Gibson Brands Forums

Pulled the trigger on a Hummingbird TV.....

Lefty Guy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as I promised here are pics of my new Hummingbird TV that I got from Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse, Wisc. The sound is awesome. I couldn't be happier. This guitar was made in 2011 and as you'll notice it has a 2 piece bridge which doesn't affect the sound at all. The 2 piece bridge was not a deal breaker for me as I got a great deal

IMG_3958_zpsbb95c736.jpg

IMG_3959_zpsf1996636.jpg

IMG_3956_zps83c47427.jpg

[thumbup]

Well as I promised here are pics of my new Hummingbird TV that I got from Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse, Wisc. The sound is awesome. I couldn't be happier. This guitar was made in 2011 and as you'll notice it has a 2 piece bridge which doesn't affect the sound at all. The 2 piece bridge was not a deal breaker for me as I got a great deal

Congrats on your TV. It looks sweet indeed. My lowly lefty standard Bird was delivered yesterday.

My first Gibson acoustic ever. It's pretty nice if I say so myself.

post-46029-035626600 1375553185_thumb.jpg

post-46029-094093700 1375553206_thumb.jpg

These are all fine looking Hummingbirds - outstanding ! Nice trio. This is the model that keeps elluding me, glad you all found some good companions ! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

(BTW - the Lacey Act bridge would not be a deal killer to me either - hell, I've got dimples, bridge plate holes, a tin ear and no rhythm- doesn't keep me from having fun !) B)

Nice looking guitar there Pepperland, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Thanks Duluthdan, I figure that maybe one day the Lacey Act guitars will be worth little more than the non because of Gibson's way of overcoming a problem and still producing an excellent instrument.

Pepperland,

Nothing lowly about your guitar. It's a beaut! msp_drool.gif

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

I've only been able to spend a couple of hours with my new Bird. First Gibson and

first short scale ever. I'm likin' it so far, definitely different.

I'd like to know what strings you guys prefer on your Birds. I've got D'Addario EJ16's

on mine right now. I apologize if this a thread crap, didn't really want to clog the

forum up with another, What's your favourite string? :unsure:

I've only been able to spend a couple of hours with my new Bird. First Gibson and

first short scale ever. I'm likin' it so far, definitely different.

I'd like to know what strings you guys prefer on your Birds. I've got D'Addario EJ16's

on mine right now. I apologize if this a thread crap, didn't really want to clog the

forum up with another, What's your favourite string? :unsure:

I recently ordered 2 sets of Gibson Masterbuilts phosphor bronze 12-53 to kind of revisit the sound of my Bird when I got it.

They're are alright, but I'm not sure I recognize the exact flavour. The guitar might be developing already.

The set before the second Masterbuilts was Martin SP bronze 12-54, which is a pretty strong and long lasting string.

Recommend them and will put them on again.

Apart from that I always use D'Addarios EJ 16 12-53 as common everyday choice, f.x. for A/B's.

I think it's a good 'neutral' string to work with on a daily basis.

For you who are on honeymoon, those SP's as said, would be a suggestion.

Could be a matter of minutes before someone adds DR Sunbeams.

So, , , , buy a rainbow and have fun. . .

I recently ordered 2 sets of Gibson Masterbuilts phosphor bronze 12-53 to kind of revisit the sound of my Bird when I got it.

They're are alright, but I'm not sure I recognize the exact flavour. The guitar might be developing already.

The set before the second Masterbuilts was Martin SP bronze 12-54, which is a pretty strong and lond lasting string.

Recommend them and will put them on again.

Apart from that I always use D'Addarios EJ 16 12-53 as common everyday choice, f.x. for A/B's.

I think it's a good 'neutral' string to work with on a daily basis.

For you who are on honeymoon, those SP's as said, would be a suggestion.

Could be a matter of minutes before someone adds DR Sunbeams.

So, , , , buy a rainbow and have fun. . .

Thank you. I have some DR Sunbeams and Martin SP's so I'll give them both a try.

I settled on EJ 16's a few years ago and use them on all of my guitars. I also like

John Pearse PB but they went dead after about 3 days, and I don't even sweat. Too bad

because I really liked what I was hearing. I have one set I might throw on to see how

they do on the Bird.

I've had John Pearse PB's on mine for about 3 weeks now but it's time to change them. I liked them. They are a bit mellower than the Masterbuilts.

The best I've had were the Thomastik Infeld Spectrums (bronze). Very expensive ($17 discounted) and their light gauge seems like every one else's medium. I normally like 13s when my fingers are okay, but I quickly took these 13s off my Bird because they seemed to have too much tension. Reviews are mixed on how long they last. I'll use the 12s every once in awhile for the great lower tones (and the silk wrapping).

My reference string is the Masterbuilt PB 12s. The latest set came in a plastic wrap instead of the usual cardboard box. I don't know if they changed the formulation, but these strings were manic (overtones everywhere) until they settled down and then played well as usual.

I still haven't tried the Sunbeams: EuroAussie seems to like these, so they're worth a try.

(See E-minor 7, you were right about someone mentioning them.)

I figure that maybe one day the Lacey Act guitars will be worth little more than the non because of Gibson's way of overcoming a problem and still producing an excellent instrument.

I doubt it, but I do hope you're right, I've got two of the buggers.

Congrats all round to the new hummingbird owners out there over the last few weeks.

Lefty Guy,

So, have you had a chance to play your new 'Bird or are you still out of town?

Waiting to hear how you like it. (The pictures were great!)

FMA

Still out of town on hols returning next week. I only got a couple of hours playing time in before leaving but she sounded great. Hope to get back to her Thursday evening.

=) beautiful too =D

enjoy !

JC

Well I sent the Bird back. I only had a short time with it.

There were 2 finish issues that I discovered after I looked closer.

They bothered me enough that I couldn't live with them. They looked like deep

sanding marks from when they sanded the top, not hairlines but deep scratches.

Other than that, it was a beautiful guitar. It played very well but overall

it was too subdued for my liking so I'm on the lookout for J200, lefty.

Archived