Gibson Brands Forums

Tweed Case Source?

duluthdan

Interested in finding a Tweed case for the SJ-200, for no particular reason other than I like the vibe, and I'm getting tired of a rack full of black cases - I've even taken to labeling them with small pieces of blue painters tape so I can remember what's inside. Any ideas?

I have a pretty nice tweed case from Gator for my IB Texan, I believe, that I like a lot. Nice construction, & fit too. I will say it stunk to hi-heaven when I first got it (chemical smell from either the wood or solvents for the fur glue. Aired it out for about a week and that did the trick.

Aster

Dan, I think the Cedar Creek case looks pretty good. http://www.cedarcreekcases.com

They even have a custom case builder on the site so you can see what your case will look like.

GT

I like this idea. I'll measure it up this weekend and give Cedar Creek a shout. Its a special guitar - deserves a special case. Thanks fellas !

The list of measurements Cedar Creek requires is fairly daunting. You have to get fairly creative, & possibly have an assistant if you don't want to have an aluminum-edged 24" level rotate & do more damage than not having a case(measuring distance from top of bridge pins to back of guitar here):

CaseMeasure_zps64600dcb.jpg

Also- not too certain about the ability to deal directly w/ Cedar Creek. However, Guitar Gallery, Nashville (guitargal.com) is experienced in working with Cedar Creek. A case in the tweed shown here (the variety of which they use is very durable) for an SJ-200 would probably be close to $500. And it's hard to believe that Cedar Creek hasn't made enough cases for the major guitar manufacturers that it doesn't already have the templates to make most major models. I suppose by having the customer make the measurements, they cover themselves if there is a fitment problem. In any event, it's worth the trouble:

image_zps33f55761.jpg

I'll measure it up this weekend and give Cedar Creek a shout.

As TKL is the OEM supplier of "Gibson" cases, and Cedar Creek IS TKL, they already have the patterns for all current, and recent, Gibson models. You should not have to furnish them any dimensions, they already have them.

Call their "800" number and ask them what case model numbers are for your guitar. They will give you three or four (good, better, best), then go on their website and pick the lining and covering of your choice. You have now "spec'd" your case, and can get prices and availability from a retailer. TKL/Cedar Creek does not sell direct.

Tweed is a standard "option" for TKL cases, and may even be off-the-shelf for some retailers.

Here's a sample page of stock items from TKL's website.

http://www.tkl.com/?siteid=search&qsearch=jumbo%20-small%20-super&sh=Guitar%20-%20Jumbo

PS: Street price (for stock items) is about 60% of the MSRP's listed on the TKL website.

Archived