Gibson Brands Forums

Getting ready to head to my 5 star for NGD!

RunningDownTheR

Same thing is happening in Mississippi. Ethel's Joint and Junior's Place are gone while Po' Monkey's (where they used to push all the furniture back to have carpet dances) now has an historic marker in front of it and a family night. About all we will shortly be left with is some Hollywood star's version of what a juke joint was.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same thing is happening in Mississippi. Ethel's Joint and Junior's Place are gone while Po' Monkey's (where they used to push all the furniture back to have carpet dances) now has an historic marker in front of it and a family night. About all we will shortly be left with is some Hollywood star's version of what a juke joint was.

I spent one year in a small college outside of Jackson, Mississippi in the mid-1960's. It was still a pretty tough place to get by if you were black, and most of the juke joints were segregated to the point that you really had to pay attention to where you went, whether you were black or white. Having said that, there were a few blues joints where white college kids like me were reasonably welcome, but you had to know which ones they were, and which nights you were welcome.

Ironically, we had the same problem with "whites only" honky tonks, where white college kids were not particularly welcome unless they sounded and dressed like they came from rural Mississippi.

Fortunately, this was a year before I sprouted long hair and a beard, after which things went downhill very rapidly when I came home to Mississippi for the summers. On the plus side, I survived--although bruised and battered on one occasion.

I loved juke joints, and the smell of stale beer, too much cigarette smoke, and both the slow wail of rural electric blues and the painful longing of too many Hank Williams songs. My old J-45 was clearly used in joints such as those, as she had a hole for a pickup wire in here side, worn frets and fretboard, and the loose braces that only come from a hard life as an amplified rhythm guitar in a honky tonk band, even though she was less than 20 years old when I got here in 1966.

Most of those places are probably long gone now, but they were part of the Southern landscape when I was a young guitar player.

Impressive effort. I have to admit I probably wouldn't make a trip like that, but choosing in person is the best way to go.

Best of luck. Looking forward to reading your return post. . B)

The hunt, the chase, trip, the restaurants, getting what you really want is a huge fun for us! Heck, I love that part really. I went to all these places noted below this year (except Chicago) under each pick in photo and tried out guitars before settling on the J-45. The HD28V by Martin was a close second. This is not my last guitar as I actually want a couple of more right now!

9C49A852-A0FF-4994-8EEA-469152F9A67E-241-00000073D74C8C9F.jpg[/

Make it a really fun & safe event. That's what we work our butts off for isn't it? [thumbup]

Aster

msp_thumbup.gif

Good on ya', my brother-man....I hope that you find the "Holy Grail" of Gibsons that fits your budget... [thumbup]

Man, now that I see it....I want to go to Bailey Bros.....I want to go to Bai.....

Congrats! J-45 TVs are great guitars. I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time.

And kudos to Keith for helping you find the right one!

But that picture is in front of a wall of Taylor's!!! [scared] (just kidding!)

I was a bit disappointed in that they didn't have a Southern Jumbo, Jackson Browne to try. Not as many as I thought. I figured they would have one of everything!!!msp_confused.gif

And I thought you were in Birmingham ... UK

Sounds weird to have a Birmingham in the US, just too English sounding ..

Going to the UK is definitely on my bucket list msp_thumbup.gif along with Italy (33%) Italian.

Keith: "our payment policy is very easy, we take cash, check, credit card, first born children and small puppies... how would you like that set-up - lights low with no-buzz?"

RDtR: "lemme go find some puppies..." [biggrin]

Parrot in the back of the shop: 'Hi Keith!" (gotta follow Murph to get that one)

J-45 TV. Gotta love 'em ! One of the most iconic guitars on the planet !!!

Gonna let the wife drive home while you play away in the back seat?

I was not really that tired I guess cuz I was still so pumped up! What a town that Birmingham. Those houses on top of that mountain.... crazy eusa_pray.gif

Don't forget about the quart of blood they drew Dan! He won't be strong enough to play on the way home. A pitcher of OJ & box of cookies, sleeping in the back seat all the way home.

Congrats & Happy NGD

Aster

Actually Keith sort of pulled one on me as to the price we had agreed to verbally on the phone before I came over but that's another story and I was willing to go with the "higher" price because you don't just come across "the one" unless you play it. This one was the one and I had to go with his price if I wanted it and he knew I wanted it. ($200 over what we verbally agreed). I'm not knocking Keith as he was a great guy and great salesman, but I understand everyone has to make a living. msp_biggrin.gif I actually had found one from Rainbow for $2250 but I couldn't test it out over the internet and if I returned it I would have to pay shipping costs both ways.

I loved juke joints, and the smell of stale beer, too much cigarette smoke, ....

I'll try to bottle up some of that smell from my old Ovation I was palyin' back then and send it to you. Everytime I open the case it's still there.

Haaaayyy! I've been a professional salesman for 40 years & never once have I done a person wrong. [biggrin] I've been thanked for helping people thru what they are afraid of too many times to count. Modoc, I don't like someone "selling" me something anymore than the next guy. If you are really good at it long term you are a need satisfier & consultant more. I've saved more than a few from making tragic mistakes that they thought for sure they wanted. Been thanked for that often too. People, including me, like to "own" things, we don't really like to "buy" things as that's the scary part. Glad the guitar salesman was helpful & a need satisifer from the sounds of it.

RDTR, even the stink'n case is beautiful. Congrats & thanks for the pictorial of the adventure. It was grand!!

Aster

Thank you Aster! I had this guy at GC that was my salesman every time I walked in the door he was always there from the minute I walked in until I left. I always trusted him that he was giving me the "best" deal. After buying 4 guitars from him I found that he was not really doing that great of deals for me msp_thumbdn.gif I should have known better but it's a lot like buying cars if you know what I mean. It's a sucky business. Some people get great deals while others get Bucked! rolleyes.gif

I spent one year in a small college outside of Jackson, Mississippi in the mid-1960's.

Farish Street which to me is the Mecca of the blues still ain't none too safe to walk around. But going by Speirs second store I swear you can still hear Skip, Charlie and Robert in th little studio upstairs.

Actually Keith sort of pulled one on me as to the price we had agreed to verbally on the phone before I came over but that's another story and I was willing to go with the "higher" price because you don't just come across "the one" unless you play it. This one was the one and I had to go with his price if I wanted it and he knew I wanted it. ($200 over what we verbally agreed). I'm not knocking Keith as he was a great guy and great salesman, but I understand everyone has to make a living. msp_biggrin.gif I actually had found one from Rainbow for $2250 but I couldn't test it out over the internet and if I returned it I would have to pay shipping costs both ways.

Sorry if there was in any confusion! I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think I would bait and switch. If i don't remember a talk, or I messed up then I apologize. I am glad we got it all worked out and I hope you walked away not feeling taken or tricked. If so, give me a call. I don't live my life that way or do business like that. I want to keep my slate clean. :)

msp_thumbup.gif

I was a bit disappointed in that they didn't have a Southern Jumbo, Jackson Browne to try. Not as many as I thought. I figured they would have one of everything!!!msp_confused.gif

we only had 28 on the wall that day! lol. those other 2 are actually discontinued ;)

we only had 28 on the wall that day! lol. those other 2 are actually discontinued ;)

I have two local Gibson dealers. One has three acoustic Gibsons on the wall. They've each been there at least three years and all need a neck reset.

The other one has three not in much better shape.

Sorry if there was in any confusion! I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think I would bait and switch. If i don't remember a talk, or I messed up then I apologize. I am glad we got it all worked out and I hope you walked away not feeling taken or tricked. If so, give me a call. I don't live my life that way or do business like that. I want to keep my slate clean. :)

Keith,

I'm too old to make a $200 mistake like that! msp_smile.gif Honestly, I would not have driven 5 hours and rented a hotel room to pay that much more money. I would have taken a chance and ordered from Rainbow and please don't start the "we are a 5 star dealer stuff" again....msp_thumbdn.gif Man, your price to me was suppose to be $2300 as promised, not $2500. So you actually owe me $200 between honorable men! Being an honorable person, I can't just not tell the truth to all that have read this thread that might put there trust out there! Just sayin! It's not the first time i've been bulldogged on a purchase. I still have an inner flaw from the old days when there was more trust amongst men. And I apologize if the truth hurts.

Keith,

I'm too old to make a $200 mistake like that! msp_smile.gif Honestly, I would not have driven 5 hours and rented a hotel room to pay that much more money. I would have taken a chance and ordered from Rainbow and please don't start the "we are a 5 star dealer stuff" again....msp_thumbdn.gif Man, your price to me was suppose to be $2300 as promised, not $2500. So you actually owe me $200 between honorable men! Being an honorable person, I can't just not tell the truth to all that have read this thread that might put there trust out there! Just sayin! It's not the first time i've been bulldogged on a purchase. I still have an inner flaw from the old days when there was more trust amongst men.

I've known Keith for a while now. I have bought from him, sold to him and bought/sold with him. If this was a mistake made by Keith then it would be "the exception that proves the rule."

Keith has a lot of loyal customers that would have happily paid more than what you paid for that guitar. He gave you a great deal. I'm not trying to start anything here but I wanted to give credit where credit is due. Keith was the biggest part of why that store got the title of "5 star dealer of the year" and he didn't do it by pulling a bait and switch on people. He didn't it by being knowledgable about the product, knowing his customer base and stocking the guitars he thought they would want. It also helps that people like him as a person.

I've known Keith for a while now. I have bought from him, sold to him and bought/sold with him. If this was a mistake made by Keith then it would be "the exception that proves the rule."

Great unless you the exception. I don't know the sales guy or his store but it sounds like he knew he had the buyer hooked and reeled him in. I would not have been as forgiving as RDTR.

Sorry, but something smells funny when the OP goes from proudly showing off the guitar and his free T-shirt and mentioning the complimentary Marine Band harmonica to so quickly complaining about the selection (ONLY 28?) and the $200 that the salesguy has already agreed to make any misunderstanding right.

I'd never heard of you before the past few weeks and you've asked many questions on this board and complained quite a bit along the way about not being able to find the right guitar. Then you said you found it and had a great time.

Then you didn't.

Seriously, you would've gambled on another guitar through mailorder for $200 after all the problems you've had with finding a good guitar????

Sorry, I once worked in sales. I recognize the breed.

Great unless you the exception. I don't know the sales guy or his store but it sounds like he knew he had the buyer hooked and reeled him in. I would not have been as forgiving as RDTR.

Thank you!

Please check post #60.

I will call you! (Can't use work phone, but will call with cell phone! Happy to hear you are going to correct your mistake! If that is what i'm hearing?) msp_thumbup.gif

Sorry, but something smells funny when the OP goes from proudly showing off the guitar and his free T-shirt and mentioning the complimentary Marine Band harmonica to so quickly complaining about the selection (ONLY 28?) and the $200 that the salesguy has already agreed to make any misunderstanding right.

I'd never heard of you before the past few weeks and you've asked many questions on this board and complained quite a bit along the way about not being able to find the right guitar. Then you said you found it and had a great time.

Then you didn't.

Seriously, you would've gambled on another guitar through mailorder for $200 after all the problems you've had with finding a good guitar????

Sorry, I once worked in sales. I recognize the breed.

Oh please!

Coming online and airing dirty laundry about a sale gone wrong is not very gentlemanly, if I'm to be honest.

I've read through the thread in full and you seem to wildly change from one extreme to another. Some of the posts make it hard to be sympathetic really. If I were the dealer I'd not be thrilled with all this. Sorry fella, just the way I see it. You chose to buy, you're an adult who completed the deal not some duped victim.

Do the right thing and take this offline.

Keith,

I'm too old to make a $200 mistake like that! msp_smile.gif Honestly, I would not have driven 5 hours and rented a hotel room to pay that much more money. I would have taken a chance and ordered from Rainbow and please don't start the "we are a 5 star dealer stuff" again....msp_thumbdn.gif Man, your price to me was suppose to be $2300 as promised, not $2500. So you actually owe me $200 between honorable men! Being an honorable person, I can't just not tell the truth to all that have read this thread that might put there trust out there! Just sayin! It's not the first time i've been bulldogged on a purchase. I still have an inner flaw from the old days when there was more trust amongst men. And I apologize if the truth hurts.

We have a saying in my business: "If you didn't get it in writing, it never happened". This is not being cynical or for a moment suggesting that a dealer like Keith would agree to one number and then charge you something else. Different people can have entirely different readings on the meaning or facts of any conversation.

If you expect someone to be bound to a quote, get that number in writing. If you don't do that, you have no grounds for complaint, and shouldn't impugn the honesty of someone else.

Even my luthier--with whom I've spent thousand of dollars, and who I trust completely--gives me a written itemized quote on the most trivial jobs, just so there is never any misunderstanding.

Archived