Birds are painted with a polymer paint instead of nitrocellulose. I can't find that anywhere, but if it's true it would definitely affect my choice of guitars.

As a great man once said: "I love the smell of nitrocellulose in the morning--it's the smell of victory!"

Here's a vid of a Modern/Historic or (whatever it's called) in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7a4TR9_xI

And this online dealer is currently offering 12-pay on the Modern/Historic Birds:

12-pay Birds

I've dealt with them and their approval process is easy as is their return policy (45 days to return). I'm not affiliated with them.

Oops! Looks like your post was added while I was still working on mine!

Thanks for the clarification about the lacquer vs poly. Good news.

And let me be the first to congratulate you on your new Bird! I remember those days spent waiting for it to arrive and praying that it would turn out to be a freak. Mine did and it's so far beyond anything I deserve as a would-be musician. It's amazing. I envy you the next several months of waking up to the smell of nitrocellulose and mahogany.

Thanks and yes, I'm excited, but not to take any of the blush off the OP. Still, I'd rather have the TV like his as it is a beauty and I know I'd love it. I can take a bike trip for 2 weeks for the difference and I'm a hack on the gitfiddle anyways. [biggrin]

Here's the site page that I was getting nervous about:

Standard Hummingbird

Scroll down a bit and to the right is "Finishes" and the Sealer is listed as Poly.

Aster

Archived