Gibson Brands Forums

Getting ready to head to my 5 star for NGD!

RunningDownTheR

This $200 dollar discussion should be taken offline boys.

Same, should have at least attempted to have been dealt with off-line first.

Coming online and airing dirty laundry about a sale gone wrong is not very gentlemanly, if I'm to be honest.

I've read through the thread in full and you seem to wildly change from one extreme to another. Some of the posts make it hard to be sympathetic really. If I were the dealer I'd not be thrilled with all this. Sorry fella, just the way I see it. You chose to buy, you're an adult who completed the deal not some duped victim.

Do the right thing and take this offline.

You guys might need to be in the "G" rated section if it offends you. Keith and I are great! This is just what happened and I have emailed him until I can call him. If it offends any of you then please don't click on topic!! Thankseusa_boohoo.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a saying in my business: "If you didn't get it in writing, it never happened". This is not being cynical or for a moment suggesting that a dealer like Keith would agree to one number and then charge you something else. Different people can have entirely different readings on the meaning or facts of any conversation.

If you expect someone to be bound to a quote, get that number in writing. If you don't do that, you have no grounds for complaint, and shouldn't impugn the honesty of someone else.

Even my luthier--with whom I've spent thousand of dollars, and who I trust completely--gives me a written itemized quote on the most trivial jobs, just so there is never any misunderstanding.

That's all I ever said, was that we had a $200 disagreement on what the price was suppose to be.... Yeah, I could have walked out the store.

That's all I ever said, was that we had a $200 disagreement on what the price was suppose to be.... Yeah, I could have walked out the store.

If you are 'great' why you tarring the fellas reputation online? Come on, you're obviously aware of the opinion you're putting across. No reason for that to be on here at all before offline avenues have been exhausted.

Ok, so there may or may not have been a misunderstanding. No problem, they are working it out offline. Let's put away the torches and say cheers for a new J-45 TV!

After all, we aren't the AGF are we?? Kidding.

RDTR, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new J-45 TV!

Ok, so there may or may not have been a misunderstanding. No problem, they are working it out offline. Let's put away the torches and say cheers for a new J-45 TV!

Thanks tvguit.. This thread can just end as it's getting off track in wrong direction. Time to practice a little guitar. msp_thumbup.gif

tvguit, I have been trying to play double trouble on acoustic but not with a lot of luck. The music is on p40 of Hal Leonard Guitar Method - Blues Guitar. I need someone to play it for me on youtube with acoustic of course... msp_tongue.gif I can't seem to get the Rhythm down. The youtubes i find are electric guitar.

I'll second what John says here.

tvguit, I have been trying to play double trouble on acoustic but not with a lot of luck. The music is on p40 of Hal Leonard Guitar Method - Blues Guitar. I need someone to play it for me on youtube with acoustic of course... msp_tongue.gif I can't seem to get the Rhythm down. The youtubes i find are electric guitar.

Forget the tab books, Youtube and such and just use your ears.

Hey zombywoof,

Can you go into more detail on this. How can you play without tab or reading music?

I am not saying there is anything wrong with tab or instructional videos. I wish to heck we had that kind of stuff back when I was learning how to play. But ear training can really make life alot easier.

Not sure I can really explain it. When I started playing if you did not take lessons you did not have a whole lot of choice when it came to learning. About all you could get in the way of instructional stuff was the Mel Bay books or the one written by Micky Baker (of "Love is Strange" fame). What we did have was records. So you learned by trying to copy what you heard. Not the best method if you are into instant gratification. I remember picking up the needle and placing it on the same spot on a record over an over again trying to figure out what the guitar was doing. After while though you just develop an ear for it. You may not come up with an exact translation but will be in the ballpark so you can work it out.

I also never copy anything note for note which probably helps. Part of it is doing things certain ways out of habit and some it it just good old fashioned limitations. There is one bit in Bo Carter's solo in "Cigarette Blues" that I have had trouble with as long as I can recall. I just can't nail it to my satisfaction. While I will keep pluggng away at it, I came up with my own version which while not as hard to play has the same feel and works in the song.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with tab or instructional videos. I wish to heck we had that kind of stuff back when I was learning how to play. But ear training can really make life alot easier.

Not sure I can really explain it. When I started playing if you did not take lessons you did not have a whole lot of choice when it came to learning. About all you could get in the way of instructional stuff was the Mel Bay books or the one written by Micky Baker (of "Love is Strange" fame). What we did have was records. So you learned by trying to copy what you heard. Not the best method if you are into instant gratification. I remember picking up the needle and placing it on the same spot on a record over an over again trying to figure out what the guitar was doing. After while though you just develop an ear for it. You may not come up with an exact translation but will be in the ballpark so you can work it out.

I also never copy anything note for note which probably helps. Part of it is doing things certain ways out of habit and some it it just good old fashioned limitations. There is one bit in Bo Carter's solo in "Cigarette Blues" that I have had trouble with as long as I can recall. I just can't nail it to my satisfaction. While I will keep pluggng away at it, I came up with my own version which while not as hard to play has the same feel and works in the song.

That's really cool and I can relate. When the Beatles first became popular me and my buddies would play there records and beat on boxes, imaginary guitars and bad singing! msp_laugh.gif I will have to try to be more open as i've only been playing about a year now. I spent most of my time studying music theory, learning to read tab and now am going thru riff and Hal Leonard books. Last night I did just start jamming without any tabs in front of me and it acutally wouldn't bad. eusa_boohoo.gif Can you play double trouble for me on acoustic and put on youtube?

That's really cool and I can relate. When the Beatles first became popular me and my buddies would play there records and beat on boxes, imaginary guitars and bad singing! msp_laugh.gif I will have to try to be more open as i've only been playing about a year now. I spent most of my time studying music theory, learning to read tab and now am going thru riff and Hal Leonard books. Last night I did just start jamming without any tabs in front of me and it acutally wouldn't bad. eusa_boohoo.gif Can you play double trouble for me on acoustic and put on youtube?

I am afraid my analog brain is lost when it comes to posting videos, music and such. Even my watches are all still the wind up variety.

I am probably the last one to be giving advice and can only tell you how I go about it. But a good way to go about it is to start by taking the basic chords and then figuring how to play the melody, bass and harmony line off that chord. Once you got that you got the basis for an intro and solo. Figure out what chords you can subsitute and then get how to play them ten different ways down cold. Pretty soon you will own that song.

Wowsers! Playing only a year and already scoring a J45TV and doing Coldplay riffs. I was playing a Stella and Mel Bay well past my first couple of years. So, will you be looking at D28s next?

Wowsers! Playing only a year and already scoring a J45TV and doing Coldplay riffs. I was playing a Stella and Mel Bay well past my first couple of years. So, will you be looking at D28s next?

Who's Coldplay? I thought he was talking about Elvis' Double Trouble

220px-Elvis_Presley_-_Double_Trouble.jpg

Who's Coldplay? I thought he was talking about Elvis' Double Trouble

220px-Elvis_Presley_-_Double_Trouble.jpg

Read line 2 of 3 in post #35 in which OP states his test run of the J45 TV included a ColdPlay riff. Same post in which you read Double Trouble barrs on 7 & 9 were also part of his test run.

So the song double trouble is the one by Coldplay and Taylor Swift or the one by Lynyrd Skynyrd or the on by Eric Clapton?

"Double Trouble" (The Cars song) <

"Double Trouble" (Elvis Presley song),

"Double Trouble" (Jacky Cheung song) "Double Trouble" (Lynyrd Skynyrd song) Double Trouble" (Otis Rush song)

• "Double Trouble", a song by
Francesca & Mikaela

• "Double Trouble", a song by Mad Lion
featuring KRS-One

• "Double Trouble", a song by The Roots from
Things Fall Apart

• "Double Trouble", a song from the
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban film soundtrack album

"Double Trouble (Team Rocket)", a song from the Pokémon soundtrack album Pokémon 2.B.A. Master

I don't know about Zomby, but I play by ear. It hurts the lobes at first, but you get used to it!!!

Wily, do you use earpicks, or do you gradually develop calluses? Does your ear ring get caught in the strings?

"Double Trouble" (The Cars song) <

"Double Trouble" (Elvis Presley song),

"Double Trouble" (Jacky Cheung song) "Double Trouble" (Lynyrd Skynyrd song) Double Trouble" (Otis Rush song)

• "Double Trouble", a song by
Francesca & Mikaela

• "Double Trouble", a song by Mad Lion
featuring KRS-One

• "Double Trouble", a song by The Roots from
Things Fall Apart

• "Double Trouble", a song from the
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban film soundtrack album

"Double Trouble (Team Rocket)", a song from the Pokémon soundtrack album Pokémon 2.B.A. Master

The version i'm playing is by Otis Rush.

Archived