Gibson Brands Forums

Played a J-200 last weekend that was fantastic!

struma6

Good lord, how many 12 year olds post here????

I made NO claims about how the Epi compared to a Gibson. My statement was one of "I played a frikkin great Epiphone today and would buy it in a heartbeat." Turning it into a pissing contest was magical.

I'm a Gibson guy, the lions share of acoustic guitars I've owned over 45 years have been Gibsons. Many I've loved, some were not so loved. While a self-proclaimed Gibson man I would NEVER dismiss any guitar that played and sounded great regardless of headstock script. There's REALLY no need to reduce the thing to some brand loyalty debate, is there? I played a cedar topped Takamine EF-341 for YEARS that was one of my favorite boxes ever. All the while loving my Gibsons. If I play some made in Indonesia parlor guitar that blows me away I'll say...this is a good guitar. If I play a Gibson that sounds like crap (I've played more than a few) I'll say...this guitar ain't good. Period.

Personally I've played a TON of Martins, few of which spoke to me. That mean Martin sucks? No, means Martin and I aren't a match. My friend has a Nippon Gakki era F-180 Yamaha that looks like it was played with a quarter, The top has been worn down so the next layer of ply shows on the plywood top! And it is, to me and others I respect, THE best sounding dreadnaught guitar I've ever played, it's an amazing instrument.

If it's good, it's good. Everything else is just chin boogie.

The EJ-200 Epi is short for Epic! The guitar is a fantastic player and sounds amazing.

When a friend of mine heard my SJ-200 he immediately fell in love with it but didnt have the expendable cash so he ordered an EJ-200 cutaway with pickup from MF with a hardshell epiphone case for $350 or $400. Great value indeed! I enjoy playing it everytime I'm at his place.

That being said there is no comparison in my humble opinion to the real thing! The real thing will cost ya but its a price I have no regrets on paying!

Good lord, how many 12 year olds post here????

I made NO claims about how the Epi compared to a Gibson. My statement was one of "I played a frikkin great Epiphone today and would buy it in a heartbeat." Turning it into a pissing contest was magical.

[snip]

Sure you did:

[snip]

They didn't have a Gibby 200 so I couldn't A/B them but I wouldn't hesitate to play this thing right alongside someone playing the Gibson.

[snip]

To say "I wouldn't hesitate to play x alongside y" is to compare x to y.

I think most of us understood your point - you found a particularly nice specimen of the EJ-200. Even though we get that, you did more or less invite the comparison in the second quote above (and by starting a thread about an epiphone in the gibson section). I am not disagreeing with you let alone attacking you - I own a version of that Epi myself and played it today. Mine cost $136 delivered to my door. I will see if I can record something with it. It's pretty amazing at that price.

Sure you did:

To say "I wouldn't hesitate to play x alongside y" is to compare x to y.

I think most of us understood your point - you found a particularly nice specimen of the EJ-200. Even though we get that, you did more or less invite the comparison in the second quote above. I am not disagreeing with you let alone attacking you - I own a version of that Epi myself and played it today. Mine cost $136 delivered to my door. I will see if I can record something with it. It's pretty amazing at that price.

I hope you do. I'd like to hear that.

Still looking for a 'beater' and I don't mean to insult with that term.

I went to buy my first guitar in the early 90's, saved up for months. No internet then so I didn't have a clue what I wanted. I saw a black EJ-200 and was thinking that's Noels guitar from Oasis, I'm getting it. Took it home and it not only played like a bag of spanners but sounded like em too. My 10 pound beater sounded better. Anyway I took it back to the shop and swapped it for a second hand Tanglewood tw15, beautiful guitar. I think that kind of put me off Gibson's for a few years, even though it was an epiphone.

To the OP, sounds like a nice guitar, you should have snapped her up or put a deposit on it.

To Blindboy Tanglewood tw15 they go for 50-100 quid on ebay, solid wood, nice sounding, cost 500 new, they'd be a nice beater. I'm waiting till one come up for sale near me.

Ive played a few of those Epi 200's in my time, some sounded deader than dead, a couple sounded very good to the point of where I almost brought one home with me. Point being there are some special ones out there.

Here's Noel Gallagher playing one from 20 years ago, sounds pretty good to me !

Ive played a few of those Epi 200's in my time, some sounded deader than dead, a couple sounded very good to the point of where I almost brought one home with me. Point being there are some special ones out there.

Here's Noel Gallagher playing one from 20 years ago, sounds pretty good to me !

Christ. Is that 20 years ago ?

Thanks for that

Archived