Gibson Brands Forums

Pulled the trigger on a Hummingbird TV.....

Lefty Guy

Thanks and yes, I'm excited, but not to take any of the blush off the OP. Still, I'd rather have the TV like his as it is a beauty and I know I'd love it. I can take a bike trip for 2 weeks for the difference and I'm a hack on the gitfiddle anyways. [biggrin]

Here's the site page that I was getting nervous about:

Standard Hummingbird

Scroll down a bit and to the right is "Finishes" and the Sealer is listed as Poly.

Aster

So is it Poly or Nitro on the Standard (Modern classic) model? Mine is due tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Steve

at Wildwood said it was Nitro......but now I'm not positive. I'm getting a bit queezy. [scared]

Check out this link and scroll down and voila, it says Nitro.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/13452022.php?CategoryID=451&n=39

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ran though the posts, not sure.

Did we mention the bone versus tusq nut ?

E-minor7,

You're right: The Gibson Hummingbird page posted previously states that the nut is "Tusq," while my 2010 is bone.

Also, my 2010 MC was described as having a "AAA-rated Sitka spruce top" whereas the new description describes the top as simply "select Sitka spruce."

Maybe Jeremy can answer if these are just typos on the new web page or if Gibson has changed the specifications.

Either way, chances are the guitars that the others on this post have recently purchased will likely be the older specifications.

Can't wait to see pictures of their new guitars!

Here she is! Light as a feather & nice shimmering tone, a little more "Tayloresque" than my more punchy SJ but a nice balance to the latter.

I really like the aged TV finish, which is SOOOOOO much easier to cope with than the high gloss of my SJ (given my guitar cleaning compulsive obsessive disorder) & the cherry 'burst is thankfully not overly red.

I'm so pleased to give this orphan a home - she was built way back in June 2012, so must have been feeling rather unloved in the meantime :-)

bird1_zps692a2136.jpg

516f10ec-bb49-4b64-a708-931277e23fc6_zpsa152c532.jpg

799f589a-8be8-4075-a27d-89c14be9dce8_zps96ba560d.jpg

Here she is! Light as a feather & nice shimmering tone, a little more "Tayloresque" than my more punchy SJ but a nice balance to the latter.

I really like the aged TV finish, which is SOOOOOO much easier to cope with than the high gloss of my SJ (given my guitar cleaning compulsive obsessive disorder) & the cherry 'burst is thankfully not overly red.

I'm so pleased to give this orphan a home - she was built way back in June 2012, so must have been feeling rather unloved in the meantime :-)

She's a beauty! Love that burst. Enjoy. [drool]

That's a real beauty Lefty!!! Totally gorgeous to behold. Play it in good health & happiness for sure. [thumbup]

Pepper, the final word from Gibson was the Montana guitars are all Nitro. Don't know why it got "the P word" on their website but it was scary to me to see that. I do see the nut and I'm sure the saddle too are tusq. I guess those are really pretty easy swap outs for not much $$ if I just can't live with them.

It's on the way today from the notice. Will make the final decision after a few weeks I guess.

Aster

Yes, DANG IT ALL!!!

Now I'm Jones'n for the TV and the Standard just is feeling sub-Standard to me!! :rolleyes: It's a sickness that I need to keep in line. Just lots of deep breathing now, slow, deep. The standard will be okay, it's just fine. AND GOOD ENOUGH FOR WHO IT'S FOR is what I need to remember!!! [biggrin]

I still want the TV

Aster

Beautiful - that burst goes particularly well with the aged slightly yellowed binding.

Best seen on pic #1

Now so obvious to wish for a sound-clip.

Be Happy

You're correct Em7, the binding is yellowed, actually quite a lot.

Aster, your Standard will be wonderful AND you get a pick-up thrown in for free! The main reason I sold my Historic/standard J-45 was that the nut was a little too thin for me (1.675ins v today's 1.725ins). But she was an awesome guitar.

bird1_zps692a2136.jpg

516f10ec-bb49-4b64-a708-931277e23fc6_zpsa152c532.jpg

799f589a-8be8-4075-a27d-89c14be9dce8_zps96ba560d.jpg

On man what a beauty !!! Happy for you Mr. Lefty !

...five painfully more long weeks to go... :(

On man what a beauty !!! Happy for you Mr. Lefty !

...five painfully more long weeks to go... :(

It'll be worth the wait! I only got to play mine last night for a couple of hours & am off on holiday this weekend so won't be able to get back to her for 10 days!

is the top sitka or red spruce ?

Sitka as far as I know & yes, I too am so glad I got her. It was something of a sudden decision as I'd considered one before but rather put it on the back burner. A combination of not getting on with my smaller bodied 000, the recent discontinuation of various models by Gibson, the discovery of a rare lefty one close by AND a dealer accepting my cheeky bid, kind of made my decision for me!

Another detail must be noticed.

They haven't made the reverse 'Hummingbird' tr-cover so the Lefty's lefty is black.

I like the blank version better and replace those printed ones on my own guitars. Think it clear enough to indentify the models without them ,-)

Made a few in leather - have a British silver gratefuldeadish on the C&W. My Bird has brass. . . .

Btw. somebody asked if they affected sound (and I'm not sure if it was meant as a joke).

But in fact a rather good Q - don't know the answer here.

Another detail must be noticed.

They haven't made the reverse 'Hummingbird' tr-cover so the Lefty's lefty is black.

I like the blank version better and replace those printed ones on my own guitars. Think it clear enough to indentify the models without them ,-)

Made a few in leather - have a British silver gratefuldeadish on the C6W. My Bird has brass. . . .

Btw. somebody asked if they affected sound (and I'm not sure if it was meant as a joke).

But in fact a rather good Q - don't know the answer here.

Em7,

I once asked Jeremy Fuller if they did the hummingbird tr engraving on lefty hbird TV's and he said no .

JC

Em7,

I once asked Jeremy Fuller if they did the hummingbird tr engraving on lefty hbird TV's and he said no .

JC

Okay - no issue at all.

In case it was, I'm almost sure it could be fixed through some of the Bay-sellers.

It'll be worth the wait! I only got to play mine last night for a couple of hours & am off on holiday this weekend so won't be able to get back to her for 10 days!

Won't be able to play it for 10 Days?????

That's not good. Just not good.

You still have the packing material, right?

Then send it to us in the States and we'll be your own personal ToneRite. We'll pass it around and play it constantly (after we correct that lefty thing). And we'll have it back to you on time (probably).

Beautiful guitar, Lefty guy.

Won't be able to play it for 10 Days?????

That's not good. Just not good.

You still have the packing material, right?

Then send it to us in the States and we'll be your own personal ToneRite. We'll pass it around and play it constantly (after we correct that lefty thing). And we'll have it back to you on time (probably).

Beautiful guitar, Lefty guy.

[smile] [smile] [smile]

Archived